Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [WORKAROUND / WAIT till "WF 8"] Compressed Expandable feature?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[WORKAROUND / WAIT till "WF 8"] Compressed Expandable feature?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
Is there a FEATURE in a something (maybe in a newer version then 7.6.11) which "COMPRESSES" the output (width) of an "EXPANDABLE" report, without using multiple HOLD files, to produe an output similar to the below:
ENGLAND
  JAGUAR
    V12XKE AUTO
    XJ12L AUTO
  JENSEN
    INTERCEPTOR III
  TRIUMPH
    TR7
FRANCE
  PEUGEOT
    504 4 DOOR
ITALY
  ALFA ROMEO
    2000 4 DOOR BERLINA
    2000 GT VELOCE
    2000 SPIDER VELOCE
  MASERATI
    DORA 2 DOOR
Instead of the below:
COUNTRY   CAR              MODEL 
ENGLAND   JAGUAR           V12XKE AUTO 
                           XJ12L AUTO 
          JENSEN           INTERCEPTOR III 
          TRIUMPH          TR7 
FRANCE    PEUGEOT          504 4 DOOR 
ITALY     ALFA ROMEO       2000 4 DOOR BERLINA 
                           2000 GT VELOCE 
                           2000 SPIDER VELOCE 
MASERATI                   DORA 2 DOOR
I'd like to use this as drilldownable menu selection within a launch page.

Thanks in advance, Doug

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
FML

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ARG... But, Thanks... Anyway within a "standard report" / fex / procedure? I'll check out FML in the meantime...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Doug, I think you are looking for Expand By Row, a 7.7 feature...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Expand By Row, a 7.7 feature
That';s probably what I was thinking about. I heard something about that in Summit `11...

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hey Doug,

Dave Smith, Brinker, used jQuery and produced what I think you want. Also, Dan Satchell used WebFOCUS, but, with HOLD files.
You could also use multiple frames, if this is for a Dashboard type of function, and, drill into those frames.

Dave's and Dan's stuff here

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom, Checking out Dave's and Dan's stuffnow... Cool

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Doug,

Tom's got a good memory! If you want the accordian capability pre 7.7, give it a try.

Since last year, I've come to embrace the McGyver light...if you don't want the accordian capability, this technique will work. See my other articles and posts for more on the technique but, try the folowing code and see if it gives you what you're looking for:

FILEDEF MCMAS DISK MCGYV.MAS
-RUN
-WRITE MCMAS FILENAME=mcgyv, SUFFIX=FIX     , $
-WRITE MCMAS   SEGMENT=ONE, SEGTYPE=S0, $
-WRITE MCMAS     FIELDNAME=CONTROL, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
-WRITE MCMAS   SEGMENT=TWO, SEGTYPE=S0, PARENT=ONE, OCCURS=VARIABLE, $
-WRITE MCMAS     FIELDNAME=CHAR1, USAGE=A1, ACTUAL=A1, $
-WRITE MCMAS     FIELDNAME=CTR, ALIAS=ORDER, USAGE=I4, ACTUAL=I4, $
FILEDEF MCGYV DISK MCGYV.FTM
-RUN
-WRITE MCGYV XABC
JOIN CONTROL WITH BODYTYPE IN CAR TO UNIQUE CONTROL IN MCGYV AS J2
DEFINE FILE CAR
CONTROL  /A1 WITH BODYTYPE='X';
SORT     /A50=IF CTR EQ 1 THEN COUNTRY     ELSE
              IF CTR EQ 2 THEN COUNTRY|CAR ELSE COUNTRY|CAR|MODEL;
DISPLAY  /A50=IF CTR EQ 1 THEN COUNTRY     ELSE
              IF CTR EQ 2 THEN '   '|CAR   ELSE '         '|MODEL;
END
SET SHOWBLANKS=ON
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES/P12.2CM
BY SORT NOPRINT
BY DISPLAY AS ''
BY CTR NOPRINT
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
FONT='ARIAL', SIZE=10,GRID=OFF,$
TYPE=DATA,STYLE=BOLD       ,SIZE=12,BACKCOLOR='STEEL BLUE',COLOR=WHITE,WHEN=CTR EQ 1,$
TYPE=DATA,STYLE=BOLD+ITALIC,SIZE=10,WHEN=CTR EQ 2,$
TYPE=DATA,STYLE=NORMAL     ,SIZE=8 ,WHEN=CTR EQ 3,$
ENDSTYLE
END

Works in most of the popular output formats.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DavSmith,

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 20, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tom ... Dave: Thanks...

Now, is there an EXPANDABLE version of this for HTML? The use of the same font sytle on each level is acceptable.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
SET EXPANDBYROW=ON 
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
	DEALER_COST
	RETAIL_COST
BY  CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
BY  CAR.COMP.CAR
BY  CAR.CARREC.MODEL
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD 
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, FONT='ARIAL', SIZE=10, GRID=OFF,$
END

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Doug, NJSDEN's example will work great under 7.7, but not with 7.6.

If you are at WF 7.6 (you're signature indicates that) or less and want the vertical accordian, a javascript solution such as found at the link Tom refers you to is probably you're best answer.

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 20, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
NJSDEN: Thanks, but no thanks. That's the standard "ON TABLE SET EXPANDABLE ON" functionality. I need a "compressed" (for the lack of a better word) version of that. Probably JavaScript ~ As DavSmith mentioned below.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Expert
posted Hide Post
DavSmith: Thanks... Yep: 7.6.11. And, Yep: I "want the vertical accordian". And, Nope: I don't 'want' JS, but, I may 'need' JS... Picky, ain't I?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Doug, I did not pay close attention to your platform version and therefore provided a solution that is not feasible in your case.

However, SET EXPANBYROW=ON does not provide the same standard functionality of SET EXPANDABLE=ON.

Set EXPANDBYROW does indeed create a tree-like structure where only the first level shows up with a (+) icon and inner levels are expanded in a row-like direction with their values contained *in the same column* which is what you expressed taht you needed.

EXPANDABLE on the contrary, displays each "expanded" inner level in a new column of their own (not by row) and that's what make those 2 settings different.

Anyway, EXPANDBYROW is useless to you as it's only available in 7.7.x and not in 7.6.11. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: njsden,

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Expert
posted Hide Post
njsden<:
quote:
Anyway, EXPANDBYROW is useless to you as it's only available in 7.7.x and not in 7.6.11. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Your apology is totally accepted (even though it was not needed).

We are coding something to a future upgrade of WebFOCUS 8. Unfortunately, this project needs to be in by the end of January 2012 and "8" is not happening till shortly after that.

Thanks again... I'll close this for now...