Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     E-mail at the click of a button?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
E-mail at the click of a button?
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi all
We have a requirement to enable users to run the report as well as send an e-mail (with the report as an attchment) to anyone.
Hence the report input parameters will include the following, apart from the other parameters:
To E-mail Address: _________ (Eg. abc@xyz.com)
Subject:________________

The report also has a check box to allow the users to Archive the report to WebFOCUS Library.

When the user clicks on 'Submit' button, the report gets generated on the browser and simultaneously, an e-mail is sent to the recepients with the report as an attachement.

Is there an API to achieve this? Do we have any active-x component which could provide this feature?

Any pointers would be helpful.

Rgds
Syed

Using WF 7.1.7/Dev Studio

Posts: 189 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: July 12, 2005Report This Post
<dksib>
posted
I created and tested a sample version of this process back when I was on your team. Please review my HTML and reports.

It is a three step process.
1) created the report
2) email the report
3) display the report

For archiving I tested it by sending it to the WF library that once a day copies the new files to the certified library.

David

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi all
I have been reading the posts for some of the options WRT this issue. I did get a response from David on this. However, I was not able to find the HTMs he had worked on.
My question to you is - in order to achieve this functionality, which, out of the following options, would you recommend?

1. Using DSTRUN to force the execution of a Report Caster job.
2. Using mailto command in Unix (since the WebFOCUS server is mounter on Unix box in our case).
3. Using an API which does this.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Syed

Expert
posted Hide Post
Syed,

I am not on Unix but the process I use in Windows (you could probably find a Unix equivalent) is to produce and hold the file to a network folder and write a VBScript file using passed variables. The VBScript written is to create a CDONTS object (email) and attach the output file as an attachment. The VBScript is executed from within the WF program.

For others who are about to question why -

Yes, I know that RC can attach a file etc., but the file in question is a complex Excel template which contains VBA to arrange and format each worksheet, print area and remove all VBA code before delivery to the end user, and that is something WF / RC can't do on it's own.

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response Tony! Your posts always add to my knowledge about WebFOCUS!!
I was going through the posts on DSTRUN. Can we have the report sitting on RC and kick it off using DSTRUN when the user clicks on the retrieve button? This is just my thought - not sure if this is how DSTRUN can be used.
If yes, then my question would be more on the implementation of DSTRUN, which I guess, is a separate discussion altogether.
Pls let me know your response.

Rgds
Syed

Expert
posted Hide Post
Syed,

You could have a button to trigger a fex which set the next runtime for a RC job to current time plus a little. See the various articles available in the Developer Centre under Tips and Techniques, specifically Zulu Time by Susannah and Using reg.exe ... by John Gray, although the latter one is windows oriented.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
If your UNIX email is active, it is a simple matter to code the UNIX script to email. In the past I have posted the code on how to incorporate the UNIX code.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Pat/Tony
Thanks much for your responses!
Pat - I did try to search for your post on the UNIX e-mail options, but could not spot the relevant one. Would you be able to point me to the post which you mentioned?
Also, in order to implement the method mentioned by you, I would need to know the path of WebFOCUS Report Library (to trigger a fex and send it to Library)? Is this something I would need access to before I implement UNIX e-mail for my report?

Thanks
Syed