Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Powerbuilder to WebFOCUS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Powerbuilder to WebFOCUS
 Login/Join

<MikeA>
posted
Hello there!

1st post to this Forum here. I am wondering if anyone here has experience w/ Powerbuilder Data Windows (so that you will know of what I speak).

I am part of a team that will be converting 2,000+ Powerbuilder reports to WebFOCUS. I have tried to convert some of of our reports and have run into some serious problems. The most worrisome (for now) is that the WebFOCUS Report Painter does not seem to allow us to input complex Text & Calculated fields into the summary (page footing?) section of the report in the same way that a Powerbuilder Data Windows allows. Almost all of our current reports have extensive text & calculated fields installed in almost every square inch of these sections. In some of our reports, these summary sections have more data & calculations in them than the detail sections. F.Y.I., I and my co-workers have been to IBI courses 351 & 354 but not to any formal FOCUS language classes. Is this something that would be covered in a FOCUS language class? Is getting a WebFOCUS report painter to behave like a Powerbuilder Data Window impossible & thus we need to rethink our reports?

Sorry for the long post & if this question is too vague. Any assistance anyone in the forum can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, it is not easy at all to insert complex calculated fields into a page footing using Report Painter. It isn't very easy hand-coding it either. You may be able to place them in a page footing, but then spend a lot of them to align them correctly.

What do you mean by "complex text fields"?

By the way, this is the best forum to post your WebFOCUS questions to. It has been an invaluable aid to me for quite a few years.

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Being a long Time Focus Programmer before WebFocus, It has been my experience with new people, that a Focus Language class is a huge plus. For complex things...you will end up in the code.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
<MikeA>
posted
Hi Francis & Prarie22......thanks for your quick responses!

It seems that we will need a FOCUS programming language class. We were hoping to avoid it but right now it seems that the level of complexity present in our current reporting environment precludes us relying solely on WebFOCUS GUI's. I will talk to the project managers. In the meantime, I will procure a FOCUS language book & start there.

BTW, Francis, a "complex text field" is a nonexistant entity that results when a non-techie (me) tries to post to a web forum, execute a database query (in SQL), debug a SQL Stored procedure, and answer the phone at approximately the same time.

Thanks again & Regards.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Mike, a good consultant would be a good investment, to jump start your coding. I've always found that reading someone else's code is a huge leg up for beginners. and a good consultant to write a couple of your jobs would be a huge value. you'll learn so much more, and then have a framework for classes. you're in Boston, so there's an ibi consulting office there, wicked good i hear. and tons of freelancers. Conversion from anything to anything is always frustrating. But you will flat out love this language, espec. if you get a consultant coach.
i like your complex text field, add inhaling lunch to the list. Wink
Add going to the NewEngland Users Group meetings to your list of stuff to do, and going to TechSummit....other developers...lots of help.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post