Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Can you have subheads within subheads?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Can you have subheads within subheads?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
In a report I'm developing, I've currently got a subhead followed by some detail lines. I have discovered that some of the detail data would be better displayed in a subhead under the first subhead. I'm just not sure how to code something like that. Does anyone have some pseudocode of how I can accomplish what I'm wanting?

By the way, this is in Mainframe FOCUS, Rel 7.1.1, just to let you know in advance.

Thank you - looking forward to hearing your replies and advice!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Master
posted Hide Post
You can have multiple subheads and use the WHEN statement to control when they should be display.

Look up the WHEN in use with a subhead

Hope this helps

Scott

Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks for replying, Stingray. That at least points me toward something I might be able to use. I'll do some WHEN searching and see if that'll get me to where I want to be.

Thanks again.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
ON PROJECT_ID SUBHEAD
" <+0> "
"PROJECT:<+0> WHEN PROJECT_ID NE 'SOMPJ' ;

the WHEN on subheads/foots (feet?) aren't the usual WHEN=, they're a wee bit different and must be alone on the last line.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
and/or artificial sortfields.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
susannah and Ginny,

Thanks for replying, however I don't understnad your replies at all. Can you expand a little?

Thanks!

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think Susannah was intimating that you can have a multi-line subhead where you can put the detail stuff in below the group stuff but I'll let her explaine that.

As for my suggestion, a subhead is done on a sortfield. Let's say, using Susannah's sortfield of PROJECT, that would be your big group. You could then create a dummy sortfield under project, call it SUBPROJ/I2 and set it to a constant number. Or you might have to adjust it according to your data. Then after the BY PROJECT SUBHEAD, you do a BY SUBPROJ NOPRINT then ON SUBPROJ SUBHEAD.

It would be easier if you gave us a data example.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi, Ginny

Gotcha! Yes, that's correct - multiple subheads, somewhat like Person's name, then followed by a subhead of account number, then followed by subhead of activity, and then by details. That's what I'm interested in, since some of our employees charge their work to various account numbers, at various pay rates. Right now, my report looks way too full, with repeating info on the detail lines. I'm looking for improved readability.

Thanks again.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO