Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Joined Field

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Joined Field
 Login/Join

posted
Is there a way to hide a field when creating reporting objects? I have created business views, but the key field shows when I join the tables in the reporting object. I want to hide that key field because it is not necessary for the end user to see.

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

7.6.5, UNIX Server/Windows XP Desktop, PDF

Posts: 3 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: November 19, 2008Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
You can hide a column on a report by right clicking on the column and unchecking the visible flag if that is what you are asking. The column stays on the report but will not be visible to the user.

WebFocus 7703
Windows 7
Output format: HTML, Excel, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I believe what Beth is looking for is the ability for the field to not be available for a user to even use (i.e. does not appear in the field list) as opposed to just not displaying on a report output. In your business views, you canremove the fields that you do not want users to acces, but that, unfortunately, effectively eliminates you from using it in the join as well. There might be some way to do this by modifying the internal procedures that parse the master files and populate the lists of fields, but that's not a very clean or safe solution. I can't think of another easy way to do this off the top of my head.

If your going to use it in the join of the reporting object, it has to be in the master file. If it's in the master file, it's in the field list and the user can see it.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Darin, I think that answers my question. I did not think WebFocus offered such an option, but I thought it prudent to see if anyone else might have a cool solution. I just hate showing duplicate table names just because I need a field for a join.

Thanks

Posts: 3 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: November 19, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Here's how you may be able to accomplish what you require:

- Generate new metadata for the tables you're joining in the Reporting Object (using slightly different file names - with RO and a prefix or suffix for example.

- Create the Reporting Object based on these masters
- Edit the masters and for the fields you don't want the users to see, remove the fieldname, this would result in a line that looks something like this:
FIELDNAME=, ALIAS=Time_Key, USAGE=P9, ACTUAL=P5, $

- Edit the Reporting Object JOIN statement to use the ALIAS instead of the FIELDNAME, the alias is the column name in the dbms table, usually mixed-case. This would result in code that looked something like this:
JOIN
TRANSACTION_DAILY.Time_Key
IN TRANSACTION_DAILY TO MULTIPLE TIME.Time_Key
IN TIME AS J1

I've done a quick test in 7.6.5 and this method seems to work, your results may vary.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Francis. I will give this a try. If it works, I will have a much cleaner Business View to show my users.

Thanks again.
Beth