Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Question about multiple subheads

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Question about multiple subheads
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I have a need to create a report in Mainframe FOCUS that will produce heading information, followed by subheading information followed by more detail information, that I want to have appear as follows:

Main Heading: Joe Blow Address 1, etc
Second grouping: Grades received on various admissions tests
Next grouping: Classes taken

If anyone can toss some suggestions / advice my way on what might be a good way to do this, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you so much, in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webmeister,

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
It is hard to know what to tell you without knowing more about your data. But since you know that subheads are done on sort fields, you can do the first one on student id. For the others you might have to make up dummy ones.

In addition, the other two might require the use of the MacGyver technique. "All Things Different" might work.

Anyway, give us an example of the input data and a more robust output example and it would be easier to help you out.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi, Ginny, and thank you for replying.

What I'm trying to do is to make a multi-tiered report, somewhat like this:

Primary info, like name and student info as the main driving line, followed by lines of info regarding tests the student has taken (such as TAKS, TASP, etc), and finally, more detail lines showing courses the student has taken, so that the report comes out a little like this:

Name ID Major Minor
======================================
TAKS: 0100 TASP: 450 TEST1: 12
======================================
History
Calculus
Basketweaving
Archery

What I'm thinking is perhaps put the Name and Id into a Subhead line, then the test info into the main part of the report, and then do a subfoot to get the course info. Would something like that work?

Thanks again.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
If there are a fixed number of tests, then you could put the tests in a secondary subheading. Then your detail would be the courses.

If there are a variable number of tests AND a variable number of courses then putting either of these in a subheading or subfooting isn't probably the way you want to go. I would look at MacGyver to do this.

And when I ask for a model of input data, I mean what do the rows in your table look like.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi, Ginny,

I'm working on putting together a little snippet of what my data looks like.... most likely won't be until tomorrow before I get it together.

Thanks for your interest!

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Can Free Form reports help? Or look into the Pixel Perfect Painter. See the Technical Memo TM4656

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
need to create a report in Mainframe FOCUS

Hi, Rick, and thanks for replying. I'm not sure if those products can help, since we don't have them where I work. Also, where my initial request specified "need to create a report in Mainframe FOCUS", don't know also if those would work with what I'm trying to do. In any case, thanks for your suggestions.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Free Form reports is part of Focus/WebFOCUS. PPP works with Dev. Studio so that may not help.

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi, Rick,

No, PPP would not help, since we're working here with a VERY old version of mainframe FOCUS. Is Free Form part of mainframe FOCUS?

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
See the chapter 'Creating Free Form Reports' in the Focus for xxx Creating Reports manual.

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
WebMeister,

What you are saying is that you want to show 2 separate lists in you report: Test grades and courses taken. I'm afraid that the "free-form reports" will not solve your problem.

If we use the CAR file as an example, would you say that you would want to have a report sorted by COUNTRY and CAR, under which you would have rows of BODYTYPE and SALES, under which a list of STANDARD?

If not, could you provide a "watered down" master file of your data?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
WebMeister,

To give you a valid answer we need more information about the format of the data. Is it all in a single flat file or are multiple files involved? Are there record types? Is it in a database table(s) and what database? You may be looking for a WHEN statement.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post