Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
CHAINING
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT CHAIN FEATURE

I have 2 combo boxes from car file
country and car loaded by procedures loadcoun and loadcar

loadcoun:

TABLEF FILE CAR
SUM FST.COUNTRY BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END

Loadcar:

TABLEF FILE CAR
SUM CAR CAR BY CAR NOPRINT
WHERE COUNTRY EQ &COUNTRY
END

when I run the html I get all countries and all cars loaded at the start time. When I choose a country the car is supposed to be updated isnt it? I have chained them together and country is cainindex 1 and car is chainindex2

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 103 | Location: ricmmond va | Registered: September 30, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Do you have the "name" attribute in your SELECT TAG for the country set to "COUNTRY" (including the fact that it is uppercase)?

That could be your problem because if it is set to something else then the variable isn't actually reaching the second fex in the variable name that you require.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You will also need to have the following type of script included in the correct place within your HTML page -
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>
<!--
window.chain0=new Array(1);
window.chain0[0]=new String("[first tag id goes here];[second tag id goes here]");
window.chain0[1]=0
//-->
</SCRIPT>
Also, do you have the chain number in place on your tags?
inchainindex="1" chainnumber="0"
T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony:

Heres the html, Do you see anything wrong?

< !-- Generated by Report Layout Painter -->

HtmlPage<BR>

<script id=clientEventHandlersJS type=text/javascript>
function button1_OnClick(ctrl) {
// TODO: add validation code here
OnExecute(ctrl)
}

form2

COUNTRY

CAR

MODEL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: secret,

Posts: 103 | Location: ricmmond va | Registered: September 30, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
secret,

Edit your post by clicking on the middle icon in the lower left corner of your post and place
[code]
[/code]
around your code.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony:

do you mean ?

window.chain0[0]=new String("[COUNTRY];[CAR]");

Thanky you tony, I wonder why they don't just put this in the doc?

Bob

quote:
<script type=text/javascript>
< !--
window.chain0[0]=new String("[first tag id goes here];[second tag id goes here]");
window.chain0[1]=0
//-->

Expert
posted Hide Post
Bob,

As far as I can tell there is no script in place for the chain array. Not sure what version you are on but in 7.1.3 the script is as above.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
tONY

LOOK AT SCRIPT NOW , I AM ON 7.1.3. DOES SCRIP GO AFTER OTHER SCRIPT?

<!-- Generated by Report Layout Painter -->
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>HtmlPage
</TITLE>
<BASE href=HTTP://localhost:8080>
<SCRIPT id=clientEventHandlersJS type=text/javascript>
OnExecute(ctrl)
}

</SCRIPT>
<!--
window.chain0[0]=new String("[COUNTRY];[CAR]");
window.chain0[1]=0
//-->
</SCRIPT>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2963" name=GENERATOR>
</HEAD>
<BODY style="OVERFLOW: auto">  
<INPUT language=javascript id=button1 style="Z-INDEX: 1; LEFT: 160px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 260px" onclick=button1_OnClick(this) tabIndex=1 type=button value=Button name=button1 requests_list="0"> 
<FORM id=form2 style="Z-INDEX: 2; LEFT: 30px; WIDTH: 356px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 70px; HEIGHT: 155px" tabIndex=2 name=form2 method=post nextformcol="3" fexlist_list="button1">
<SPAN id=form2_formcaptionid style="Z-INDEX: 3; LEFT: 0%; WIDTH: 100%; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0%; HEIGHT: 12%" tabIndex=3 formcaption="1">form2 
</SPAN>
<FIELDSET id=form2_formbodyid style="Z-INDEX: 4; LEFT: 0%; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 99.98%; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 5.77%; HEIGHT: 68%; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none" tabIndex=4 formbody="1">
<SPAN id=text1 style="Z-INDEX: 6; LEFT: 10px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 10px" tabIndex=6>COUNTRY 
</SPAN>
<SELECT id=COUNTRY style="Z-INDEX: 7; LEFT: 10px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 26px" tabIndex=7 size=1 name=COUNTRY newchainnumber="0" cacheruntimedata="0" inchainindex="1" chainnumber="0" ibiformat="A10" addalloption="1" accept="0" operation="NONE" datafield displayfield datasource="loadcoun.fex" requiredfield="83390720" datatype="1" datafieldtype="INTIGER" sourcetype="typeFex" ibiapp_app="bob" ibic_server="EDASERVE" numofrecords="-1">
</SELECT> 
<SPAN id=text2 style="Z-INDEX: 8; LEFT: 120px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 10px" tabIndex=8>CAR 
</SPAN>
<SELECT id=CAR style="Z-INDEX: 9; LEFT: 120px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 26px" tabIndex=9 size=1 name=CAR newchainnumber="0" cacheruntimedata="0" inchainindex="2" chainnumber="0" ibiformat="A16" addalloption="1" accept="0" operation="NONE" datafield displayfield datasource="loadcar.fex" requiredfield="83390720" datatype="1" datafieldtype="INTIGER" sourcetype="typeFex" ibiapp_app="bob" ibic_server="EDASERVE">
</SELECT> 
<SPAN id=text3 style="Z-INDEX: 10; LEFT: 230px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 10px" tabIndex=10>MODEL 
</SPAN>
</FIELDSET> 
<INPUT id=form2Reset style="Z-INDEX: 5; LEFT: 2px; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/describe/reset.gif); WIDTH: 38px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 80%; HEIGHT: 23px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: lavender" tabIndex=5 type=reset value=" " name=reset1> 
</FORM>
<xml id=ibi_requests>
<requests>

