Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     HTML Composer: Basic Question #1: How get rid of unwanted "Unbound Parameters?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
HTML Composer: Basic Question #1: How get rid of unwanted "Unbound Parameters?
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
HTML Composer: Basic Question #1: How get rid of unwanted "Unbound Parameters? I don't want these things in my HTML file.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Basic obvious question back : Why are there unbound parameters? You are calling a procedure what needs parameters. If the HTML doesn't provide them. Autoprompt will appear.

If they're parameters that not need user-input you might want to add:

-DEFAULTH &INTERNAL_ID = 0;

This will make the Composer accept the fact that this parameter does not need to be bound.

G'luck

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Agree with Dave. If you have unbound parameters, they came from somewhere and should be handled.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Expert
posted Hide Post
Of course they come from somewhere. They come from -DEFAULT statements. These are in a common module that is called in many programs. Why do -DEFAULT statements generate unwanted unbound parameters? Why would we need to modify all -DEFAULT statements that are in a fex to -DEFAULTH statements?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Francis,

suggests a value for the end-user ( in MRE and autoprompt anyway )

-DEFAULT &USER_INPUT = 'TOYOTA';

TABLE FILE CAR
	SUM SALES
	BY CAR
WHERE CAR EQ '&USER_INPUT'
END

This will prompt the user for input and 'TOYOTA' is already in the textbox.

-DEFAULTH
This works different. This will set a variable to this value. But only when the variable is not supplied.

Does the same as :
-SET &USER_INPUT = IF ( &USER_INPUT.EXIST ) AND ( &USER_INPUT NE '' OR ' ' ) THEN &USER_INPUT ELSE 'TOYOTA';

And it will tell the HTML-composer that &USER_INPUT is not a mandatory variable... ...hence no 'UNBOUND' issues

Hope this helps.
Good luck !

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Some applications want to use -DEFAULT values and some do not. If you want to use them, then you can leave them unbound. For those that just want them as a default but allow their users to change them, they create controls for them.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Expert
posted Hide Post
I want to get rid of these unbound parameters. Why can't I right-click on one and select Delete?

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
f, you can just erase them from the code, if you open the html in mre or some text editor
i trick the system when i'm building a launch page with a bunch of -INCLUDED stuff where the developer didn't have sense enuf to DEFAULTH
i connect my run button to a fex that isn't the actual report, just a container that =DEFAULT s only the variables i want to appear on my launch page. and that container fex does nothing more than just -TYPE them out.
..and once the launch page suits me, i replace the container name with the actual fex name, or -INCLUDE the actual fexname in the container..
and then in mre, i comment the fexname with ' ... dont open this in devstu'
but you know way more than all this already so i suspect you're just saying 'why isn't this easier?' to which i agree

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

If you're going to use the GUI tools, you will need to change your by-line: "An old coder never leaves a mess". Confused

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
speaking of a mess....we hired a consultant here who wrote a launch page that was seven thousand ines line, count'em , 7 whole thousand!
ibi employee, too!... when i discovered it some years later, i recranked it...200 lines....that's all any self-respecting launch page should be.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Seven thousand lines of GUI?

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
Francis,

it's not about deleting unbound parameters in the GUI.

It's about those parameters being in the fex you're calling in the first place. You can't blame the GUI for letting you know the fex -needs- those parameters.

7K lines of code???
I'm getting more and more the feeling that.. yeah anything is possible with WF because you can code it yourself...
...but you have to code MOST of it yourself. It lacks ( imho ) some basic functionality you'd expect.
I'm hoping WF8 is better?

Expert
posted Hide Post
7k lines i think came from a 'copy paste'...some code brought from this consultant's previous jobs...and just slapped in without having a clue...bucketload of script what was never referenced anywhere in the page.... zut alors!

Expert
posted Hide Post
Why is the assumption made that all -DEFAULT variables need to be added to an HTML Composer screen. -DEFAULT existed long before HTML Composer came along. A new command should have been created to work hand-in-hand with HTML Composer. Perhaps -DEFAULTH should have been added as THE command to use when the variable needs to be added as an HTML Composer variable, instead of adding -DEFAULTH as the command to avoid them from going into the page.

So, I made the mistake of pointing to a fex that has a -INCLUDE with a bunch of -DEFAULT commands. Now, how do I get rid of them with the GUI? Why isn't there a pont-and-click method to remove them? I fear rebinding my Composer page back to the fex will remove a lot of options painstakingly entered through pointing-and-clicking.

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
Francis,

You're absolutely right. Functionality shouldn't change with the arrival something new.

However. In the beginnen when we didn't use HTML either. I still did not use -DEFAULT because it would fire autoprompt. Unless I switch off "prompt for parameters" which I don't because I need those other parameter in the prompt.

-DEFAULTH doesn't fire autoprompt for that parameter.

When I switch off "prompt for parameters" to get it to work...

But, cut to the chase, I do have some solutions for you, perhaps:
1. Just ignore the fact the HTML-composer tells you about unbound paramters. Your .fex works fine without any data in these parameters. Only bind what you need, ignore the rest.

2. Add a 'fixer'. E.g. If you have the following -DEFAULTs in your fexi:
-DEFAULT &A = 1;
-DEFAULT &B = 52;
-DEFAULT &C = 2012;
-DEFAULT &D = 2013;

Make a fex file: ( fool_the_composer.fex )
-DEFAULTH &A = 0;
-DEFAULTH &B = 0;
-DEFAULTH &C = 0;
-DEFAULTH &D = 0;

and just add the following to the beginning of all your fexi.
-INCLUDE /fool_the_composer.fex

And you can even use the HTML composer to figure out which parameters to add to this fixer. At least you don't need really change you existing fexi.

Hope this helps.

PS>
Come to think of it... what IS the use of -DEFAULT anyway? Why not use -SET ?