Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED - NFR Created] Anybody working with hidden domains?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED - NFR Created] Anybody working with hidden domains?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of you are working with hidden domains. As of 7.6.9 you have the ability to hide a domain from users while still making them a member of that domain.

I am allowing users to access reports and launch pages from the hidden domain by selecting those resources in content blocks on their dashboard group views.

This is great from the standpoint of managing resources in one place and deploying them in other 'places' (views).

There are two major issues that I have seen with this.
1) Saved Parameter Reports are saved in the same domain that the original report exists in.
2) Sending the output of a report to the ReportCaster Library catalogs that report under the domain name of the domain where the original report exists.
What this means is that users can save parameters and send reports to the library but they can never retrieve them because they are in the hidden domain.

I'm wondering if any of you have found a way around this issue.

Thanks!

Dan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Pinault,

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
How about just creating a shell fex in the "viewable" user domain that -INCLUDEs the code in the hidden domain. That way the code is still maintained in one place (which is hidden) but the actual fex that runs and controls the "save parameters" and library functionality is in a domain accessible to the users.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Darin,

I like that! I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Dan

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Bummer - it didn't work.

However, I noticed in the log for a ReportCaster job I ran to send a report to the library there is a 'Task Domain' identified. As expected, it has the value for the CommonFiles domain (commonfi/commonfi.htm).

I did a search for "task domain" and only came up with postings where people pasted in the log data. Nothing about how to set the Task Domain. I'm wondering if that can be done prior to using the Save Parameters button or the Send To Library button.

Dan

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dan, it sounds like you've exposed a gaping hole with this 'hidden domain' "feature". I would open a case, there could be work-arounds.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What part didn't work? You couldn't get the -INCLUDEd code to work or it runs but still does not appear in the correct domain when you save parameters or send to library.

If a scheduled fex exists in a specified domain, anything sent to the library should appear under that domain, regardless of whether or not it -INCLUDEs something from another domain.

Sorry, I don't have my 7.6.10 install up and running yet, so I can't play with it. Another week or two--

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Darin - The -INCLUDE method worked great. I was able to launch stuff located in the CommonFiles domain from the user domain. The problem still remains, however, that the domain in which the Saved Parameters Report and the Report Library categorization are still tied to the domain where the 'final' report or launch page resides.

Francis - You're right. This is a gaping hole in the hidden domain feature. I submitted a case and their response is that it would require some custom JavaScript. I ended up submitting a New Feature Request to have the ability to set a users 'Working Domain'.

Stay tuned...

Guru
posted Hide Post
Darin - I stand corrected! When I use the Scheduler to send a FEX to the Report Library it indeed uses the domain name from which the original FEX was run - even if that FEX simply calls another one located in another domain. Cool.

However, when using an HTML page it would appear that the domain from which the Save Parameters or Send to Library button is clicked is the domain that is used.

That gives me an idea of creating a 'shell' HTML page that I can copy to each user domain while still keeping the bulk of the launch page features in a single file on the CommonFiles domain. Something tells me though that the button has to exist on the same page that contains all the parameters you are saving. Maybe I just talked myself out of it. Nah! I have to at least try it to confirm my suspicion now Wink

Regards,

Dan

Guru
posted Hide Post
Well, I didn't have the chance to test my theory but I did find out that several people have requested this feature. It is on the NFR list but there is no estimated delivery date yet.