Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOL] Amper field in Object Inspector in Painter doesn't show up as a field to select

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOL] Amper field in Object Inspector in Painter doesn't show up as a field to select
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Is there a known problem with Painter and using the Object Inspector to select a Amper field that starts with a number. Such as "&1YRAGO" ?? If if change the field to read "&YR1AGO" it will show up in the Object Inspector. It does not like a number (1) as the first character in the Amper name. I had to use the Text Editor to create most of my program or recreate the field names, but I spent almost 2 days thinking trying to figure out why I could not find my created Amper field in the Object Inspector. Can some one let me know if this okay to create a Amper field using a number aa the first character. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7.7
Unix/Tomcat
ZLinux on System Z
DB2 Relational DB

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Somewhere in the manuals is that one little remark:
quote:
A variable name may be any combination of the characters A through Z, 0 through 9, and the underscore (_). The first character of the name must be A through Z.

Hope this helps ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Yes this helps, but I would like to find this for my documentation. How do I search on it, or is it in a Training Manual you are talking about? Which class? This would be very helpful, thanks.

WF 7.7
Unix/Tomcat
ZLinux on System Z
DB2 Relational DB

Expert
posted Hide Post
Page 213, Naming Conventions for Local and Global Variables, "Developing Reporting
Applications" Version 7 Release 6 DN4500805.0408 or wf761appslang.pdf.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
<JG>
posted
quote:

Reference: Naming Conventions for Local and Global Variables
Local and global variable names are user-defined, while system and statistical variables
have predefined names. The following rules apply to the naming of local and global variables:
A local variable name is always preceded by an ampersand (&).
A global variable name is always preceded by a double ampersand (&&).
Embedded blanks are not permitted in a variable name.
If a value for a variable might contain an embedded blank, comma, or equal sign, enclose
the variable in single quotation marks when you refer to it.
A variable name may be any combination of the characters A through Z, 0 through 9, and
the underscore. The first character of the name should be a letter.
You can assign a number instead of a name to a variable to create a positional variable.
The underscore may be included in a variable name, but the following special characters
are not permitted: plus sign, minus sign, asterisk, slash, period, ampersand, and
semicolon.

DN4500805.1208 WebFOCUS Developing Reporting Application Version 7 Release 6

Downloadable from IBI's doc site

Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Just beat me Ginny but there is a later vervion than .0408

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thanks, JG. I do have to be careful that I don't download the manuals that have been updated beyond the release I have installed for my users. We are still at 765.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your help. This what I was looking for.

WF 7.7
Unix/Tomcat
ZLinux on System Z
DB2 Relational DB

<JG>
posted
Pleased to help.

Ginny,

Problem with 7.6 documentation is that they just keep updating it and do not give any indication of what sub-release
a feature is available in.

My personal view is if they want to do it that way, they should have the base documentation and then appendices
for sub releases.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I really don't have a problem with the way it is right now. My rule of thumb is to not download anything with a later date than the release I have installed just in case they changed the behaviour of something or enhanced an existing feature. That protects me from a developer checking something out and trying it when it is not available. and, not that they would, heaven forbid that they'd need to look at more than one manual.

Ginny