Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] -INCLUDE RECURSIVE OVERFLOW

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] -INCLUDE RECURSIVE OVERFLOW
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
We have been experiencing our reports failing with this error and am unsure how to debug it. It doesn't happen when we run reports thru Dev Studio but through our applicaton. It is sporadic and we have problems identifying a pattern. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to pinpoint the problem? Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Posts: 118 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: January 16, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Laurie,

Apparently, what you have is an -INCLUDE which includes itself, or 2 -INCLUDEs that include each other, and this situation has happened too many times. Probably in Dev Studio you don't have many recursive calls but when running your application it does.

I suggest that you insert at your beginning of your included fex a -WRITE to a file statement to have a log of your calls.

Good luck!

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I will try what you suggest.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I can't find any instructions for how to write to a file in online help. How do I go about doing this?

<JG>
posted
What Danny means (I assume)

At the beginning of each include add a FILEDEF and a -WRITE

For example

FILEDEF MYLOG DISK c:\temp\MYLOG.TXT (APPEND
-RUN
-WRITE MYLOG include name Start

at the end I would also add

-WRITE MYLOG include name End

from that log you will then be able to see how much recursive coding you are generating.

Basically a manual HLIPRINT as used in MODIFY

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Another possibility is to do a SET DEFECHO=ALL in your edasprof and then just run the request - no changes needed in your fexes. Whenever the request fails, you'll have the complete path to your fail in the web page as plain readable code. You may have to read a lot of code this way, but it is complete. You would have to be sure that there is nowhere a -SET &ECHO statement in your code, since that would override the default echo set in edasprof.

Yet another possibility is to add -TYPE statements to each and every fex in the same manner JG described for the -WRITEs. This will not write to a file, but again to the web page.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
quote:
You may have to read a lot of code

That's the problem GamP.

Trying to track what is what and where it is, is very difficult with a full echoed output.

Using the method suggested by Daniel and extending it to include the end of include you
can easily indent it, and it becomes very easy to read and see what is going on.

Report This Post