Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Total for multiple across columns?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Total for multiple across columns?
 Login/Join

posted
I apologize in advance as i dont have a working sample as well I have been trying to do reading up on ACROSS, ACROSSVALUE and the other ACROSS functions but dont seem to be finding what I need.

I have a table file (very loosely as I am typing this off the top of my head) like follows

TABLE FILE TEST
PASSED
FAILED
BY REGION
ACROSS YEAR
ACROSS TYPE COLUMNS 'BLUE' AND 'BLACK' AND 'YELLOW'

So the output of this would look something like

BLUE                BLACK                YELLOW
          PASSED    FAILED     PASSED    FAILED     PASSED    FAILED
NORTH
EAST
WEST
SOUTH

What I want to do, is I want to sum the PASSED & FAILED columns of the BLUE and BLACK columns. So basically BLUE.PASSED+BLACK.PASSED etc

BLUE+BLACK             BLUE                BLACK                YELLOW
          PASSED    FAILED     PASSED    FAILED     PASSED    FAILED    PASSED    FAILED
NORTH
EAST
WEST
SOUTH

I have seen some other code samples where they used relative column naming but only with one across. Im not quite sure how i would sum the above?

Or more specifically, is there a way I can specify a specific sub column of a column? Like if i wanted the column PASSED for the column BLUE?

TIA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
My answer would be to create a new hold file for BLUE+BLACK and append it to the original file on BY TYPE.

After appending, use
ACROSS TYPE COLUMNS 'BLUE+BLACK ' AND 'BLUE' AND 'BLACK' AND 'YELLOW'

By this way, you will not have any formatting issues and will work in any format.

You can append the files using MORE or FILEDEF (APPEND

WF 7.7.02 on Windows 7
Teradata
HTML,PDF,EXCEL,AHTML

Posts: 165 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
An easy way is to create a new field using a define ahead of the table for BLUE.PASSED + BLACK.PASSED etc.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Would there be any way to pick a specific column?

For example, if i wanted the FAILED column under YELLOW to highlight yellow, while the FAILED column under black would highlight black?

If i could, wouldnt i also be able to just select two columns and add them?

I will give the DEFINE a shot, but im not sure if it will work as the columns BLUE & BLACK are not really columns...

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs