Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
FILEDEF problem
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Could someone help me out. I am issuing a FILEDEF through the normal means and then doing a read from the file. However, I'm not seeing any data being returned.

-DEFAULT &INFO = ' ' ;
FILEDEF FILE1 CLEAR
FILEDEF FILE1 DISK C:\DATA\FILE1.TXT
-RUN
-READ FILE1 &INFO.A13.
-TYPE FILE1 DATA IS &INFO

...and yes, there is data in FILE1.TXT.

WF 533
Windows XP
Unix environment

Ken

Posts: 177 | Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 25, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ken, add the

? FILEDEF

command to see if your FILEDEF worked.

As well, what do you mean by "Windows XP" AND "Unix environment"?

Is the file on the Unix server?

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Some of this is probably fogginess due to my returning from vacation.

My version of WebFOCUS is installed on a unix box. I'm just running Windows XP on my desktop. One of the problems I'm running into could be that there is no local development through the install of WF. Hence, I don't have any apps to work with on my C drive.

I just did the ? FILEDEF and received the following:

Lname Device Lrecl Recfm Append Filename
============================================================
SCMDATA DISK 0 V /ibitemp/srv53/devl/webfocus/e
datemp/ts005268/C:\test.txt

I'm thinking I might have to change the location of my file.

Ken

Posts: 177 | Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 25, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

I also just found out that there is a shared drive between unix and Windows that I can use which will likely solve my problem.

Ken

Expert
posted Hide Post
The filedef should point to a location on the UNIX server.

Cheers.

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<toby mills>
posted
Hey Ken

I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents here. You should be fine letting focus write to the edatemp area, but you might want a more simple name instead of that DOS looking name.

So, try

DEFAULT &INFO = ' ' ;
FILEDEF FILE1 CLEAR
FILEDEF FILE1 DISK FILE1.TXT
-RUN
-READ FILE1 &INFO.A13.
-TYPE FILE1 DATA IS &INFO

Looks to me like that should work fine.

Or do an

APP FI FILE1 DISK FILE1.TXT

Using the APP command, maybe you could direct it to a real location easily enough by doing

APP FI FILE1 DISK myapp/FILE1.TXT

and from there, you can actually go do an LS on the file to see if it's there and take a look at what's being written in it.

-Toby

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
k. where's your master? is it on your path?
if it isn't, you'll get exactly the 0 lines you experienced.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
k.lane

you said that WebFOCUS is running on UNIX. So that means that when a filedef is issued, it is the WebFOCUS Reporting Server (WFRS) that is going to issues it. So the WFRS is looking at the UNIX file system. Yes, there can be shared drives between UNIX and Windows. However, the programs that access it share will us the Operating Systems file structure to access it. Unix File System Structure on UNIX (WFRS, etc...) and Windows File Systems on Microsoft Windows (Windows Explorer, etc...). With all that said the unix filedef would look something like this.

FILEDEF MYFILE DISK /opt/ibi/apps/myfile.txt
keep in mind that the UNIX file system is case sentative.

Hope this helps.