Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Create chart from Report?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Create chart from Report?
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I know this has to be possible. I have a report that i would like to generate a chart from.. .whenever i go to "new chart", it prompts me for a .MAS to reference and does not show any .fex files. I must just be doing something backwards....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BSBAL18,

AS Version: 8201
Gen: 10202016
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 49 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: December 13, 2016Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You cannot create a chart from a report. You can drill (link) a report to a chart or vice versa.

Every input for a report or a chart has to be a master file (a source of data).

If your "report" (fex) do create a HOLD file, then from that HOLD file you can create a graph/report but you are still creating the graph from a source of data not from a fex.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I can think of two ways of accomplishing this.

1. Create an Active Report with all the metrics and dimensions you'll need in a chart. Once you run the report, you can chart any of the columns by another column with many different chart types.

2. In InfoAssist+ while you're creating a report, you can click the Chart button from the top left hand side, and the columns you have in the report will switch to a default chart using the same master file and columns you have in the report.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can think of two ways of accomplishing this.

1. Create an Active Report with all the metrics and dimensions you'll need in a chart. Once you run the report, you can chart any of the columns by another column with many different chart types.

2. In InfoAssist+ while you're creating a report, you can click the Chart button from the top left hand side, and the columns you have in the report will switch to a default chart using the same master file and columns you have in the report.

Not to contradict you Babak, but technically the above solutions do not create "New Chart".
In the first one, once the report is executed you are using an option to show the report result as a graph but nothing is "new", you cannot "save" the new chart as something you can reuse.
In the second you just change the output format to become a graph instead of a tabular report. Sure that if your original report already been saved and you then change the output from report to graph and perform a "save as", yes it's kind of creating a chart from a report.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The most basic way is to change
"TABLE FILE [filename]" TO
"GRAPH FILE [filename]" ... and go from there.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I am having trouble implementing this. I am new to WF (2017) and use primarily the GUI. I understand the hold-file, but how do i run the report to hold the file, and then use that as my reference for the chart?

AS Version: 8201
Gen: 10202016
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 49 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: December 13, 2016Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
On the report go to the FORMAT tab then choose your output (format/database formats) choose FOCUS or XFOCUS. You will be prompted to add index fields at this point, after hitting "Ok" stay on the FORMAT tab and click on the DESTINATION(HOLD) icon, name your hold file.

Keeping your current procedure open, move over to the Procedure View window, right-click New - Chart. When the Chart Wizard window opens select the master file from the hold file you just created.

WF Version 8105

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
https://webfocusinfocenter.inf.../pdfs/wfinfoasst.pdf

Chapter 11.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post