Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Submitting a form created from a .fex file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Submitting a form created from a .fex file
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I have a WebFocus program that creates an HTML page using -HTMLFORM BEGIN and END. This new page has a form on it that I'd like to be able to submit. I have the usual "stuff" at the top of the form.

*** see next post to see what goes here.

At the bottom of the form I have...

*** see next post to see what goes here.

So, the new .fex file that I'm calling is named VSScheU2.fex.

When I try to submit this form, I get the following error message:

0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 22 IN PROCEDURE _VSScheU2FOCEXEC *
(FOC257) MISSING QUOTE MARKS: ' &FOCEXURL | 'IBIAP

Can someone tell me how I can resolve this problem? I think it's a path issue, but yet the error message names my second .fex file so it did find it. HELP!!!!

Thanks for your help!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: focusqueen,

Posts: 46 | Location: Taylor University in Upland Indiana | Registered: May 20, 2003Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Ok, sorry about that. I forgot that if I put html in my message, it would come up as html on the page. So, let me recap what I just tried to put out there.

The "stuff" at the top includes the form tag with action="/ibi_apps/WFServlet" method="POST" name="Form1" onSubmit="IBIAPP_app.value=IBIGetApp();" inside it. Then there is a hidden input tag with name="IBIAPP_app" value inside it.

At the bottom, there is the usual submit button followed by a hidden input tag with name="IBIF_ex" value="VSScheU2" inside it.

Hope that looks better.

Posts: 46 | Location: Taylor University in Upland Indiana | Registered: May 20, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
your majesty Wink
when you present the form to the screen, can you do a view source and see exactly what it has? You might be able to then see what you have actually passed to html vs what you think you passed.
When you want to show code on this site, you can surround your code with code tags
[ code]
insert your code here
[ /code]
removing the spaces after the left brackets, and your code will appear, html tags and all.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
fq,

Create a new fex called "htmlform" and put the following code into it. Run it and then view source.

What does the value for &FOCEXURL show at the bottom of the source?

-* File htmlform.fex
-? &
-TYPE &FOCEXURL
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<html>
<head>
<title>HTMLFORM with Form</title>
</head>
<body>
<form action="/ibi_apps/WFServlet" method="POST" name="Form1" onSubmit="IBIAPP_app.value=IBIGetApp();">
<input type=hidden name="IBIAPP_app" value="anthony">
<input type=hidden name="IBIF_ex" value="htmlform">
<input type=submit vlaue="Submit">
</body>
</html>
-HTMLFORM END

One question, to what end are you using the onsubmit function call for?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry, about 36 hours ago I got REALLY sick and I've not been able to even sit up. But I can for short periods of time now.

I ran the code above and it show:
FOCEXURL = /ibi_apps/WFServlet?IBIF_webapp=/ibi_apps&IBIC_server=EDASERV

I'm using this program to update a text file that I'm storing some campus visit information in. The first web page allows you to select the student. The second one comes up showing the information we have about this student and allows you to change it. Then when you hit the final submit button, it calls another focus program that is all dialog manager commands that write the field values back to the original text file. Hope that makes sense.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Can I set the FOCEXURL to something else and "fool" it into thinking it's going to the right place?

Expert
posted Hide Post
fq,

Don't think so.

I am attempting (when time permits) to reproduce your problem but haven't yet.

One thing to do though is to issue a "-? &" at the beginning of your VSScheU2.fex and look at the variable values coming into the fex. That might give a pointer.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
fq,

I think that you may have something in your HTMLFORM that is giving you this. It's the only way I can see why you would get that error message.

Cut and paste the following code into two fexes, names as per initial line of each. Run the first one and you should get the output. If you don't and you get the same error message as before, then I think you may have a configuration problem and would suggest you call support if you can't solve it.

If you do see the output then there is definitely something wrong with your HTMLFORM. In this case copy the execution string put into the address bar of your browser and post it. Make sure you have method=GET on your form so that the full string is used in the URL.

-* File htmlform.fex
TABLE FILE EMPDATA
PRINT COMPUTE OPTIONS/A200 = '<option value='||PIN||'>'||LASTNAME|', '|FIRSTNAME||' '|MIDINITIAL;
BY LASTNAME NOPRINT
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
ON TABLE SAVE AS EMPOPTS
END
-RUN
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<html>
<head>
<title>HTMLFORM with Form</title>
</head>
<body>
<form action="/ibi_apps/WFServlet" method="GET" name="Form1" onSubmit="IBIAPP_app.value=IBIGetApp();">
<input type=hidden name="IBIAPP_app" value="anthony">
<input type=hidden name="IBIF_ex" value="htmlform1">
<select name=emppin>
!IBI.FIL.EMPOPTS;
</select>
<br />
<input type=submit value="Submit">
</body>
</html>
-HTMLFORM END

-* File htmlform1.fex
-? &
-DEFAULT &emppin = 'FOC_NONE'
TABLE FILE EMPDATA
PRINT *
WHERE PIN EQ '&emppin.EVAL'
END
-RUN

Also if you can post the first 25 lines of your VSScheU2.fex the problem may be there.
T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your help. I live in California so it's usually a little later in the morning that I get on the computer.

