Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Can SQL be run from Mainframe FOCUS 7.1.1?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Can SQL be run from Mainframe FOCUS 7.1.1?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Before I go knocking myself out, I need to know if SQL can be executed within Mainframe FOCUS, Relase 7.1.1? I realize that is quite an old release of mainframe FOCUS, but I work for a college district that seems to be quite happy with using old software.

The reason I'm curious about this is because I have some data files I want to join, however data in one file may not be present in another file I'm trying to join, so I thought maybe SQL could be used with a LEFT or RIGHT join.

Thanks in advance...looking forward to your replies.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
WebMeister,

You can write SQL in MF 7.1.1. However, what are your underlying data? SQL tables? If not, it won't help you. If so, and you are using SQL passthru, then you are on your own.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
With FOCUS or WebFOCUS, in some cases, SET ALL=ON or SET ALL=PASS allows you to join two tables to "include missing segment instances in a report".

You can use SQL to read non-DBMS files: FOCUS databases or flat files can be accessed with SQL passthru.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Danny and Francis,

Thank you for your replies. It also dawned on me that a possible JOIN LEFT_OUTER..... might work, which is what I'm trying as we speak, except I just got a SYNTAX ERROR OR MISSING ELEMENT IN THE JOIN COMMAND.

What I had was

JOIN LEFT_OUTER STU_ID IN A0&&BNVC TO MULTIPLE STU_ID IN RBFILE AS A

So I'm working on that right now.

Again, thanks for replying.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
LEFT_OUTER is only available in WebFOCUS 7.1 and later. I'm not sure if this is available in Mainframe FOCUS 7.1.1...

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Well, darn! Is there any equivalent for Mainframe FOCUS 7.1.1 ?

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
If you are doing SQL Passthru, you would pass the join in the SQL and you would specify the left outer syntax appropriate for the data base you are trying to access. You wouldn't use a FOCUS join as you showed.

But, if you were to use FOCUS syntax, SET ALL=ON turns on left outer processing.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
WebMeister,

So you are using FOCUS code and not SQL code. Then instead of

JOIN LEFT_OUTER STU_ID IN A0&&BNVC TO MULTIPLE STU_ID IN RBFILE AS A 

use

SET ALL=ON  
JOIN STU_ID IN A0&&BNVC TO ALL STU_ID IN RBFILE AS A 

Daniel
In Focus since 1982

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi, Danny,

Will that give me what I'm looking for? I want to list all STU_ID from my main file and all associated data from my secondary file, and in the case of the primary file not having any associated data in the secondary file, I still want to list the STU_ID data from the primary file. So...would your suggestion give me what I'm interested in?

I just need to list all records from my primary file, whether or not htey have matching records from my secondary file.

In any case, I appreciate your suggestions.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned above, the SET ALL=ON command causes a left outer join to be performed. Might not be too efficient. But you will get the desired results.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
WebMeister,

It depends upon what other screening conditions you have in your TABLE request.

If your conditions are only on the primary file then you will get all the records of the primary file that match the conditions with the associated records from the secondary.

If you also have conditions on the secondary then use SET ALL=PASS.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982

Expert
posted Hide Post
So how many times are we going to suggest "SET ALL=ON or SET ALL=PASS"? Roll Eyes

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Oh, about 4 or 5 times; I'm still working with the SET ALL commands andnot getting the results I want I've tried SET ALL=PASS and didn't get all the records I was expected, so am working now wirh SET PASS=ON. Also, do the files being made have to be in FOCUS format for the SET PASS command to work? I might be asking that question a few times also.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
wm,

If you can't get the SET ALL working for you then you could always rely upon the good old MATCH FILE processing using AFTER MATCH HOLD OLD.

One of the problems with JOIN and trying to get LEFT OUTER functionality is that if you specify selection on your lower order table, then that effectively does away with the ALL parm. Using MATCH will enable you to place selection criteria within each part of the request without that effect.

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tony,

I'll play around with Match and see if that does my trick.

I appreciate your reply.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
FYI, the SET PASS=ON regards passwords on FOCUS databases, nothing to do with JOINs.

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
Webmeister,

What is the source of your data? If these are flat files the SET ALL=ON or PASS isn't going to work, I would use Tony's suggestion and do a MATCH. If they are IMS, IDMS, VSAM, or other hierarchial database are the fields you are joining on indexed? If it is DB2 can you create a view that does the join for you?

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi webmeister,

If I understand your situation correctly: You are reporting from FOCUS databases, on FOCUS 7.1.1 for z/OS. You and/or your staff, feel a little more comfortable with SQL then FOCUS. You need to join two data sources, using a LEFT OUTER JOIN.

If this is the case, you might want to consider using the SQL Translator.

For example, the following code:

DYNAM ALLOC DD VIDEOTRK DS TLA.FOCUS.VIDEOTRK SHR REUS
DYNAM ALLOC DD MOVIES   DS TLA.FOCUS.MOVIES   SHR REUS
-RUN
SQL
SELECT CUSTID,
       TRANSDATE,
       V.MOVIECODE,
       TITLE
FROM VIDEOTRK V
 LEFT OUTER JOIN MOVIES M
  ON V.MOVIECODE = M.MOVIECODE;
END

Yields:

CUSTID  TRANSDATE   MOVIECODE  TITLE
------  ---------   ---------  -----
0925    1991/06/27  001MCA     JAWS
0925    1991/06/27  692PAR     TOP GUN
0944    1991/06/21  505MGM     PHILADELPHIA STORY, THE
0944    1991/06/20  040ORI     BABETTE'S FEAST
1118    1991/06/26  710VES     FAMILY, THE
1118    1991/06/26  803WAR     DEATH IN VENICE
1133    1991/06/21  .          .
1133    1991/06/19  243MGM     MARTY
1133    1991/06/19  259MGM     MALTESE FALCON, THE
1237    1991/06/25  .          .

VIDEOTRK and MOVIES are two test database that comes with certain versions of FOCUS. (Anybody know what is this thing called 'video'?)

You, and your staff, can set the SQL Translator echo to on. The benefit would be that you would see the FOCUS TABLE command, generated by the SQL query. In this way, you could learn even more about the TABLE command.

Regards,
Dave

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster