Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Custom Table of Contents List

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Custom Table of Contents List
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I have some data organized as shown below. I want to create a custom Table of Contents that will concatenate the first and last VALUES in a BLOCK. In the example shown below the first two entries in the TOC would be...
'2 Wheel Tractors - Chainsaws'
'Chippers - Dumpers'

Maybe because it's Friday late in the day but I'm having a hard time coming up with the concept for grabbing the values from ROW_NUM 1, 50, 51, 100 and so on.

Will somebody please kickstart me in the right direction? Smiler

BLOCK_NUM      ROW_NUM      VALUES
---------      -------      ------
1              1            2 Wheel Tractors
|
|
|
|
|
|
1              50           Chainsaws
2              51           Chippers
|
|
|
|
|
|
2              100          Dumpers

Thanks!

Dan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Pinault,

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
For starters: use the LAST function (IF VALES EQ / NE LAST VALUES) in your DEFINE FILE block to determine whether or not the value of VALUES is within the same BLOCK_NUM. DEFINE TOC_ITEM/A99 (or whatever is required). Concatenate accordingly (concatenate LAST VALUES to TOC_VALUE, when the VALUES NE LAST VALUES). Hint: The first value of VALUES is NE to LAST value of VALUES. These are the basic building blocks that you can use - for a kickstart. I'll leave the design up to you. If you have difficulty with this then I'd recommend that you read up on those keywords and the usage thereof.

Have Fun with it.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug. That is just what I needed. Here is what I came up with (using PERSINFO for example)
SET ASNAMES = ON
-DEFAULT &FIELDNAME = 'PIN';
TABLE FILE PERSINFO
SUM FST.&FIELDNAME
RANKED AS ROWNUM BY &FIELDNAME
ON TABLE HOLD AS FOCCACHE/FIELDHOLD
END
TABLE FILE FOCCACHE/FIELDHOLD
PRINT
&FIELDNAME
ROWNUM
RANKED AS BLOCKNUM BY ROWNUM NOPRINT IN-GROUPS-OF 10
ON TABLE SET BYDISPLAY ON
ON TABLE HOLD AS FOCCACHE/BLOCKHOLD
END
DEFINE FILE FOCCACHE/BLOCKHOLD
CONCAT1/A99V = IF (BLOCKNUM NE LAST BLOCKNUM) THEN (&FIELDNAME);
CONCAT1A/A99V = LAST CONCAT1;
CONCAT2/A99V = IF (BLOCKNUM NE LAST BLOCKNUM) THEN (LAST &FIELDNAME) ELSE ('');
END
TABLE FILE FOCCACHE/BLOCKHOLD
PRINT BLOCKNUM ROWNUM &FIELDNAME CONCAT1 CONCAT1A CONCAT2 MAX.ROWNUM WITHIN TABLE
COMPUTE CONCAT2A/A99V = IF (ROWNUM EQ MAX.ROWNUM) THEN (&FIELDNAME) ELSE (CONCAT2);
COMPUTE TOC_ITEM/A99V = IF (CONCAT2A NE '')OR(ROWNUM EQ MAX.ROWNUM) THEN (CONCAT1A || ' - ' | CONCAT2A) ELSE ('');
COMPUTE TOC_BLOCK/I8 = IF(CONCAT2A NE '') THEN (IF (ROWNUM EQ MAX.ROWNUM) THEN (BLOCKNUM) ELSE (BLOCKNUM - 1));
ON TABLE HOLD AS FOCCACHE/TOCHOLD
END
TABLE FILE FOCCACHE/TOCHOLD
SUM FST.TOC_ITEM
BY TOC_BLOCK
WHERE TOC_BLOCK NE 0;
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
END

Cheers!

Dan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Pinault,

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
IN-GROUPS-OF 10 will partition the integer-valued field ROWNUM into [0-9], [10-19], etc. -- the lower bounds of the groups are multiples of the grouping factor. Since you are grouping on ROWNUM, which is defined to start from 1, your ranges will contain 1-9, 10-19, ...
Consequently,
(a) The first block will be one shorter than the rest, and
(b) if the population is an exact multiple of 10 your TOC winds up with an extra block covering a single value.

