Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Position Columns in Webfocus

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Position Columns in Webfocus
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone used the IN phrase in Webfocus to specify the position that a column will begin printing on a report line?

I am able to insert the phrase by right clicking the report component and selecting "Edit Text" and Webfocus will print the column in the position I specify.

The problem is that I lose the IN phrase if I open the report component with GUI tool. Is there a way of specifying the IN phrase within GUI? Do some of you report developers write some or your reports within the text editor only?

Below is part of my report's source. Please note that I am already using subheads to control some desired positioning.

Thanks.....

TABLE FILE SQLOUT
SUM
ACCT_DESC/A34 AS '' IN 5
ACCT/A4
ESTIMATED_REV/D12.2- AS 'Estimated,Revenue'
INCOME_REALIZED/D12.2- AS 'Income,Realized'
UNREALIZED/D12.2- AS 'Unrealized'
OVER_REALIZED/D12.2- AS 'Overrealized'
BALANCE/D12.2- AS 'Balance'
BY
FISC_YR NOPRINT
BY
PERIOD NOPRINT
BY
FUND NOPRINT
BY
FUND_DESC NOPRINT
BY
ATYP NOPRINT
BY
ACCT NOPRINT
ON FUND SUBHEAD
"<1 <FUND_DESC "
ON FUND_DESC SUBTOTAL AS 'Total'
ON ATYP SUBHEAD
"<3 <ATYP_DESC "

Posts: 5 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: October 21, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Tino,

My current client is using the GUI, primarily because they are new to WF, but I always use the editor and my advice is once you have the code working DO NOT open again in the GUI because your comment lines will move, your syntax will be subjected to the "thin" syntax version used in the GUI and any syntactically valid code within the text editor is not guaranteed to be acceptable within the GUI - so you lose it!!

This is especially true of the HTML GUI tool.

Very kind of IB eh?

The GUI is there to provide for the claim to 'be able to make good looking reports quickly and easily' - and you can, but to make great looking reports you will have to resort, at some stage, to coding manually.

If you absolutely must use the GUI after the editor, then keep a copy of your code so that you can cut and paste the "lost" code again.

The GUI is much better in 7.x (imho).

One advantage that us "old" coders have is that we have been using FOCUS, and latterly WebFOCUS, since the very early days (almost 20 years for me) and there was only ever manual coding then. We have grown with the language and have seen the language grow. Most of the syntax is the same now as it always has been. It has been extended, of course it had to to accomodate the web etc.

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Tony. I will be sure to pass this information to the rest of the programmers in our dept.

Thanks Again,
Tino

Posts: 5 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: October 21, 2005Report This Post