Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     HTML Composer: Where is the error message supposed to display?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
HTML Composer: Where is the error message supposed to display?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
HTML Composer.

Set a Control to Selection Required: Yes.

When I run the form and click on Submit without selecting a value in the dropdown list, I get a red border around the Control, but there is no message - am I not supposed to see a message, perhaps in the Status Bar at the bottom of the browser window?

Thanks,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You're right. There should be a popup dialogue. I don't recall running into the situation since using 7.7.x but up through 7.6.11 there was a dialogue along with the red border. That's probably something to open a case for to report a bug.

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF

Posts: 175 | Location: Pomona, NY | Registered: August 06, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
At the status bar at the bottom of the active browser window is a message that states to select a value. Unless you have done something to prevent that.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Gold member
posted Hide Post
There is no error message with the red box around the control. You could request a New Feature or validate the control in JavaScript and if the value of the control is empty send an alert and provide your own message.

WebFOCUS 8103, Windows, App Studio

Posts: 80 | Location: NYC | Registered: November 13, 2008Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
There is no dialog, just a message in the status bar.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
There's no message in the status bar in IE 9. In Firefox 14 you have to download an add-on to have a status bar and even then there is no message shown.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Alex,

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF

Posts: 175 | Location: Pomona, NY | Registered: August 06, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
@David,
Is there an WF amper variable that can be tested to see if validation has failed? I want to test to see if all parameters have been satisfied before enabling a button on submit.
Thanks

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.1.05
Windows 7 Professional
IE 11 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m.
Mostly HTML, PDF, Excel, and AHTML

Posts: 272 | Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: September 30, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
No message in the status bar if IE 8 - just a red rectangle around the control.

"Unless you have done something to prevent that" - I wonder what that could be, since I didn't do any customization.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Here is a screenshot of IE9 with the red box and the message in the status bar. I've never tried to show an image on Focal Point, so I hope this works...

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Guru
posted Hide Post
There is a security setting that controls this. It is called "Allow status bar updates via script". For the Intranet Zone, it is enabled, for the Internet Zone, it is disabled.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
The reporting part of our product (implemented using WebFOCUS) is embedded in our product and therefore should look and feel the same. In the rest of our product, like almost everywhere else I can see on the internet, not providing a selection for a mandatory parameter results in the display of a red asterisk, plus a text indicating what the asterisks mean.
So my question is: "How can we make this happen in WebFOCUS?"

If the answer is "Do it yourself in JavaScript" I'd like to know whether WebFOCUS provides any support. I mean, can I detect somehow that WebFOCUS has put a red rectangle around an input control, and is there an array of input control IDs somewhere accessible that tells me what mandatory parameters are missing, and when the user enters one of these values can I detect this (e.g. by means of an update of this array)?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Marc97229,

WebFOCUS 8.0.0.8, Windows 7

Posts: 36 | Location: Portland, OR (USA) | Registered: October 11, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I use jQuery and do my own validation.

Francis