Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Table Prompt Slow for SQL (or date problem for WebFocus))

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Table Prompt Slow for SQL (or date problem for WebFocus))
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Going about this two ways as I'm trying to create one fex file that can provide data from two sources based on the table name.

I tried creating a procedure using SQL and created a similar procedure using native WebFocus.
I'll explain the SQL version first and then the WebFocus.

I created a procedure and it is working to allow me to choose an sql table file or different sql table based on amperprompt criteria. When I run it hard coded with the table name in the sql statement performance is fast.

SELECT XYZ FROM TABLE1

When the same table name is used via amperTableName, performance is slow.

SELECT XZY FROM &TABLENAME 

Since this is sql, can't give car example. Any thoughts on why it would run slower via a prompt versions the actual table name?

I also am trying to go about it the other way around using native webfocus. I have spent sevaral hours on this and got it to provide data from Table A, but when I try to get data from Table B, I run into a problem because in order to get data from Table B, I have to restrict it by RunDate. How do I provide the date or format the date so that it can be used in the following SET statement? This is what I have tried, among other things.

-SET &WHERE_STRING = IF &ORACLEDATE EQ 'CURRENT' THEN &WHERE_STRING ELSE &WHERE_STRING | ' AND HDATE(DATE_UPDATED, ''YYMD'') EQ &ORACLEDATE';

The issue is a combination of how to convert the date so Focus understands it and also format of the SET command as there is another error with missing quotes.

This statement works if I use it directly in the section where the WHERE is located, but of course, I don't want to have to hard code this.

WHERE HDATE ( DATE_UPDATED, 'YYMD' ) EQ '2012-07-31'

Also, how can I have the prompt so that the user can enter the date normally instead of Year-Month-Day?

WebFocus 7.7.03
Win7, all output

Guru
posted Hide Post
Question 1 - Try .EVAL in your sql pass thru
SELECT XZY FROM &TABLENAME.EVAL

Question 2 - Try .QUOTEDSTRING to evaluate the quotes correctly.
-SET &ORACLEDATE = 'CURRENT_X';
-SET &ORACLEDATE = 'CURRENT';
-SET &WHERE_STRING = 'WHERE HDATE(DATE_UPDATED, ''YYMD'')';
-SET &WHERE_STRING = IF &ORACLEDATE.EVAL EQ 'CURRENT' THEN &WHERE_STRING.QUOTEDSTRING ELSE &WHERE_STRING.QUOTEDSTRING | ' AND HDATE(DATE_UPDATED, ''YYMD'') EQ &ORACLEDATE.EVAL';
-TYPE &WHERE_STRING

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Unix Self-Service/MRE/Report Caster - Outputs Excel, PDF, HTML, Flat Files

Posts: 320 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: February 12, 2008Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Mighty Max,

Thank you for your suggestions. The first one did not make a difference in the performance. Hard coding the table name, report comes up in about 3 seconds. Using the variable it took 3 minutes even with .EVAL. Does the fact that the portion of the code that uses the sql statement to create the hold file is being called from as an -INCLUDE affect the performance when their is a variable involved?

As for the webfocus version (also an include), I tried the .QUOTEDSTRING and received the error message:
(FOC36355) INVALID TYPE OF ARGUMENT #1 FOR USER FUNCTION HDATE

Should I use another function or method to evaluate the date in the variable/WHERE clause? The date field in the underlying Oracle Table mas looks like this:
FIELDNAME=DATE_UPDATED, ALIAS=DATE_UPDATED, USAGE=HYYMDS, ACTUAL=HYYMDS,
MISSING=ON, $

and for the purpose of the WHERE clause, only want to look at the date portion excluding the time. In the prompt box of the fex how do I best key in the date I want to supply as a variable?

With your changes, this part is from the SQL version:

-SET &TABLENAME = IF &TABLETYPE EQ 'FOC_NONE' THEN 'usf_stu.usf_as_status_slot a' ELSE 'usf_stu.usf_as_status_slot_archive a';

from &TABLENAME.EVAL

This part is from the WebFocus Version

-DEFAULT &ORACLEDATE = 'CURRENT'
-SET &WHERE_STRING = '( PROGRAM OMITS ''ND'' ) AND ( NOT COLLEGE IN (''00'',''LW'') ) AND ( NOT STU_POPULATION IN (''J'',''S'',''V'') ) AND ( TERM GT ''201225'' ) AND ( TERM LT ''201310'' );';
-SET &WHERE_STRING = IF &ORACLEDATE.EVAL EQ 'CURRENT' THEN &WHERE_STRING.QUOTEDSTRING ELSE &WHERE_STRING.QUOTEDSTRING | ' AND HDATE(DATE_UPDATED, ''YYMD'') EQ &ORACLEDATE.EVAL';
WHERE &WHERE_STRING

WebFocus 7.7.03
Win7, all output

Expert
posted Hide Post
Q1:

There is absolutely no reason that using a Dialogue Manager variable will make a SQL passthru request slower. Dialogue Manager is a scripting language - the actual report request, whether it be SQL pasthru or WebFOCUS or FOCUS is executed in exactly the same way: embedding Dialogue Manager variables in the code will make no difference - as long as the values in the Dialogue Manager variable values are correct.

