Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Saving to Excel from OLAP

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Saving to Excel from OLAP
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
We are working with WebFOCUS 5.3.5. When we run an OLAP report, the save menu lists "Excel" as the first option, with "Excel 2000" underneath it. The default Excel option does not render dates correctly, they show up as garbage. i suspect this is because it is exporting as Excel 97 format.

Using the next item down on the menu, Exporting to Excel 2000 instead results in correct dates. the problem is, our users are probably going to select the default Excel option, expecting it to be a NEWER version than Excel 2000, not older. this is 2006, after all. is there any way to remove the Excel 97 option from the OLAP menu, or change it so it doesn't default to excel 97?

thanks for your help.

---------------------
WebFOCUS 7.6

Expert
posted Hide Post
Dan, i have no answer for you, but i totally agree with you.
We have asked many times to be able to customize the list of output offerings, so that users aren't confused by totally irrelevant formats. I have users who weren't born when LOTUS went out of business. ouch.
We've also asked that HTML be changed to something end-user friendly, like 'on screen'.
So, i just can applaud your having brought it up again.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Dan,

There is a file called olapctl.js in which the menu is built. I have had success in changing the items around but the saves were still performed in the same manner Frowner.

However, there is a section within that code that writes the FOCUS code for the save, so, it could be possible to change the relevant code from -

olapRules += "QUOTE\nON TABLE " + holdtype + " FORMAT EXCEL\nENDQUOTE\n";

to
olapRules += "QUOTE\nON TABLE " + holdtype + " FORMAT EXL2K\nENDQUOTE\n";

Give it a try, but don't forget to back-up the file first Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
olapctl.js

T...what dir is that .js in?
oh i found it
\ibi\WebFOCUS5n\ibi_html\javaassist\ibi\html\olap

that file doesn't seem to have the list of output format choices in it... any clue where that might be? i've used textpad to search for 'EXL2K', no cigar.
ah found it
ibi\WebFOCUS52\webapps\webfocus52\assist\jsp\rpasstie.jsp

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Send me the file and I'll look through it. I only have 7.1.3 to hand.

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
ah. lucky you.
i've edited this .jsp
and changed the option name from EXL2K to EXCEL
and left the option value unchanged as EXL2K
and erased all the unusable options.
It doesn't seem to take effect until i do something 're-boot'-ish. which i'll do ce soir and report back. If this works, it'll address Dan's issue, and mine as well.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
awesome. thanks for looking into this!

---------------------
WebFOCUS 7.6

Expert
posted Hide Post
unfort, it didn't work.
i've opened a case w/ ibi
and sent my rpasstie over to them.
because i'm thinking it should work.
Can you try (editing the rpasstie) at your site, and see if you're successful?
i'll keep you posted on what tech support says.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
yeah, i'll give it a try.

---------------------
WebFOCUS 7.6

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
i did it.

by modifying line 22 of:

C:\ibi\WebFOCUS53\ibi_html\javaassist\intl\EN\olapctltrans.js

i was able to change the label of the Excel 97 menu option to actually say it was Excel 97, as opposed to "Excel".

even better: by modifying line 6366 of:
C:\ibi\WebFOCUS53\ibi_html\javaassist\ibi\html\olap\olapctl.js

i was able to remove the option entirely, or change the order of the menu items, by modifying the array on that line.

by the way, does anyone know if this violates our license agreement with IBI? are we "allowed" to muck around with their javascripts like that?

anyway, thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction!

---------------------
WebFOCUS 7.6

Expert
posted Hide Post
Good news Dan,

As far as I know, changing the standard modules is "OK" providing you revert the code back before you report a problem to ensure that it is not your customisation that is causing a problem.

I normally try to avoid customing modules such as this and try to achieve the end result by calling a subsequent module of my own, but in a case like this it might prove more trouble than it's worth!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986