Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Index to slow

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Index to slow
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,
i m creating a holdfile with

TABLE FILE xxx
PRINT *
BY field1 AS field1_ind
BY field2 AS field2_ind
ON TABLE HOLD AS NEWFILE FORMAT FOCUS INDEX field1 field2
END

so the master has the fields

field1
field2
field1_ind
field2_ind

then i m running a table with

TABLE FILE NEWFILE
PRINT *
WHERE field1 EQ ... and field2 EQ ...
END

and another tabele with

TABLE FILE NEWFILE
PRINT *
WHERE field1_ind EQ ... and field2_in EQ ...
END

Problem: the first table without where Statement on index fields is running faster then the second table. Did you ever seen this behaviour?

regards
Wasilios voutsinas

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Wassi,

Does the master have all 4 fields?
I only see two in the query with AS
So where is the index on? field1 field2 or field1_ind field2_ind ?

Greets,
Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave,
all the fields are in the master. the first two fields are comming from PRINT * and the indexed fields from the BY field1 as field1_ind and so on

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

posted Hide Post
the indexed fields are field1_ind and field2_ind

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Wassi,
According to what you show file xxx has only 2 fields, namely field1 and field2.
I suppose there is a reason to sort your hold file. However in your hold file the indexed fields are field1 and field2, not field1_ind and field2_ind. That is why your first TABLE on NEWFILE runs faster because it is the one using the indexes. I would write:

TABLE FILE xxx
BY field1 
BY field2 
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
ON TABLE HOLD AS NEWFILE FORMAT FOCUS INDEX field1 field2
END
TABLE FILE NEWFILE
PRINT *
WHERE field1 EQ ... and field2 EQ ...
END

Something else: I never use PRINT * unless for simple tryouts and definitely not PRINT * with BY statements.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Think of it this way,

The INDEX statements points to the original fields, and the AS doesn't take until later, so FOCUS has two fields for each index field to pick from.

As Danny says, don't ever use PRINT *, always specify each field, its good programming practice.

And safer in the long run.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post