Have you tried turning retrieval off so you can see your code results without having to wait for the slow SQL?
-SET &ECHO=ON;
SET XRETRIEVAL=OFF
With this you get to see the actual code that is passed to WebFOCUS - with Dialogue Manager variables translated to their values. Stick a -EXIT right after the END statement of you're having trouble with.

This really shouldn't be difficult to debug.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Q2:

-SET &WHERE_STRING = IF &ORACLEDATE EQ 'CURRENT' THEN &WHERE_STRING ELSE &WHERE_STRING | ' AND HDATE(DATE_UPDATED, ''YYMD'') EQ &ORACLEDATE';

If DATE_UPDATED is a Date-Time column, I would not use HDATE to extract the Date from this column - you're doing this for each row in the table, which could end up being very inefficient.

This is the type of WHERE statement I would use when I have a Dialogue Manager variable that contains a date and a table that contains a Date-Time column:

WHERE DATE_UPDATED FROM '1977-06-07 00:00:00.000' TO '1977-06-07 23:59:59.999'

You may be able to get away with
WHERE DATE_UPDATED FROM '19770607 00:00:00.000' TO '19770607 23:59:59.999'
so, if your &ORACLEDATE value is in YYMD format, this should work:
WHERE DATE_UPDATED FROM '&ORACLEDATE 00:00:00.000' TO '&ORACLEDATE 23:59:59.999'

Also, you may not need the .000 and .999.

This translates to SQL:
WHERE
 (T1.DATE_UPDATED BETWEEN '2001-12-24 00:00:00' AND '2001-12-24
 23:59:59')

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,

Thank you for looking at this. I ended up contacting Tech Support and they told me that I should use -IF and GOTO LABEL rather than IF THEN ELSE in the -SET statement. Using this approach solved the performance issue for the SQL version. They said it doesn't have to do with the sql statement itself but how Webfocus handles the variables in the sql pass through. Here is the revised code:
-DEFAULT &ORACLEDATE = 'CURRENT'
-IF &ORACLEDATE EQ 'CURRENT' GOTO LABEL1 ELSE GOTO LABEL2;
-LABEL1
-SET &TABLETYPE = 'FOC_NONE';
-SET &TABLENAME = 'usf_stu.usf_as_status_slot a';
-GOTO TABLESET
-LABEL2
-SET &TABLETYPE = ' ';
-SET &TABLENAME = 'usf_stu.usf_as_status_slot_archive a';
-GOTO TABLESET

I'll try your other suggestion on the dates for the Q2 and let you know how it goes.

WebFocus 7.7.03
Win7, all output

Expert
posted Hide Post
I am very surprised by this!

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
...but how Webfocus handles the variables in the sql pass through...

@sxschech -> Thank you for sharing this information/solution.

@group -> Our shop doesn't currently use the Direct SQL Passthru facility very much. However, I have often wondered if we did, whether or not Direct SQL Passthru supports Dialogue Manager amper variables.

The information from the support line, seems to indicate that amper variables are supported (resolved), but a bit differently.

Can anyone clarify this point further? (I've checked the manuals and did not see mention/examples of amper variable resolution within Direct SQL Passthru.)

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

Guru
posted Hide Post
I use amper variables all of the time in sql pass thru. But I always SET their values before the sql pass thru. I have found some inconsistency using FOC_NONE however. It does not always ignore the line. I usually comment out the line or skip the line. I am not sure if sxschech was trying to SET the amper variables within the sql pass thru.

-SET &CONNECTION = 'DEV';
-SET &USER_ID = 'FOC_NONE';
-SET &USER_FILTER = IF ('&USER_ID.EVAL' EQ 'FOC_NONE') THEN '-*' ELSE '';

ENGINE SQLORA SET DEFAULT_CONNECTION &CONNECTION.EVAL
SQL SQLORA PREPARE SQLOUT FOR

SELECT
      FIRST_NAME,
      LAST_NAME
FROM USERS
&USER_FILTER.EVAL WHERE USER_ID = '&USER_ID.EVAL'

;
END
-RUN

TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT
     FIRST_NAME
     LAST_NAME
END

WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Unix Self-Service/MRE/Report Caster - Outputs Excel, PDF, HTML, Flat Files

Posts: 320 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: February 12, 2008Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, and nice example, Max.

Yep, the need to keep the dash commands outside/before the Direct SQL Passthru construct, is reasonable.

Thanks again.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
The -SET commands were in the first few lines of code before the SQL section. The problem wasn't affecting the speed/performance when using amper variables as a filter in a WHERE clause or another part of the select statement. It only seemed to be an issue in the FROM clause and only when there was a need to choose between different tables. If the ampervariable was hard coded with a specific table name (didn't need to decide between Table A or Table B), the performance was not affected.

WebFocus 7.7.03
Win7, all output