Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Hiding column in Excel export

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Hiding column in Excel export
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
When we run the below code

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT DEALER_COST AS 'Dealer Cost'
BY CAR AS 'Car'
BY RETAIL_COST AS 'Retail Cost'
BY SALES AS 'Sales'
ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL RETAIL_COST
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K PIVOT
PAGEFIELDS COUNTRY
CACHEFIELDS MODEL
END

we get output as below in Excel

CAR Retailcost Sales Total

ALFA ROMEO 5,925 4800 4,915
6,820 12400 5,660
13000 5,660
AUDI 5,970 7800 5,063
BMW 5,940 8950 5,800
6,355 8900 6,000
9,097 14000 8,300
9,495 15600 8,400
13,752 14000 10,000
14,123 18940 11,000
DATSUN 3,139 43000 2,626
JAGUAR 8,878 0 7,427
13,491 12000 11,194
JENSEN 17,850 0 14,940
MASERATI 31,500 0 25,000
PEUGEOT 5,610 0 4,631
TOYOTA 3,339 35030 2,886
TRIUMPH 5,100 0 4,292
Grand Total 143,794

But the requirement is I do not wanted Dealer cost to be printed in the report. When I tried giving NOPRINT it throws error.
The output should have CAR ,DealerCost and Sales printed with Grand total on Dealer cost and Sales.

Please let me know if it is possible to hide a column while exporting to Excel? And also how to achieve Grand total on BY fields.

Thanks & Regards,
Sridevi
Webfocus 7.6.5 | Windows |
HTML

Posts: 36 | Location: India | Registered: October 06, 2005Report This Post
<JG>
posted
To hide a column in a pivot table means having it as a CACHEFIELD or PAGEFIELD
or hiding it, once the pivot is opened.
That is either done manually or via a macro.

You cannot show totals for hidden fields in an Excel pivot table.

Excel Pivot tables do not allow totals/sub-totals on 'BY' fields, it is not logical from
a conceptual point of view.

It only allows totals/sub-totals on the columns/measures managed by the ‘BY’ fields.

Excel Pivot is not the solution for your requirement.

Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hiding a column,I meant hiding it when opening the report.

Actually when we give the fields to be totaled in the PRINT stmnt , they get displayed one below the other in the excel report.But I want them to be displayed one after the other as they get printed in the html report.Thats why I tried giving the measures in BY stmnt.

Is it possible to makes the measures get printed one after the other in excel report.

Also is it possible to give a default selected value in PAGEFILED instead of All.

Thanks & Regards,
Sridevi
Webfocus 7.6.5 | Windows |
HTML

Posts: 36 | Location: India | Registered: October 06, 2005Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Sridevi, You obviously do not understand the way Excel pivot tables work.

As I said you cannot show a total for a column without its detail.

The only way that you can display the measures in columns is to change them into column data
from an Excel pivot perspective.

The only way that you can adjust the display of what is seen when the pivot table is opened
is to do it using a macro or if you are 7.1 a WebFocus template.
That includes showing a specific page value and not all which is the Excel default.

The alternative option is to have Excel populate the data from WebFocus into an existing spreadsheet.

Switching to columns for the data means that once in Excel the order is controlled by Excel.
The effect of that is even if you force the display order to be RETAIL_COST SALES DEALER_COST
Microsoft Excel thinking that it knows better than you will switch it to DEALER_COST RETAIL_COST SALES.
The only way to over come this is to introduce a dummy ACROSS to maintain the order.

The following generates an Excel pivot table that you could apply a macro/template to,
which would do most of what you want.

FILEDEF PIVDATA DISK PIVDATA.FTM (APPEND
-RUN
-SET &CNT=0;
-REPEAT ENDREPEAT 3 TIMES
-SET &CNT=&CNT+1;
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
COMPUTE PIVCOLS/I1=&CNT;
COMPUTE PIVCOL/A12=IF &CNT EQ 1 THEN 'RETAIL_COST'
ELSE IF &CNT EQ 2 THEN 'SALES'
ELSE 'DEALER_COST';