In short, it's better (marginally) to sort on an index that starts from zero (=ROWNUM-1), sorting that "in groups of" n, to partition the population and assign block numbers.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Jack,

You are correct. I did see that the first block had one less member than the rest and that the block numbering started from zero. Eventually I correct that with
COMPUTE TOC_BLOCK/I8 = IF(CONCAT2A NE '') THEN (IF (ROWNUM EQ MAX.ROWNUM) THEN (BLOCKNUM) ELSE (BLOCKNUM - 1));

Are you suggesting a different method than using RANK? Or perhaps adjusting the RANK value (RANK - 1) sooner?

Thanks,

Dan

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
How 'bout this.
-* File BLOCKS.fex

-DEFAULT &FILE=CAR, &KEY=CAR, &BLOCKSIZE=3
-DEFAULT &BLOCK=0
-IF &BLOCK GT 0 THEN GOTO BLOCKS.one ;

-* hold keys with assigned rownum and computed block number
TABLE FILE &FILE
  WRITE
    COMPUTE ROWNUM/I7 = LAST ROWNUM+1;
    COMPUTE BLOCK /I5 = 1+INT((ROWNUM-1)/&BLOCKSIZE);
  BY &KEY
ON TABLE HOLD AS FOCCACHE/HOLDKEYS FORMAT FOCUS INDEX BLOCK
END
-RUN
-* return list of blocks
TABLEF FILE FOCCACHE/HOLDKEYS
 WRITE
 FST.ROWNUM AS LOROW  NOPRINT
 LST.ROWNUM AS HIROW  NOPRINT
 FST.&KEY   AS LOKEY  NOPRINT
 LST.&KEY   AS HIKEY  NOPRINT
 COMPUTE RANGE/A50 =
   IF LST.ROWNUM GT FST.ROWNUM
     THEN FST.&KEY || (' ~ ' | LST.&KEY)
     ELSE FST.&KEY;
 BY BLOCK
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY AND ASNAMES ON
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END
-GOTO BLOCKS.end

-BLOCKS.one
-* return list of keys within requested block
TABLE FILE FOCCACHE/HOLDKEYS.BLOCK
 PRINT &KEY
 BY &KEY
 IF BLOCK EQ &BLOCK
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END
-BLOCKS.end

As indicated in the comments, the routine is double-purpose --

• (TOC request) EX with BLOCK=0 (default) and it creates the data file in Foccache and returns the TOC.
  • (Detail request) With BLOCK>0 it returns the detail lines for that block.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I like it! Definitely more efficient use of code than my version.

Now I remember why I used RANK instead of a COMPUTE. There is a bug in 7.6.9 where a plus sign (+) is replaced by a blank when the code is rendered from the HTML file. It works as a plain fex but now when it is part of a control on an HTML page. To get around that I had to come up with a way to do this without using a plus sign. Thus the RANK method.

When the bug is fixed I'll implement your version.

Thanks again!

Dan

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In that case, a workaround is to change +x to -(-x).

But if you store the code as a fex on the server, and limit the imbedded procedure code to an EX statement with appropriate parameters, the code becomes reusable (within the page and across pages), and nary a + in the HTML.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Guru
posted Hide Post
And that's why you get the karma level of 'master'!

Guru
posted Hide Post
Jack,

I've been looking at the code you posted here. Man, this is great! I guess I code like I fix my car - I usually take more stuff off than I need, only to create more work for myslef when it comes time to re-assemble.

I didn't realize you could use LAST on a virtual field like you do in the ROWNUM compute. Very helpful.
The simple math to calculate the BLOCK - it's so obvious when I look at it!

Question - why do you use the WRITE verb? Is there any advantage over using SUM?

Anyway, I appreciate your help. The techniques you show here will help me many more times!

Regards,

Dan

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Dan,
WRITE is synonymous with SUM, as is ADD. It's just a thing of what you're used to.
One is not better than the other, they're just the same.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post