Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] time out warning from webfocus

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] time out warning from webfocus
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
is there a way to configure webfocus to send a warning that the user will be timed out after certain period of inactivity?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

wf 7.6.11
unix aix
active reports, HTML, Excel, Text and PDF formats

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That's really a function of the browser and every user's browser could have a different setting so the answer is probably no.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It's a function of the web server (Apache, IIS, etc) used in conjunction with the WebFOCUS server.

You'd have to code some message in a JS pop-up or HTML screen, but that would be annoying for requests that may not take longer than the web server timeout setting. You would display this message just before submitting the request.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you are able to do this, and I think it would be useful. You will have to get the browser to poll the Web server to get the time remaining.

Would the polling change the timeout ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
<JG>
posted
There are several different areas of timeout.

Browser timeout which as stated can vary for each user.

Webserver timeout which is fixed for all users

WebFocus server limits, connection_limit, cpu_limit and memory_limit
which in a default installation are unlimited.

Normally the browser limit will be the lowest.

What you really require is the resource govenor which will act pre-emptivly.

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
thanks all for the info. I should clarify my situation a little. We have delivered the report in the IBI Dashboard environment. The user has switched to other browser window and left the wfc one inactive for a long period of time, which caused the wfc browser window time out. I was hoping there was a configuration in wfc that can return a better page than the "http 401 declined to show webpage" page, such as the response page returned on the webconsole that allows the user to come back in when the webconsole times out.

Sounds like there is outside of wfc? And we have to code some html page and stuff? But how can that html page be triggered upon browser time out. Remember we have delivered the report and is done. Thanks.

wf 7.6.11
unix aix

<JG>
posted
Set the report so that it can only be run deferred.

Then you do not have an issue.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
JG is right, deferred is the best and easiest way.

If you have issues with Dashboard timeingout, look here.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It is not the reports that time out. The report completd and returned to browser. The user left that browser window after report completion and did something else in another application in another window. The former browser window, left inactive, timed out by the browser. Even with deferred report, if the user left the browser, that browser window will still time out.

wf 7.6.11
unix aix

Expert
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a web browser timeout setting and I have some experience with IE 6, Safari 3, Firefox 3, Opera. Could someone point out where the user can set the web browser timeout time?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I believe there is a time out parameter on the header of a page in the browser. But I don't believe I am looking for some way to set that time out parameter. I am looking for some way done in wfc, either by fex and/or html, to send a warning popup to the user when that browser timeout limit approaches. Thanks.

wf 7.6.11
unix aix

Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a web browser timeout. If there is such a thing as "a parameter on the header of a page" then that page is being served by the web server at the other end of the tube, not by the web browser at the user end of the tube.

To "send a warning popup to the user when that browser timeout limit approaches" you'd have to build something that keeps testing the time, which would make things inefficient in my humble opinion. I just don't know why your users get the problem of timed-out BID pages in their web browser just because they go to another window. I have never seen this behaviour.

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
yeah, they did get a http 403 declined msg upon timed out. I think that comes out either from the browser page, or the server, or the siteMinder, or the network. we have so many timeout layers that it is not funny.

And yes, it might be stupid and inefficient; but our users are used to getting a popup warning from the other JAVA app. It must have java pgm triggered somehow to run in the background, which returns the popup jsp page. Our users are expecting similar from the wfc too. I was wondering how I can get a fex triggered from the report fex to run standalone in the background to do similar thing...

wf 7.6.11
unix aix

Expert
posted Hide Post
I just can't see how a pop-up message would help with
quote:
The report completed and returned to browser. The user left that browser window after report completion and did something else in another application in another window. The former browser window, left inactive, timed out by the browser. Even with deferred report, if the user left the browser, that browser window will still time out

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
a popup msg will warn the user that the browser window will be timed out soon so that they can swap back to that browser and do something to keep the browser window active

wf 7.6.11
unix aix

<JG>
posted
Browser timeout is related purely to the browser waiting for a reply from the web server
not related to the browser sitting with a loaded page.

I would think that what you are experiancing is report expiry on the WebFOCUS server
EXPIRE_REPORTS setting in the Administration console under general.

quote:

EXPIRE_REPORTS
The time when reports generated by the WebFOCUS Reporting Server are to be re-executed.
The expiration time is set in seconds, and the default setting is 300 seconds.

You can view a previously executed report on the browser without re-executing its request.
If the request for a report you are running is the same as the one executed previously (within 300 seconds), then the browser displays the previously executed report stored in the cache when you use the browser's Back, Reload, or Refresh button.

You can set EXPIRE_REPORTS in the following ways:

To ensure that the reports are re-executed, set EXPIRE_REPORTS to 1 second.
To view the browser's cached output without using the browser's Back, Reload, or Refresh button, set EXPIRE_REPORTS to a large number, such as 4,000,000,000 seconds.

What this means is that when the report is expired you can not navigate with the html
page as the source no longer exists.

Comparing Java and WebFOCUS is not valid as WebFOCUS is a disconnected application meaning that
it has absolutely no idea about you after you have recieved the output.

Just for a bit of fun though as it's Christmas

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
    RETAIL_COST
    DEALER_COST
  BY COUNTRY
  BY MODEL
  BY CAR
  ON TABLE HOLD AS REPORT FORMAT HTMTABLE
END
-RUN
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<form name="counter"><input type="text" size="8" name="d2" ></form> 
-* add style="visibility:hidden" to hide the timer
<script> 
<!-- 
// 
 var milisec=0 
 var seconds=30 
 document.counter.d2.value='30' 

function display(){ 
 if (seconds==20 &|&  milisec==1 ){ 
    alert("Timeout in less than 20 seconds");
 } 
 if (milisec<=0){ 
    milisec=9 
    seconds-=1 
 } 
 if (seconds<=-1){ 
    milisec=0 
    seconds+=1 
 } 
 else 
    milisec-=1 
    document.counter.d2.value=seconds+"."+milisec 
    setTimeout("display()",100) 
} 
display() 
--> 
</script> 
!IBI.FIL.REPORT;
-HTMLFROM END

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
thanks, JG! This may very well be it. We will check it out. Thanks.

wf 7.6.11
unix aix