Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] EXL2K FORMULA limitations

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] EXL2K FORMULA limitations
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
There have been discussions of various surprises and foibles --
static values stored instead of formulae;
static values within rather than cell references stored in formulae;
erroneous formulae
odd handling of percent-formatted fields
-- going back to 2005. I'd like to know what to expect in 7.6.5 and 7.6.8.

Does anyone have a summary of the extent to which this format fulfills its promises?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Being an ex. you sould know what to expect -

"More of the same" Wink

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Suggest you go to http://techsupport.information...f_fix_ALLA_7610.html and then screen on formula. The open issues in programming are new feature request to expand it for FML (FOR) and OVER, and more prefix operators in subtotal.

The issue of % is that in WF, the % display is just that. While in EXCEL, the default % display causes the displayed number to be multiplied by 100. If we wanted to adjust for that excell behavior, we would have to divide the raw number by 100 before putting it in the spread sheet. Or suround your equation with () and add a /100 to the equation. But what if you have other computations using that % number ... it takes us down a road that can lead to wrong results. So we keep the number true to what you had in the fex and we do format it with % .. but it is a form of the excel % formatting that does NOT multiply by 100 at display time.

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Brian --

Nice that it's an Active document, so one can apply filters. The first match on "formula" is interesting:

Known Problems

Known Problems
Summary: EXL2K FORMULA fails to insert COMPUTE FLD Formula expression 
Case: 42802517 
Product: Developer Studio 
Date Reported: 11/13/2008 

Environment Detail Information

Product Release Gen Level OS 
Reported in: Developer Studio 7.1.3  WIN/2K 
Fixed in: Developer Studio 7.6.10  WIN/2K 
Fixed in: Developer Studio 7.7.0  WIN/2K 

Problem Detail Information

Description:

EXL2K FORMULA fails to insert a COMPUTE Field Formula expression.

Workaround:

none

-- no attempt to delimit the scope of the problem - so there's absolutely no strong of a formula for compute columns prior to 7.6.10? Then some of our posters must be halucinating.

-- what does this have to do with Dev Studio -- it's the WF reporting server that executes the request.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I opened at least one of the NFR's (e.g. NFR - EXL2K FORMULA SUPPORT FOR FML).

By v7.6.5 it's still a half-baked idea. I can't believe that when this feature was introduced it did not work with FML - a formula driven reporting language if there was ever one. No formula for Financial Reporting you say? Ridiculous I say.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Improving the process that produces the cleansed cases is an active project. Since you are seeing the original case it is reflecting the product the original customer entered. Thats why it's nice to have the AREAs in the fix list since that is much cleaner (we fix that as it moves through the process).

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
AREAs?

Anyway -- has anyone had success inducing the "FORMAT EXL2K FORMULA" genii to render formulas for the cells (in detail lines) of a COMPUTE column attached to an ACROSS?

For instance, the SUM column (column F) in the spreadsheet produced by ...
APP PREPENDPATH IBISAMP 
TABLE FILE CAR
  COUNT ENTRIES 
    BY COUNTRY
    BY CAR
    ACROSS SEATS 
      COMPUTE SUM/D12.2 = C1 + C2 + C3;
  IF SEATS EQ 2 OR 4 OR 5
  ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT 'EXL2K FORMULA'
END

... contains just constants.

(WF 7.6.8)

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It appears the hangup is ACROSS. If you re-engineer to avoid that, formulae are generated.

These both behave properly:
APP PREPENDPATH IBISAMP 
DEFINE FILE CAR
N2/I3S=IF SEATS EQ 2 THEN 1 ELSE 0;
N4/I3S=IF SEATS EQ 4 THEN 1 ELSE 0;
N5/I3S=IF SEATS EQ 5 THEN 1 ELSE 0;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM N2 N4 N5 AND COMPUTE SUM/I3=N2+N4+N5;
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K FORMULA
ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL
END

APP PREPENDPATH IBISAMP 
TABLE FILE CAR
COUNT ENTRIES BY COUNTRY BY CAR ACROSS SEATS  
IF SEATS EQ 2 OR 4 OR 5
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
ON TABLE HOLD
END
?FF HOLD
TABLE FILE HOLD
WRITE COU2 COU4 COU5 AND COMPUTE SUM/I3=C1 + C2 + C3;
BY COUNTRY BY CAR
ON TABLE SUMMARIZE
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K FORMULA
END

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05