<request requestid="0" sourcetype="typeFex" targettype="1" targetname="_blank" ibif_ex="aa1.fex" ibic_server="EDASERVE" ibiapp_app="bob" paramremovedbyuser="MODEL">

<variables>

<variable field="COUNTRY" file="car.mas" desc="COUNTRY" datatype="0" operation="" default="" name="COUNTRY" accept="0" type="unresolved" select="0" controltype="8">

</variable>

<variable field="CAR" file="car.mas" desc="CAR" datatype="0" operation="" default="" name="CAR" accept="0" type="unresolved" select="0" controltype="8">

</variable>

<variable field="MODEL" file="car.mas" desc="MODEL" datatype="0" operation="" default="" name="MODEL" accept="0" type="unresolved" select="0" controltype="8">

</variable>

</variables>

</request>
</requests>
</xml>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Expert
posted Hide Post
Bob,

There should be no square brackets around the tag ids in the array declaration.

window.chain0[0]=new String("COUNTRY;CAR");

And WF usually sets the script just before the FORM end tag.

T

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Tony:

I tried your suggestion, I'm not sure I understand chaining. What tells html to reload the car box when I select a country. Is web focus supposed to generate this script?

here is the latest attempt

<!-- Generated by Report Layout Painter -->
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>HtmlPage
</TITLE>
<BASE href=HTTP://localhost:8080>
<SCRIPT id=clientEventHandlersJS type=text/javascript>
OnExecute(ctrl)
}
</SCRIPT> 

</HEAD>
<BODY style="OVERFLOW: auto">  
<INPUT language=javascript id=button1 style="Z-INDEX: 1; LEFT: 160px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 260px" onclick=button1_OnClick(this) tabIndex=1 type=button value=Button name=button1 requests_list="0"> 
<FORM id=form2 style="Z-INDEX: 2; LEFT: 30px; WIDTH: 356px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 70px; HEIGHT: 155px" tabIndex=2 name=form2 method=post fexlist_list="button1" nextformcol="3">
<SPAN id=form2_formcaptionid style="Z-INDEX: 3; LEFT: 0%; WIDTH: 100%; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0%; HEIGHT: 12%" tabIndex=3 formcaption="1">form2 
</SPAN>
<FIELDSET id=form2_formbodyid style="Z-INDEX: 4; LEFT: 0%; OVERFLOW: auto; WIDTH: 99.98%; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 5.77%; HEIGHT: 68%; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none" tabIndex=4 formbody="1">
<SPAN id=text1 style="Z-INDEX: 6; LEFT: 10px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 10px" tabIndex=6>COUNTRY 
</SPAN>
<SELECT id=COUNTRY style="Z-INDEX: 7; LEFT: 10px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 26px" tabIndex=7 size=1 name=COUNTRY numofrecords="-1" ibic_server="EDASERVE" ibiapp_app="bob" sourcetype="typeFex" datafieldtype="INTIGER" datatype="1" requiredfield="83390720" datasource="loadcoun.fex" displayfield datafield operation="NONE" accept="0" addalloption="1" ibiformat="A10" chainnumber="0" inchainindex="1" cacheruntimedata="0" newchainnumber="0">
</SELECT> 
<SPAN id=text2 style="Z-INDEX: 8; LEFT: 120px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 10px" tabIndex=8>CAR 
</SPAN>
<SELECT id=CAR style="Z-INDEX: 9; LEFT: 120px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 26px" tabIndex=9 size=1 name=CAR ibic_server="EDASERVE" ibiapp_app="bob" sourcetype="typeFex" datafieldtype="INTIGER" datatype="1" requiredfield="83390720" datasource="loadcar.fex" displayfield datafield operation="NONE" accept="0" addalloption="1" ibiformat="A16" chainnumber="0" inchainindex="2" cacheruntimedata="0" newchainnumber="0">
</SELECT> 
<SPAN id=text3 style="Z-INDEX: 10; LEFT: 230px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 10px" tabIndex=10>MODEL 
</SPAN>
</FIELDSET> 
<INPUT id=form2Reset style="Z-INDEX: 5; LEFT: 2px; BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/describe/reset.gif); WIDTH: 38px; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 80%; HEIGHT: 23px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: lavender" tabIndex=5 type=reset value=" " name=reset1> 

