Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]Problem adding virtual fields to hold file read from CSV file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]Problem adding virtual fields to hold file read from CSV file
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,

I am tasked with preparing a report that generates a largely empty spreadsheet file for importing into another system. I obtain the data that is to be filled in from our systems and then use virtual fields to create the mandatory empty or default columns. The version that obtains data from a relational database works great. Another version of this report pulls data from a CSV file. This version will not recognize the DEFINE FILE actions.

I have created the synonym for the CSV file. My WF code reads the synonym and prints selected fields into a hold file. I use essentially the same DEFINE FILE statements from the working report to add the mandatory columns. If I run a simple TABLE FILE {hold file} PRINT * report, all that is returned are the initial columns put into the hold file. None of the virtual columns show up and there are no errors in the output.

Is this a known issue? Is there some setting that I need to add?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 8.1.0.1 M
Windows Server 2008
PDF, HTML, Excel

Posts: 9 | Location: Urbana, Illinois, USA | Registered: August 16, 2012Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think only real fields are included in PRINT *. What happens if you PRINT fieldname?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
PRINT * does not display DEFINE FILE fields. You have to reference them.

Does not work:
DEFINE FILE CAR
HAHA/A4 WITH COUNTRY = 'HAHA';
END

works:
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
HAHA
SEG.COUNTRY
SEG.CAR
SEG.MODEL
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. This explains a lot.

WebFOCUS 8.1.0.1 M
Windows Server 2008
PDF, HTML, Excel

Posts: 9 | Location: Urbana, Illinois, USA | Registered: August 16, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Wazzah's Suggestions

PRINT * is a big No No, unless you have a very good reason to use it.

Its the sign of a lazy programmer

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its the sign of a lazy programmer

Or a programmer trying to confirm the VERY LONG set of defines actually worked.

Good thing I have Sublime Text and Slickedit to do the excessive retyping.

Smiler

WebFOCUS 8.1.0.1 M
Windows Server 2008
PDF, HTML, Excel