Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Master Field upadte
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hello,
Is it possible updating the dataset field in a master from a fex?
Thank's
Philippe

WebFocus thru Dev Studio version 7.6.11
Dev Studio on Windows Xp, Webfocus Client on UNIX basing on TOMCAT and DB2,
Reporting Server on MVS , USS and on UNIX

Posts: 39 | Location: France | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You could probably use UNIX OS commands to edit the file, but please tell us why you would like to do that, it will help us understand the particular requirement.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
HI;
The Rporting Server is based on MVS, and the masters are here too.
In our organization, a master describe more than one physical file. All contains similar logical informations but each file is used by different societies.
So each society user have to use DYNAM ALLOC command.
But this is action is impossible to make in MRE environment.
It's why I though dinamically update de DATASET field in the master.

Expert
posted Hide Post
This would be much easier to do if you took the DATASET parameter out of the master and use an amper variable based on the society to do the DYNAM ALLOC of the individual data set per society to the same master name.

DYNAM ALLOC MASNAME DSN &SOCIETY_FILE SHR REUSE

You'll have to figure out how to pass the society value into the focexec but this should work for you.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
philippe,

You don't need to edit/update any part of your synonyms to do what I think you want to do.
You can dynamically switch the synonym used by a report each time it runs.

Before consolidation of many databases, my firms IT department supported 5 subsidiaries running the same J.D.Edwards suite of enterprise software. Each subsidiary's data was set-up in a separate ORACLE data space. We had to run identical FOCUS reports, separately, for each subsidiary. We did this with multiple DataAdapters and pathing *.fex to run with a dynamically determined set of *.acx files.

You don't have to have your pairs of *.mas and *.acx in the same library, and you can have multiple (like named) *.acx for each *.mas providing your search path insures that the first *.acx found is the one you want to complete the pair needed to run the report.

We defined a DataAdapter for each of the 5 subsidiaries, pointing to that subsidiary's ORACLE database.

We put a single copy of the set of the Master Files into one apps library (eg: ...\ibi\apps\mas_for_allSub) and the set of Access Files for each subsidiary into separate apps library (eg: ...\ibi\apps\acx_for_sub1, ...\acx_for_sub2\, etc.). The folder of *.mas and the folders of *.acx all contained the same number of files, all with the same names.

The content of the *.acx libraries, while having the same set of file names, differed in their content. Each library used a different CONNECTION= value. All *.acx in a folder had the same CONNECTION= value, but each folder used a different value throughout. (We accomplished this by generating a single set of synonyms, moving the *.acx to a separate library, replicating that *.acx library 4 times, and using a mass text-find-and-replace tool 4 times to change the CONNECTION= values.)

Every *.fex began with an APP PREPENDPATH that put the access file library for the target subsidiary at the front of the search path. The apps-lib-name part of the APP command was constructed with an &-var whose value was passed into the fex as a parameter from the MRE user or the RCcaster schedule (eg: APP PREPENDPATH mas_for_allsub acx_for_sub&SUBNR).

When an MRE user ran the report he/she was autoprompted for &SUBNR. ReportCaster contained sets of 5 schedules (each named to reflect the report and the subsidiary). All 5 were identical except for the value of the &SUBNR parameter and the report distribution parameters.

We ran like this for years, "dropping" FOCEXECs atop multiple databases, until the IT department consolidated the 5 sets of data into a single database with each row of data marked as to it's subsidiary. At that time, we deleted the APP PREPENDPATHs and moved the &SUBNR parameter into new WHERE statements.

Still runs like a charm!

Chris

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cburtt,

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thank's for your remarks;
for GinniJakes,
Today we have something similar ans it's what I want to change.
For cburtt
What's the difference in performance way between allocating dynamically the access file library with a dynam alloc command and by usingt the APP PREPENDPATH ?

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Philippe,

I don't know the performance difference.
I wasn't familiar with the DYNAM command, and after checking DevStudio's Help pages, I see that it's described in the context of TSO and z/OS [Ah! I fondly remember '//... DD ...'! Typed Ks of them in my career.]
My current employer is strictly MS/Windows, so DYNAM isn't an option.

Anyway, it would take a whole stack of 'DD' statements after the first named one to achieve the DSN concatenation sequence producing a search path with common ('public') libraries at the end and progressively more tailored and private libraries toward the beginning, each tailored for an individual/group.

Our need is to structure the APP PATH to the individual user (or Group, if I can learn how to do so) so that, for example, only HR people have access to the HR apps, Sales staff gets only Sales applications, Executives get access to multiple business areas depending on their span of authority, etc. All this atop libraries of shared Synonyms, -INCLUDE objects, and stuff unique to the user's geographic location.

Chris.

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post