Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Using WebFOCUS to count files in Windows Folder

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Using WebFOCUS to count files in Windows Folder
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking of using WebFOCUS and ReportCaster to monitor file counts and age of files in one or more Windows folders. We have a document imaging system that pulls documents from folders, and it frequently gets backed up.

I am trying to see if I can build something in WebFOCUS either to alert me that documents in a folder are older than a certain timeframe, or at least give me a file count.

We are also building a batch file and IP Monitor, but I am wondering if WebFOCUS can do it easier.

Thoughts?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7.6.11
Windows
Excel, HTML, and PDF.

Posts: 5 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

If the Windows folders are on the Reporting server machine it will be simple to add the folders to the APP PATH and use the below code

APP QUERY foldername HOLD

TABLE FILE FOCAPPQ
COUNT
END
-EXIT

If the folders are on other system ...since WF server is on windows you can easily Map the remote server to the WF server so that you can then add them to the APP PATH and query it...
And you can send alerts using Report Caster ofcourse..

thanks
Sashanka

WF 7.7.03/Windows/HTML,PDF,EXL
POC/local Dev Studio 7.7.03 & 7.6.11

Expert
posted Hide Post
If the folder is accessible by the reporting server, you can achieve this using APP commands:

APP MAP FOLDER1 C:\WINDOWS\CURSORS

APP QUERY FOLDER1 HOLD

TABLE FILE FOCAPPQ
PRINT *
END

Output:

DATE        TIME      GMTTIME     SIZE          FILENAME                                                                APPNAME
 ----        ----      -------     ----          --------                                                                -------
 04/08/2004  08.00.00  1091620800  766           3dgarro.cur                                                             folder1
 04/08/2004  08.00.00  1091620800  766           3dgmove.cur                                                             folder1
 04/08/2004  08.00.00  1091620800  766           3dgnesw.cur                                                             folder1
 04/08/2004  08.00.00  1091620800  766           3dgno.cur                                                               folder1
 04/08/2004  08.00.00  1091620800  766           3dgns.cur                                                               folder1
 04/08/2004  08.00.00  1091620800  766           3dgnwse.cur                                                             folder1
 04/08/2004  08.00.00  1091620800  766           3dgwe.cur                                                               folder1
 04/08/2004  08.00.00  1091620800  766           3dsmove.cur                                                             folder1

Documentation: Developing Reporting Applications > Creating and Working With Applications > Reports and Help

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis we almost crossed each other in replying...
I remember this APP QUERY from one of your older posts....thanks to you..

thanks
Sashanka

WF 7.7.03/Windows/HTML,PDF,EXL
POC/local Dev Studio 7.7.03 & 7.6.11

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

You are unbelievably organized in that you access WebFOCUS information very rapidly and in great detail. Just out of curiosity, what do you use to store and access all this information?

Thanks,

Norb

prod:7.6.9, win2k3 mre, caster, bid, devstudio 7.6.9

Posts: 242 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: February 16, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I browse FocalPoint via Firefox. I installed an extension called ReloadEvery - it reloads the FocalPoint tab every five minutes, allowing me to keep tabs on things!

I use EditPlus as my text editor. I've backed up all the code I've ever worked on for the past nn years and can easily search in multiple app folders.

Since I am a "real" Developer, writing code instead of pointing and clicking and expecting miracles, I'm in touch with the syntax and know my way around a bit. And I read the manuals.

My training began in a proper IT world - I'm comfortable with standards, conventions, reusability... unlike modern report developers, all loosey-goosey, pointy-and-clicky!

Big Grin

Though I find myself out of a job on Tuesday morning!

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hope you have another one lined up.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hope you have another one lined up.

Yes Francis... So whatz your next assignment? Any plans to move away from WebFOCUS ? ? Roll Eyes

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows
HTML/PDF/EXCEL/AHTML/XML/HTML5

Posts: 394 | Location: Chennai | Registered: December 02, 2009Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Great time to jump to IBI! I'd LOVE to have you working on the product from the inside!

-ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Waz: Nothing lined up yet. It was an unexpected contract cancellation. I have some vacation lined up in Aug and Sep so it might be difficult starting something new right now. I'm planing to take some time off.

Ramkumar: "Any plans to move away from WebFOCUS?" - Why would I? Do you want me to? Smiler

ABT: "I'd LOVE to have you working on the product from the inside!" - Interesting! Could I do that from my home-base, Toronto?

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
ABT: "I'd LOVE to have you working on the product from the inside!" - Interesting! Could I do that from my home-base, Toronto?

How about it, David Glick or Brian Suter? :-)

- ABT

WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I think I have enough code to work with to get this going.

Francis, enjoy your time off.

WF 7.6.11
Windows
Excel, HTML, and PDF.

Posts: 5 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Enjoy the break, rechard the batteries, and hope to see you on the forum soon.

Perhaps the next place won't have the diffucult set up you have there.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ramkumar: "Any plans to move away from WebFOCUS?" - Why would I? Do you want me to?

Defenitely a BIG NO. Just asked. Your contributions are much needed in the webFOCUS world.

All the best for all your future endeavours. Let your future foucs on WebFOCUS. Smiler

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows
HTML/PDF/EXCEL/AHTML/XML/HTML5

Posts: 394 | Location: Chennai | Registered: December 02, 2009Report This Post