Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] java services not refreshing

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] java services not refreshing
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone:

We set up two java service agents on our WebFOCUS 8 server, and we have set up the REFRESH parameter to be 400.

From documentation found on our report server:
quote:
This keyword defines the minimum number of new connections which can be accepted during the life of each Java server process. A Java server which have reached the limit will be terminated, and a new Java server will be started.

Right now, the Connections column lists over 1200 connections for each of our java service agents.

Shouldn't these java service agents have restarted due to the REFRESH parameter?

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFocus 8008,Server: Ubuntu Linux, Output: html/excel/pdf

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Not necessarily. The refresh can only happen when the service is idol (no active connections). In busy environments, I've seen the connections grow as much as 10 times the refresh number before there were no active connections.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello dhagen:

Thank you for your reply. Please see the screen shot of the reporting console of our reporting server.

Link to screen shot

You can see the two java server agents we have set up, their status, number of connections, and number of active connections. I have some follow up questions:

1. The screen shot shows the status for each java server agent as active. Is the idle status you refer to different than active?

2. There are two columns: Connections and Active Connections. To which column does the REFRESH parameter apply? You can see that both java server agents have 0 Active Connections, and the number of Connections is above our REFRESH threshold (400). So shouldn't the java service agents be restarted? What am I missing?

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dusty,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Two things:

- yes, I would expect them to re-start
- They have both restarted many times already. Note the jscomid's. They start at 1 and 2, so they have each restarted more than 20 times already.

See if there are any message in your edaprint. When they restart, messages will be there. Maybe they are not restarting them for some reason.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to post another reply with something else I discovered regarding this issue.

Apparently my report server knows it should restart the java service agents after so many sessions because I see messages in my log saying so.

quote:

07/24/2015 19:43:33.185 I JSCOM3 needs refresh after 5435 sessions (jscomid=48)
07/24/2015 19:43:38.062 I JSCOM3 needs refresh after 4079 sessions (jscomid=49)

These are the current IDs of my two java service agents. I will post more if I find out more information.

posted Hide Post
I just wanted to post a follow up on this issue. I installed patches on our WebFOCUS server which required a reboot. After I rebooted our server seems to obey the REFRESH parameter although I'm not sure the patches fixed the issue or if the reboot fixed the issue.