Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     XSS problem with Report Preloader

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
XSS problem with Report Preloader
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
So within our reports we use a report preloader, it's basically what Tony used in this thread:

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/groupee/forums/a/...1057331/m/7091069641

We had a security audit done and found out we are exposed to XSS attacks. Basically entering something like "%22%3E%3CSCRIPT%3Ealert(%22XSS%22);%3C/SCRIPT/%3E" in place of a parameter in the URL.

I spoke with IBI about this and they suggest I use...

<if> HTTP_REFERER CONTAINS "<script" //=
OR HTTP_REFERER CONTAINS "%3CSCRIPT"
<HTMLFORM> &IBI_HTML_DIR/redirect.html
<EXIT>
<endif>

...in my site.wfs file which should catch this parameter in the URL and redirect it out of the report, except what happens is that the report preloader is only sent http://[servername]/ibi_apps/WFServlet as it's URL and the alert box still pops up, only after the preloader runs does the redirect page load (it will catch the XSS attack then).

I also tried searching the QUERY_STRING instead of the HTML_REFERER but the parameter comes up blank instead of "%22%3E%3CSCRIPT%3Ealert(%22XSS%22);%3C/SCRIPT/%3E".

Has anyone run into an issue like this and can help me out? It would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Eric

dev: WF 7.6.5 w/IIS + Tomcat

prod: WF 7.6.5 w/IIS + Tomcat

Posts: 153 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: February 24, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That preloader thread was a little long - and I drank a little too much last night - to completely digest. So if I dumb this down, you would like to stop any request that hits the webfocus web application that contain a parameter value that has "<script" in it.

I would suggest looking into implementing a servlet filter that will listen for all requests to /ibi_apps. You could have the filter then iterate through the parameter values and check for the offending value. The the filter could then forward the request to a safe and simple error message via a jsp.

Thoughts?

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, that is exactly what we were looking to do but not exactly sure how.

Any references that can help me accomplish this?

Posts: 153 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: February 24, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Do you know Java? If not, pm me your email. I'll try to get something to you by early next week. It is not much work (it should only be approx 20 lines of java code), but I don't have a lot of down time these days.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I do but I'm not the best at it. If I could even get a reference to a website that shows something similar I can modify it to my needs. Either way...thanks.