Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] 7.7.03 Hotfix 6

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] 7.7.03 Hotfix 6
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
We are running 7.7.03 and were forced to install hotfix 6 due to issues with data migrator. After the installation, we are having issues on everything that references anything externally - images, javascript, and style sheets. I was told basically that links to external items on the server (not in the local domain) are not supported. This is absolutely ridiculous. Why would anyone insert something in every domain that could be put in a central location? This would make a relatively easy change (say to a style sheet or javascript) a much bigger change to do in every domain when it could be done in one location. The way we had this setup prior to the hotfix was working fine accessing external files.
The existing references to items in the domain quit working as well. We had to re-insert those to get them to work.

While messing around re-inserting a local (to the domain) javascript file, the style sheet removed itself (this was also located on the server). As an experiment I copied it to the local domain with all the images the style sheet uses. It appears that the images the style sheet references aren’t working locally.

I have found that if you edit the html and save it while on the html tab any images that are on the page will disappear. If you go back and save it on the Design tab and run it, the images will re-appear, but this does not help the external javascript connection.

We have a case with IBI that originally addressed the missing images, but we were told to replace a dll and change every reference in our page from rtfilename to src every time we make an html change and save the page. This does not resolve our issue, but he just kept repeating that this was the fix, and I’d have to provide an example of each individual issue.

Is there anyone successfully using hotfix 6 or rolled back from it? I feel our only option is to rollback regardless of what it should have fixed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

7.7 Windows HTML, PDF, Excel

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
We are using 7.7.03 Hotfix 4 and we started noticing these 'rtfilename=' that wouldn't let us link to an external file for anything. We too have a central location for all our css, images, js etc. But, we were able to get everything working when we changed the code back to what it was before we installed the hotfix for referencing external files. Didn't have to do this with images because they are all referenced in the css file itself.

Webfocus 8, All Outputs

Posts: 47 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 09, 2011Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
We upgraded our reporting server to 7.7.04. This caused the image problems that you are experiencing. To resolve this, we had to upgrade both our client (which is on our server) and local dev studio installations to hotfix6. This resolved our the image/styling issue. However, it is hit and miss with the meta-data tools and we have opened up a case.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Posts: 402 | Location: Upland, IN | Registered: June 08, 2012Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Shelzalee,

Please tell me who told you to take a DLL and then manually change "rtFilename" references to "src"? I am the Product Manager for HTML Composer, and that is not an approved thing to do. Also, please send me a reproduction for your issue that was created by our switch to using "rtFilename". I would like to get it directly from you so we may begin to address it. This change was made because web servers attempt to load "src" immediately, and we use a symbolic for the context roots that is resolved via JavaScript, so HTTP 404's occurred and a customer raised that as an issue. Using a custom attribute like "rtFilename", does not get loaded immediately by a web server and therefore does not get HTTP 404 errors. Please send me your reproduction, and don't manually change references. You have my sincere apologies for that. Please tell me who told you this so we may head this off.

Thank you.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I responded privately with our case info. I'll post here later if I have anything valuable to add for a resolution.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hey David,

How do you suggest we add css/js files etc from a central location in HTML Composer? We have always had to go into the code and put in '/approot/jslocation/jsfile.js'. Would like to know if there is a better, correct way of doing this.

Thanks,
Prince

Webfocus 8, All Outputs

Posts: 47 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 09, 2011Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Prince Joseph,

Since those are web files, they need to reside in an app folder on the WebFOCUS Client. Then when you use the Insert -> CSS/Scripts dialog, navigate up fr the current location to "Web Applications", and from there navigate down to the app folder that has the files and select them. We will generate the appropriate reference we need in the HTML file.

Thanks.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Has anyone used this Web Application area as a repository for reusable code without it copying the files locally into the domain?

I don't have access to this area in development yet, but I was able to try this on our sandbox, and it still copied the files locally. We may not have something setup correctly.

Expert
posted Hide Post
As far as I can see, no matter where the file resides, if you use the GUI to add a JS or CSS file, it is copied into the MRE domain "Other" folder. In my experience, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera all have trouble with JS that is located in this folder. I manually add the JS and CSS links to the Web Application area - which, in my humble opinion is where web-related files should be located.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Shelly,

Unfortunatly, the Web Applications navigation is only a release 8 feature. Sorry about that. In release 77, you need to type the full URL to the file in the "Get source file" dialog in order to get a reference. For example - ort/approot/foldername/file.css/.js" target="_blank">http://serverRazzerort/approot/foldername/file.css/.js

I tried this myself and it works as you expect. The file needs to reside in APPROOT on the WebFOCUS Client machine.

I don't know if Support told you, but we have fixed 77x to keep references intact when they use a known alias like /approot. That was fixed just yesterday.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
David,
I'm having a little trouble deciphering the example you posted. I experimented with typing out the full web address http://server/approot/foldername/file.css(or .js) and I was able to access the file I was attempting to get to. After adding it via the “get source” dialog box and revisiting this box after the addition, my script did not appear listed there any longer, but I did still see it in the code. Is there another example you posted with the option of the relative path using /approot/foldername/file.ext? We would not want to hard code our server name as this moves from our development, to QA, to production all with different server names.

When will the fix you mentioned being done yesterday be available?

Guru
posted Hide Post
Shelly,

You would need to as the Support Group about the fix being available. As far as relative reference goes, it is not available in 77x at this time, but I have it in Programming to be added. I just cannot say when it will be done.

David Glick
WebFOCUS Division
Direct (917) 339-5560
Fax (212) 947-5168