Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Question on Standard Time for running report

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Question on Standard Time for running report
 Login/Join

<Sherry Carbaugh>
posted
We are looking to find out what other Web Focus users consider an average or acceptable time to run a report. We have considered 3 minutes but wanted to know what other users consider an acceptable run time.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think 3 minutes is a long time to wait for a web-based report.

Maybe you can explain in more detail where you are going with this question and we can guide you to a more specific answer.

It would also help if you would update your profile signature with your product suite, release, and platform.

Thanks.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sherry, I agree w/ Ginny, 3 minutes is a long time; 7 seconds is my goal.( i have a quote somewhere from research done on user acceptance testing)
If a report takes too long, i redesign the database underneath it. I use focus databases, created from the source (whether its oracle or db2 or whatever)... i can reduce a 120 second report to 6 seconds using a well-constructed, batch-built, xfocus database.
(nothing beats it, i'm convinced.)
-s

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I agree 3 minutes is too long. What Susannah said about different things to do to speed it up is the right approach. Also consider putting a report in ReportCaster and distributing the report if it is not an on demand type.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
We have taken the approach (though sometimes it's a bad assumption) that our internal users are a little more aware of what it is that they are requesting and are not as concerned about the amount of time. For example, when our Finance users run a 5-year report for 3 million claims, they would expect it to take a minute or two.

All of our external (customer facing) reports are built so that 1) they are not able to request data sets that would take this long and 2)they only take about 20 seconds for the very largest reports. Average about 7-10 seconds.

In any case, I would say if it takes 3 minutes to run a report, something(s) need to change. Database indices, coding efficiencies, etc.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
The other thing to keep in mind is that response time (time from when the submit button is pressed until the screen is done) will vary greatly depending on the type of report. The time to run the job may be a few seconds, but it can take a long time to get the output back to the user. For example, for a detail report, "PCHOLD FORMAT WP" is much faster than anything else. If a report is coming back in EXCEL and it has 10K rows with 30 colums, it can take a while to download.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Response time is very dependant on

Backend (DB, dataware house etc., quantity and quality of indexes)
Quality of code and technique
Type of request (summary or detail)
Frontend (browser.)

Plus many variations, combinations of interaction with other things.

Datamarts are a dirty word for a lot of companies but if you want summary reports,
with a very fast response which the should have (2-3 secs max) build summary tables
and drill to detail if it is required.

There are lots of best practice guides and training designed to optimize code

Frontend 1st reccomendation dump IE in the trash, Firefox takes to long to load.

Based on some testing I've just done look at the new Google Chrome beta. It's very fast
even opening and loading an excel report which it does directly to excel not the irritating
IE plugins.

Report This Post