Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
slow join
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I'm having issues again with a join processing slowly. When I do this join my query slows right down (I have other joins above that are processing quickly). There is about 250,000 records in permissiontypedef. There is 85,000 records in hold200. This needs to be a one to many join. There are only 2 fields in permissiontypedef and there is an alternate index on just the permtype_desc field. If I do a print of the permissiontypedef file, it's not sorted in any order, so I don't know if that's slowing the process down or not. The groupname is a30 and so is permtype_desc a30.

JOIN GROUPNAME IN HOLD200 TO ALL PERMTYPE_DESC IN PERMISSIONTYPEDEF AS G2

Here is the code above and below the join.
TABLE FILE PERMISSIONS
PRINT PERMISSIONVALUE
COMPANY_COMPANYID AS 'GROUP_COMPANYID'
BY GROUPNAME

ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD200
END

JOIN GROUPNAME IN HOLD200 TO ALL PERMTYPE_DESC IN PERMISSIONTYPEDEF AS G2

TABLE FILE HOLD200
PRINT
GROUPNAME
PERMISSIONVALUE
PERMISSIONTYPEDEF.OID AS 'PTDOID'
PERMTYPE_DESC
GROUP_COMPANYID
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD210
END

It was suggested to do the following so I could add a WHERE PERMTYPE_DESC IN FILE SAVE which I did, but I got a (FOC272) FORMAT ERROR IN DECODE OR FILE ELEMENT. The groupname has spaces in it, so the documentation says to put quotes around the field.
TABLEF FILE HOLD200
SUM GROUPNAME NOPRINT
BY GROUPNAME
ON TABLE SAVE
END
-RUN
TABLE FILE PERMISSIONTYPEDEF
SUM PERMISSIONTYPEDEF.OID AS 'PTDOID'
BY PERMTYPE_DESC
BY PERMISSIONTYPEDEF.OID NOPRINT
WHERE PERMTYPE_DESC IN FILE SAVE
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLD300 FORMAT FOCUS INDEX PERMTYPE_DESC
END
So, I added in quotes but now I get a data receive error and I can't seem to fix. I tried only a single | after groupname and that didn't work either. I tried different kinds of quotes with no luck also.
DEFINE FILE HOLD200
GROUPNAME/A32=''''| GROUPNAME ||'''';
END

WebFOCUS Message[2012]: NO_DATA_RECEIVE_ERROR<BR>Error receiving data<BR>

An error has been detected during server to client data transfer.

ERROR: -12: Server disconnected, cause 32026 Eda code -12

Any suggestions as to why this join would run slowly? I only have the data until the end of day today so I'm trying to resolve this issue today.

webfocus 8.105M; os: windows; pdf, html, exl2k, csv

Posts: 179 | Registered: November 10, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Pam,

Perhaps the following link on the Technical Support site might help: Slow Join

You would issue the command such as
ENGINE SQLORA SET OPTIMIZATION SQL (for Oracle).

You may also get some useful info by turning on tracing, as indicated in the link:

set traceuser = on
set traceoff = all
set traceon = sqlaggr//client
set traceon = stmtrace//client

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Sean

------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROD: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode
TEST: WebFOCUS 7.6.2 on Unix AIX/Tomcat/Servlet Mode

Posts: 210 | Location: Ottawa | Registered: November 03, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
When I'm working with relational databases, I never code my program without checking the SQL generated by WebFOCUS.

I always turn on SQL traces and always start by first turning XRETRIEVAL to OFF - to check the JOINS, SUMS, BY's etc.

SET XRETRIEVAL=OFF

SET TRACEOFF = ALL
SET TRACEON = SQLTRANS
SET TRACEON = STMTRACE//CLIENT
SET TRACEON = SQLAGGR//CLIENT
SET TRACESTAMP = OFF
SET TRACEWRAP = 78
SET TRACEUSER = ON

In the code you posted, it appears you're joining a HOLD file to another table. If PERMISSIONTYPEDEF is a relational table, then the SQL generated most likely will NOT be efficient.

I always try to do all my JOINS up-front and not join HOLD files to RDBMS tables.

It is possible that WebFOCUS is accessing PERMISSIONTYPEDEF 85,000 times!

Also, when you use a file as a filter (WHERE statement), there are limitations. For SQL, you can have only 1000 values in a single WHERE statement - you've got 85,000. For non SQL, WebFOCUS has a limit on the number of bytes the file size is.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Pam,

Working on the assumption that you are using an external RDBMS and not FOCUS files, then one thing to remember when using a JOIN to a hold file is that FOCUS will retrieve all the records from the child file in the join and then join them within FOCUS itself. This will obviously result in a table space scan of the PERMISSIONTYPEDEF table.

As you are performing an extract of the PERMISSIONS table to form the content of your HOLD200 file without predicates, I would be inclined to perform the join on the base table and (as Francis suggests) trap the SQL being passed to the distant RDBMS and see if it is efficient (if it is a DB2 target RDBMS then get your DBAs to use DB2EXPLAIN on it).

As you are probably aware, I would still prefer to do all the processing using SQL passthru if you can or get your DBAs to build you an efficient view to match your requirements.

For the present I would suggest that the slowness of the JOIN is the fact that you are holding the data and then joining back to your RDBMS. Not advisable.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post