window.chain0[0]=new String("COUNTRY;CAR");
window.chain0[1]=0
</SCRIPT>
</FORM> 
<xml id=ibi_requests>
<requests>

<request requestid="0" sourcetype="typeFex" targettype="1" targetname="_blank" ibif_ex="aa1.fex" ibic_server="EDASERVE" ibiapp_app="bob" paramremovedbyuser="MODEL">

<variables>

<variable field="COUNTRY" file="car.mas" desc="COUNTRY" datatype="0" operation="" default="" name="COUNTRY" accept="0" type="unresolved" select="0" controltype="8">

</variable>

<variable field="CAR" file="car.mas" desc="CAR" datatype="0" operation="" default="" name="CAR" accept="0" type="unresolved" select="0" controltype="8">

</variable>

<variable field="MODEL" file="car.mas" desc="MODEL" datatype="0" operation="" default="" name="MODEL" accept="0" type="unresolved" select="0" controltype="8">

</variable>

</variables>

</request>
</requests>
</xml>
</BODY>
</HTML>

This message has been edited. Last edited by: secret,

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob,

Every time I look at the GUI and try to reconcile the new against the old I am reassured that hand coding is the way for me! Smiler

I have cut and paste your code (original) into the respective file types and pointed them at the correct local server and app and I cannot seem to get the chaining to occur either. On top of that I have created one anew (yes, I thought that it would never happen either Red Face) and now I can't even get the chain icon to show as available. My hair loss is increasing by the minute!

However, one thing that has come out of this is that the script that I thought should be there is possibly redundant in 7.1.3 - to be sure in this I need to get the chain in the GUI to work.

I will give it another go when I have a moment or two and let you know the results.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
Ok, a little more understanding of the GUI.

When you click on the HTML tab whilst in assist you only get shown part of the full HTML. It excludes things like scripts etc. which can only be seen when the file is edited in a text editor. Not to my taste but I can see where IB are coming from(?).

Viewed from the editor, all pieces seem to be in place. I have an edited copy of ibigbl.js that I use to "alert" through the process so that I can "see" what is happening. One purpose of this edited version is to show when a chained sequence of combo boxes are called. It works fine with existing code but neither Bob's original or the one I created call the chaining part of the ibirls.js.

On top of all this, the ability to "loose" settings just by double clicking on a control in the form via the GUI is disconcerting at best and infuriating at worst.

I did replace your fexes for the dynamic combos with versions of my own that I know work and, voila, fully functioning chained combos. The question is why mine and not yours? Have a look at the two and decide for yourself -

Your fexes -

loadcoun:

TABLEF FILE CAR
SUM FST.COUNTRY BY COUNTRY
END

Loadcar:

TABLEF FILE CAR
SUM CAR CAR BY CAR NOPRINT
WHERE COUNTRY EQ &COUNTRY
END

My versions -

loadcoun:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM FST.COUNTRY
BY COUNTRY
END

Loadcar:

-DEFAULT &Country = 'FOC_NONE'
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM FST.CAR
BY CAR
WHERE COUNTRY EQ '&COUNTRY'
END

It appears that the problem was the single quotes around the &COUNTRY in the where clause within Loadcar

Regards

T

p.s. I'll pm some code from 5.3.2 version that WILL work. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986