Here's the execution string:

http://reports.taylor.edu/ibi_apps/WFServlet?IBIAPP_app...ted&IBIF_ex=VSScheU2

I'm passing a lot of variables.

Here's also the first 25 lines of VSScheu2.fex:

-* File htmlform.fex
-? &
-TYPE &FOCEXURL

-* Creating the output file which will be stored on the L
-* drive with a date attached.
-SET &FILENAME = '\\adminsrv1\admcommon\Visit\UPVisit_List.txt';

FILEDEF OUT DISK &FILENAME (APPEND
-RUN

-* Giving values to fields that were check boxes in the
-* inquiry form. If they were not checked, they didn't just
-* not have a value, they didn't exist. I had to "make"
-* them exist if this was true.

-IF &PreVis.EXIST THEN GOTO L$CONT1;
-SET &PreVis = '';
-L$CONT1

-IF &Intview.EXIST THEN GOTO L$CONT2;
-SET &Intview = '';
-L$CONT2

-IF &TToday.EXIST THEN GOTO L$CONT3;
-SET &TToday = '';
-L$CONT3

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
That didn't show the whole address line so I'm trying again.

http://reports.taylor.edu/ibi_apps/WFServlet?IBIAPP_app=ibi_apps&keys=&LNum=%0D%0A++++2%0D%0A&VDate=Wed.12.06.2006&CMonth=October&CDay=28&CYear=2006&Operator=%0D%0AIntern%0D%0A&Caller=Betty+Tober&FName=Deborah&LName=Tober&PName=+&ID=+&IDName=+&Gender=%0D%0AF%0D%0A&PhoneArea=456&Phone1=984&Phone2=5621&Email=+&Address1=145+Fairfax+Dr&Address2=+&Zip=06497&City=Stratford&State=CT&Country=&Parent=+&WPhoneArea=+&WPhone1=+&WPhone2=+&HSName=+&GradYr=%0D%0A2007%0D%0A&GPA=3.50&SAT=%0D%0ANULL%0D%0A&ACT=%0D%0ANULL%0D%0A&ADate=Wed.12.06.2006&ATime=%0D%0A0900%0D%0A&DDate=Wed.12.06.2006&DTime=%0D%0AWed.12.06.2006%0D%0A&RStud=+&Major1=%0D%0APreMajor%0D%0A&Major2=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&Class1=+&Class2=+&Class3=+&Class4=+&OMeet1=+&OMeet2=+&AdminC=+&MInt1=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&MYear1=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&MComment1=+&MInt2=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&MYear2=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&MComment2=+&MInt3=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&MYear3=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&MComment3=+&AInt1=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&APos1=+&AYear1=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&AComment1=+&AInt2=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&APos2=+&AYear2=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&AComment2=+&AInt3=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&APos3=+&AYear3=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&AComment3=+&Airport=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&NumPeo=%0D%0A+%0D%0A&AAirline=+&AFlight=+&AriTime=+&DAirline=+&DFlight=+&DepTime=+&AllDone=Y&Submit=Submit+Visit+when+Completed&IBIF_ex=VSScheU2

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I must be still asleep this morning. Yes, when I ran your code, I did see the output. I did get an alert when hitting the submit button (object expected line 6 character 1) but it did run.

Expert
posted Hide Post
The URL looks OK (yes it is long isn't it!). The first one was fine because when I clicked upon it, it loaded into the address bar of my browser.

The code also looks OK although I would suggest that you could just use -DEFAULT for the three -SET values so that you do not require the GOTOs but that's just being picky Wink

I was expecting (hoping) to see a stray single quote somewhere but it's not there from what you've posted Frowner

As for the error using my examples - I get no error at all. The line it is mentioning is the FORM tag line and the only item in there that I wouldn't use normally is the "onsubmit" bit.

It you want me to I will look at the HTML for you. PM me.

also, I hope you're feeling much better now Smiler

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Kids are gone to school now and yes, I am feeling better. Thank you.

I've sent you the code in a private message.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
By the way, I did put the "-? &" at the beginning of the VSScheU2.fex and it doesn't even appear to get to it. When I look at the source code I see:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>WebFOCUS Message[42]:  NO EDA HTML Output</TITLE>
</Head>
<Body>
<HR><H3 ALIGN=center>No HTML Output!</H3><HR>
<PRE>
<H5>
 0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE     22  IN PROCEDURE _VSScheU2FOCEXEC *

</H5>

< !--
0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE 22 IN PROCEDURE _VSScheU2FOCEXEC *

WebFOCUS Version 7.1.4 compiled and linked on Fri May 19 16:45:40 EDT 2006 (Gen branch714:284)
-->

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I think I see something in the address. In one of my other ones, when I put "get" into the launch page, I see IBIAPP_app=admissions. In this one, I see IBIAPP_app=ibi_apps. Is this my problem?

Expert
posted Hide Post
Could be, its always worth a try. Especially if you don't have an application called ibi_apps - might be reserved anyway.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Tried it. I can get it to change to admissions, but I still get the same error message. Ahhhhhhhh!