Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Filtering based on two fields from two different tables

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Filtering based on two fields from two different tables
 Login/Join

posted
This question relates to the problem I had a month ago.
http://forums.informationbuild...71057331/m/275109004

Now I also need to join a disputes table to the aging table and filter out all of the transaction numbers that are in the disputes table.

When I joined the Disputes table to the Aging table and filtered out all of the aging transaction numbers that are in the disputes table I received an error message saying that there are too many records returned.

This is what my where looks like:
Where (Disputes.Transaction_num NE AGING.TRNSCTN_NUMBER )  

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6.9
Windows
all output (Excel, PDF, HTML)

Expert
posted Hide Post
SQL and WebFOCUS both have a limited number of values that can be in a filter - SQL's limit is 1000.

Since these are DB2 tables, I would suggest doing a left outer join and filtering on a column in the cross reference table. Something like this:

-*-- Enable DB2 Outer Join -------------
SQL DB2 SET SQLJOIN OUTER ON
END
-RUN

JOIN
LEFT_OUTER AGING.TRNSCTN_NUMBER IN AGING TO Disputes.Transaction_num IN Disputes 
AS J1
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE AGING
PRINT
WHERE Disputes.Transaction_num IS MISSING;
END
-RUN

Because left outer join is oddly implemented in WebFOCUS (I think it gets fixed in some version newer than v7.6.5), this may actually not work - you may need to use SQL passthru instead:

SQL DB2
SELECT
FROM AGING
LEFT OUTER JOIN Disputes ON Disputes.Transaction_num = AGING.TRNSCTN_NUMBER

WHERE Disputes.Transaction_num IS NULL
FOR FETCH ONLY;

TABLE ON TABLE HOLD AS H001
END
-RUN

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The left outer join problem mentioned here: [CLOSED] Outer Join on only one of the Joins will be fixed in Version 7.7: TROUBLESHOOTING SQL:LEFT OUTER JOIN becomes INNER JOIN in pre-7.7 releases

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried doing a left outer join and filtering on a column but that didn't work either. That is the same thing I did for the first filter.

The thing that I do not understand is why does it return results when I have the invoice_notes.transaction_number filter but when I add a second filter, I get an error message saying that there are too many records being returned. Isn't the second filter supposed to return less results than only one filter?

WebFOCUS 7.6.9
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Post the complete code.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You should turn on SQL trace to see how the code is being translated into SQL. I suspect the addition of the second filter is, for some reason, causing WebFOCUS to manage the join instead of the database. This would result in all records being returned to WebFOCUS from all tables involved in the query.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
 SET ALL = PASS
JOIN
 LEFT_OUTER DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.TRNSCTN_NUMBER IN
DR_DETAIL_AGING_V TO UNIQUE DR_INV_NOTES_V.DR_INV_NOTES_V.TRNSCT_NUM
 IN DR_INV_NOTES_V TAG J0 AS J0
 END
JOIN
 LEFT_OUTER DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.TRNSCTN_NUMBER IN
DR_DETAIL_AGING_V TO UNIQUE DR_DISPUTES_V.DR_DISPUTES_V.TRNSCT_NUM
 IN DR_DISPUTES_V TAG J1 AS J1
 END
TABLE FILE DR_DETAIL_AGING_V
SUM
     'DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.INVOICEAMOUNT/P20.2CM'
 AS 'Obligation Amt'
     'CNT.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.TRNSCTN_NUMBER'
 AS 'Number of Invoices'
BY 'DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.COLLECTOR_NAME' AS 'Collector'
BY 'DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.COMPANY_ID' AS 'Business'
ON TABLE SUBHEAD
""
HEADING
"Invoices over 10 Days Past Due Follow Up"
FOOTING
""

WHERE ( DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.COMPANY_ID EQ '&Business' ) AND ( DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.COLLECTOR_NAME EQ '&Collector' )
	AND( DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.TRANSACTION_TYPE EQ 'Invoice' ) AND ( DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.PASTDUEDAYS GT 10 )
	AND ( J0.DR_INV_NOTES_V.TRNSCT_NUM NE DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.TRNSCTN_NUMBER ) AND ( J1.DR_DISPUTES_V.TRNSCT_NUM NE DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.TRNSCTN_NUMBER); 

For Collector A it returns 237 invoices
For Collector B I get an error because there are to many results

If I run the same report with only one filter
  ( J0.DR_INV_NOTES_V.TRNSCT_NUM NE DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V.TRNSCTN_NUMBER )

instead of the two I get 237 invoices for Collector A and 956 invoices for Collector B.

My questions is shouldn't the the two filters return less than 956 invoices for Collector B because using only 1 filter gets me 956 results and 2 should either be the same or less than that

WebFOCUS 7.6.9
Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As Dan said:

quote:
You should turn on SQL trace to see how the code is being translated into SQL.

Then, post the whole SQL translation in your trace (including any FOC messages and with any HTML entities already decoded, please!) so we can see what's going on ...

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

posted Hide Post
  0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE=        3  LINES=      1
 15.47.26 BS  (FOC2510) FOCUS-MANAGED JOIN SELECTED FOR FOLLOWING REASON(S):
 15.47.26 BS  (FOC2513) OUTER JOIN (ALL=ON or ALL=PASS) CANNOT BE PASSED
 15.47.26 BS  (FOC2598) FOCUS IF/WHERE TEST CANNOT BE PASSED TO SQL  : WHERE exp
 15.47.26 BS  (FOC2598) FOCUS IF/WHERE TEST CANNOT BE PASSED TO SQL  : WHERE exp
 15.47.26 BS  (FOC2590) AGGREGATION NOT DONE FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON:
 15.47.26 BS  (FOC2592) RDBMS-MANAGED JOIN HAS BEEN DISABLED
 15.47.26 AE    SELECT T1."COMPANY_ID",T1."COLLECTOR_NAME",
 15.47.26 AE   T1."TRANSACTION_TYPE",T1."TRNSCTN_NUMBER",T1."INVOICEAMOUNT",
 15.47.26 AE   T1."PASTDUEDAYS" FROM EMAGIA.DR_DETAIL_AGING_V T1 WHERE
 15.47.26 AE   (T1."PASTDUEDAYS" > 10) AND (T1."TRANSACTION_TYPE" = 'Invoice')
 15.47.26 AE   AND (T1."COLLECTOR_NAME" = 'Roslyn Tompkins') AND
 15.47.26 AE   (T1."COMPANY_ID" = '02084') FOR FETCH ONLY;
 15.47.26 AE    SELECT T2."TRNSCT_NUM" FROM EMAGIA.DR_INV_NOTES_V T2 WHERE
 15.47.26 AE   (T2."TRNSCT_NUM" = ?) FOR FETCH ONLY;
 15.47.26 AE    SELECT T3."TRNSCT_NUM" FROM EMAGIA.DR_DISPUTES_V T3 WHERE
 15.47.26 AE   (T3."TRNSCT_NUM" = ?) FOR FETCH ONLY;
 (FOC1400) SQLCODE IS -905 (HEX: FFFFFC77)
 : [57014] [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2] SQL0905N  Unsuccessful execution due to r
 : esource limit being exceeded.  Resource name = "ASUTIME", limit = "00000
 : 0000041" CPU seconds ("000000948600" service units) derived from "DB2ADM
 : .DSNRLST01".  SQLSTATE=57014
 L    (FOC1406) SQL OPEN CURSOR ERROR.  : DR_DISPUTES_V

WebFOCUS 7.6.9
Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The trace clearly shows that WebFOCUS is managing the join, which causes your query to exceed resource limits. I think you have two options:

1. if you are comfortable with coding SQL, code the query using pass-thru SQL so you can create a single, efficient query
2. split your query into two separate queries so you can apply as many filter criteria as possible to each, and join the resulting hold files in WebFOCUS to generate the final output

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post