Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Sorting Problem at Lower Levels of OLAP Dimension

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Sorting Problem at Lower Levels of OLAP Dimension
 Login/Join

<Meghan>
posted
I have a DATE dimension that contains Year (e.g. 2008), Qtr Label (Q1-2008), and Month Label (January 2008). Since these are not formatted as actual dates but rather as strings it does not sort properly as I drill through the dimension in my report. Does anyone know HOW I can get the dates to sort properly as you drill down?

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you reformat the date before you display it on the report? A YYMD format usually works best. Also can you let us know how your date field is actually defined and how the data is stored and we can make some recommendations.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
<Meghan>
posted
Unfortunately the 'date' that is not sorting correctly is defined as an alphanumeric field and not an ACTUAL date. I am able to get it to sort properly if I convert this field into a datetime field using the DEFINE functionality BUT this then does not work for my built in hierarchies.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You could make it an A8YYMD as opposed to just an A8 and then it should sort properly.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
<Meghan>
posted
Are you talking about chaning it in the master file text editor? If so, this makes the whole fex fail. I get the following error:

The following error has occurred while processing this form: (FOC207) ERROR IN THE FORMAT DEFINITION OF FIELD: Month_Label

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
No, change it in a define field then sort on it.

Ginny

<Meghan>
posted
It doesn't let me change the format to A8YYMD. However, I am able to create a define that CONVERTS my month label field into an actual date (HINPUT) but to use this field as a level of my dimension I need to recreate the dimension structure that was already built by Analysis Services. I don't understand why WebFOCUS doesn't take all of the properties of the Analysis Services Cubes - including the appropriate drill and sorting!

Report This Post