Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     txt file as input or other suggestion

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
txt file as input or other suggestion
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
We happen to have a list of accounts that we need to have in our where statement that are in the thousands. Webfocus does not seem to allow that many accounts in a where statement.

We thought we would write the accounts out to a file and then join to the file doing an inner join and would therefore drop any accounts we don't need. I have 2 questions ...
1. is there a different way we should handle this that would be recommended?
2. I tried putting the accounts in a txt file and then I created a mas with a suffix=fix but it does not seem to find the accounts. It does not give me an error, it just says 0 records in table. Should the extension be something other than txt? I've tried searching the web for file format, but I'm not finding anything on this. I do have the file in the same directory as the mas.

Thanks.

webfocus 8.105M; os: windows; pdf, html, exl2k, csv

Posts: 179 | Registered: November 10, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Did you include a filedef statement?

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
When we import files, we must:

1. Create a master file description (like you did)
2. Make sure the file is sorted
3. Modify the read/write access
4. Include a FILEDEF statement pointing to the location of the data file.

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
This may sound silly not knowing your data but is the "NOT IN" list smaller and easier to deal with? You have thousands IN the list but do you have only a few NOT IN the list? The opposite values may be something to try.

Using: WF 7.1.5, XP Pro, Tomcat, Self Serve

Posts: 81 | Location: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: August 07, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm trying the filedef statement now.

The not in list is much bigger. So, that wasn't an option.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm getting data now. I put in a filedef and also changed the format of the file to .dat Thanks.

Guru
posted Hide Post
More than happy to help.

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

posted Hide Post
Instead of doing the JOIN, you could just read your text file in the WHERE. You would still need the filedef for your file, then you would code your WHERE with IN FILE filename instead of the normal WHERE expression.

If your account file is called ACCTFILE.TXT and the field you're looking for is ACCOUNT, then this is what it looks like:

First you still need the FILEDEF

FILEDEF ACCTFILE DISK E:\ACCTFILE.TXT

or whatever the filedef for your platform is

Then when you're ready for your WHERE it goes like this

WHERE ACCOUNT IN FILE ACCTFILE

The WHERE IN FILE has much larger limitations than the regular WHERE has (the documentation says file size limit is 16,000 bytes). If you exceed the 16,000 byte file size, you can change the WHERE to IF. For IF, the file can include 32,767 literals. The values in the file must be in single quotes if they contain blanks or mathematic operators.

You could also build your list of accounts in a subquery, hold that output as a FORMAT ALPHA file and then use your held file in the WHERE IN FILE statement. This would eliminate the need to create/maintain a .mas and .txt file and would make your ACCOUNTS list very dynamic.

I'm not sure which would be more efficient, the JOIN or the WHERE. It probably depends on your platform. This is what we LOVE about WebFOCUS. There always seems to be several ways to accomplish what you need. Hope this gives you some other options.

Deb

WebFOCUS 7.6.11 on Win2003 Server
WebFOCUS 7.7.03 on Win2003 Server
Published, AdHoc, ReportCaster
Output in all variants of Excel

Posts: 29 | Location: Ravenna, OH | Registered: December 10, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Pam,

Here is another alternative method using MATCH FILE syntax. This may be less efficient but simpler code. I used the CAR file to demonstrate the technique.

-* Create your list of accounts using this
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM CNT.COUNTRY
BY COUNTRY
WHERE COUNTRY NE 'ENGLAND' OR 'JAPAN'
ON TABLE HOLD AS THELIST
END

-* Create the final DATA file using this
MATCH FILE THELIST
SUM E02
BY COUNTRY
RUN
FILE CAR
PRINT CAR MODEL BODYTYPE
BY COUNTRY
AFTER MATCH HOLD AS FINALDAT OLD
END

-* This shows the end result
TABLE FILE FINALDAT
PRINT *
END

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post