Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Producing a Freeform Report from a Maintain

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Producing a Freeform Report from a Maintain
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Is it possible to produce a PDF report from a maintain in a different window? The way I am doing it now does not produce any output. I assume the focexec is running in the same window but then immediately closes and returns to the calling maintain once it is finished.

The way I am doing it now is:

1) The first maintain calls another maintain with variables containing things the mail merged letter needs.

2) The second maintain decides what letter to produce based on one of the variables that it is passed and runs the appropriate focexec to produce that letter.

3) The focexec makes a freeform report (mail merge type letter) PDF based on the variables it is passed from the second maintain.

Is there a way this PDF can be opened in a new tab and stay open with this logic? Is this even possible with maintain?

Sandbox Version: 8.1.04
Sandbox Platform: Windows 2008 R2
Testing Version: 7.7.02M
Testing Platform: Windows Server 2008 R2
WF Production Version: 7.7.02M
Production Platform: Windows Server 2008

Posts: 57 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
The best way for Maintain to perform a report and keep it open in a new window is to use JavaScript. This requires that the user clicks on a button or link and you either use a Web Link to the report, or create the URL with JavaScript and do a window.open(url)

However, if I understand you want to launch the report using EXEC? Please clarify that. I don't know of anyway to make that happen but I will research.

Mark

Posts: 663 | Location: New York | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Let me explain. I have a first maintain that has a notes section on the screen. The user can type notes that can appear on the letter in this maintain.

That maintain passes consumer information and the notes to another maintain which decides what letter needs to be produced based a variable it is passed. After it decides which letter it wants to produce, it runs the appropriate FocExec via the EXEC command passing the consumer information and notes the letter needs to print.

This obviously does not work the second maintain runs and may even run the report but it immediately returns to the first maintain after the FocExec finishes I believe. I need some sort of solution that I can produce this letter in PDF.

It is a letter that users print out and send to people based on information typed in a screen. It also needs to be produced ad hoc. Thanks.

Posts: 57 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Richard
I am afraid we cannot do this, this way. The EXEC command is designed to return output to the parent Maintain either as stack, HTML or messages. There is nothing that EXEC can do to open another browser window.

Is there a way to collect all of the data that you need to determine what report to run and hide it on the form? Then when any event is triggered you can kick off a Web Link or a URL, collect that data from the form, and run the report. That report CAN display in a new browser as PDF. Any of the items on the URL line, including what FEX to kick off can be parametrized.

If you need to return to the Maintain procedure to process the data and then kick off the URL, this can be done in an Open event for the form.

Mark

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I tried using the Web Link method. I used controls to pass variables to the FocExec. One of the controls was blank and it gave me an alert saying invalid data or something like that.

Do all controls need to be filled if I am using them in a Web Link?

Master
posted Hide Post
It depends where the error came from. If the variable in the report needs a value, you can use a -DEFAULT statement in the report. You could also pre-populate the variable on the form with a default value.

If neither of those work let me know and we can create a repro.

Mark

Gold member
posted Hide Post
This is the error it gives on the maintain page.

Please enter a valid input in edtConsumerBSUID

It doesn't get to the report.

Master
posted Hide Post
Is edtConsumerBSUID a field on your form that you are passing to the Weblink?

If so, try putting in a default value and see if that gets you to the report.

Mark

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I get a report as long as there are values in the fields that I am passing. If they are blank it gives me an alert.

Master
posted Hide Post
If you are grabbing the values from controls like a ComboBox, then either have a default value, in case nothing is selected or use editboxes instead. You can populate the edit boxes from the selections of any controls and pass those values to the report. That way you can always have a default value in those fields.