Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Dimensions - Any Working example?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Dimensions - Any Working example?
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi All,

I have a requirement that would use dimensions. I am completely new to this concept. If anyone can provide any inputs (code snippet would be superb) how to go about creating a simple dimension and then how to use it to draw reports, it will be a great help.

I am going through the manuals, but a working code, that I could just deploy and run would make the learning process much faster.

Thanks in advance for the help Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Web Focus 7.1.6
Hosted on Unix Box

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It all depends a bit on what your definition of a dimension is.
For some a dimension is a complete concept, for others it is just a simple BY statement.
So please elaborate a bit on exactly what your requirement is. By understanding precisely what you need, I think we can help you better.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi GamP,

I am not referring to BY clause. Let us take the example of LOCATION as a dimension and PERIOD as another dimension.

I can have an heirarchy like AREA -> REGION -> COUNTRY -> STATE -> CITY for the LOCATION dimension, and YEAR -> QUARTER -> MONTH as PERIOD dimension.

I want to know how I should setup the dimension (starting from their creation) so that I get optimal performance.

Let us take example of SFO (SanFrancisco). Let us say, we are trying to get the number of people joining the IBI Forum on a monthly basis across the Globe.

Now if there are 2 people who joined from SFO in October, and 3 in November, then when the user queries in the report, he should see the following:

Count for SFO for October: 2
Count for SFO for November: 3
Count for SFO in Quarter 4: 5
Count for California for October: 2
Count for California for Quarter 4: 5

So essentially, depending on what the user is querying for, he will get the values accordingly (computed of course).

I need tips on how to go about creating the dimension, how to organize my file for optimal performance, and if possible a report that is drawn using these dimensions (using computation logic)

Please let me know if you want me to explain further. Thanks for the help!!!

Web Focus 7.1.6
Hosted on Unix Box

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Do you have Developer Studio installed on your PC?
Because DevStudio has a very nice called the Dimenson Builder.
This tool makes it quite easy building your own dimensions using a visual method to do so.
I'd check it out, if I were you...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post