Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [solved] Header Variables Not Showing

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[solved] Header Variables Not Showing
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi All,

I have a report that has a header with variables that are assigned during the define. For some reason they are not showing up on every page of the report. Sometimes they'll show up on the first page and other times they wont, they'll just show as a '.'.

Here's an example of the code...

DEFINE FILE XXXX
DATE/A10 = TODAY(DATE);
REPORTHEADER/A250 = IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '1') THEN 'Total Clients'
ELSE IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '2') THEN 'Clients With No Insurance'
ELSE IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '3') THEN 'Clients With Insurance'
ELSE IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '4') THEN 'Clients With Coverage'
ELSE IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '5') THEN 'All Other';
RANGETYPE/A20 = IF ('&RANGE' EQ 'A_A') THEN '0 - 10'
ELSE IF ('&RANGE' EQ 'A_B') THEN '11 - 20'
ELSE IF ('&RANGE' EQ 'A_C') THEN '31 - 40'
ELSE IF ('&RANGE' EQ 'A_D') THEN '41 - 50';
end
TABLE FILE XXXX
PRINT
ID AS 'ID'
Manager AS 'MANAGER'
Provider AS 'PROVIDER'
HEADING
"Client Services"
"Report Generated: <DATE"
"<REPORTHEADER"
"that exceed the total by <RANGETYPE"
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
END

*i'm in 7.7 on this project

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TomS.,

WebFOCUS 8.0.07 and 8.2.01M
UNIX, WINDOWS, ORACLE
PDF, CSV, Excel, TXT, XML, HTML

Posts: 65 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 17, 2012Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
To add to this... there is a join to a hold file before the define. It appears the carrot values are only showing on pages where the first record is located in the hold file. On pages where the first record is not in the hold file but is in the xxxx table the carrot values are showing as a period.

UNIX, WINDOWS, ORACLE

Master
posted Hide Post
Tom,

First wrap your code in the code tags. Some of your stuff isn't showing up properly.

I would try a few things.

1) I would put -set &ECHO=ALL at the beginning of your fex and see how the variables are resolving. This should tell you right away what your issue is.

2) I would use &SECTIONHEAD.QUOTEDSTRING instead of '&SECTIONHEAD'. because your variable is in quotes it may not be resolving properly. (probably not this, but I like to use that anyways)

3) I would look at whatever resolves the &SECTIONHEAD variable. Since you don't have that piece listed here, I can't help you on that one.

4) you don't finish your Define for REPORTHEADER or RANGETYPE. It should have a final ELSE statement for what to do when it doesn't find one of those values.

5) I would put a page break on your REPORTHEADER field. The header values that will be displayed are whatever the first value of the internal table for the data being shown on the page.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You're DEFINEing a REPORTHEADER column based on some conditions. To see different ones on different pages, you need to add a BY REPORTHEADER NOPRINT PAGE-BREAK to ensure the proper value appears in the header.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Eric, I'm not useing &variables...I fixed my post to be accurate. The defines are finished, I just cut everything down to provide a smaller sample.(sorry)

Francis, The report should have the same header on every page. The REPORTHEADER is not a column used and sorting by it has no impact.

Thanks guys, this is so bizarre..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TomS.,

UNIX, WINDOWS, ORACLE

Expert
posted Hide Post
How can the heading be the same on every page when you're displaying a virtual (DEFINE) field in the heading

REPORTHEADER/A250 = IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '1') THEN 'Total Clients'
ELSE IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '2') THEN 'Clients With No Insurance'
ELSE IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '3') THEN 'Clients With Insurance'
ELSE IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '4') THEN 'Clients With Coverage'
ELSE IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '5') THEN 'All Other';
RANGETYPE/A20 = IF ('&RANGE' EQ 'A_A') THEN '0 - 10'
ELSE IF ('&RANGE' EQ 'A_B') THEN '11 - 20'
ELSE IF ('&RANGE' EQ 'A_C') THEN '31 - 40'
ELSE IF ('&RANGE' EQ 'A_D') THEN '41 - 50';

and

HEADING
"Client Services"
"<REPORTHEADER"

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

The DEFINE is based on a &variable which means that the field REPORTHEADER is a constant.
I wonder if this has to do that the REPORTHEADER field is not attached to a databse field.

However, Tom, why do you not use Dialog Manager and create a variable &REPORTHEADER:

-SET &REPORTHEADER = IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '1') THEN 'Total Clients'
- ELSE IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '2') THEN 'Clients With No Insurance'
- ELSE IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '3') THEN 'Clients With Insurance'
- ELSE IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '4') THEN 'Clients With Coverage'
- ELSE IF ('&SECTIONHEAD' EQ '5') THEN 'All Other';
HEADING
"Client Services"
"&REPORTHEADER "

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Correct Danny, the &variable is user defined earlier in the procedure so it is constant.

I had tried using DM to set &REPORTHEADER but was having issues...After seeing your post I realized I was missing the '-' before each line(doh). I went that route and all is working correctly.

It's still pretty strange that the header was acting the way it was though. I'll have to fiddle around with it during some down time.

Thank you all!

UNIX, WINDOWS, ORACLE