Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Read Excel into a mainframe FOCEXEC

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Read Excel into a mainframe FOCEXEC
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I'm running Excel 2007 and have an Excel file I'd like to be able to have MAINFRAME FOCUS RELEASE 7.1.1 read in. What format should I save my Excel file in to have MAINFRAME FOCUS easily read, being fully aware I will have to creat a Master file for the MAINFRAME FOCUS program to work? For whatever reason, my old MAINFRAME FOCUS does not seem to like CSV-type files, and so I'm wondering what might be a good file format to use.

Anyone who can drop a hint or idea is most welcome, and thank you in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webmeister,

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Expert
posted Hide Post
Web,

SEARCH on EXCEL ODBC

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
A csv file is a comma-delimited file. What happens if you create a master with SUFFIX=COM.

You could also export the spreadsheet as a tab-delimited file.

Check to see if the mainframe supports either of these file types.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi, Ginny and thank you... I'll try your suggestion. I had tried a master with SUFFIX-COMT, but that had not worked, so I'll try your thoughts.

Tom, thank you also.... not sure I understood your reply; I'm hoping my plight can be resolved with using a proper Master.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
For a one-shot deal, fixed format is simplest.

To make sure no columns get truncated, I change all cells to a fixed font (e.g., Courier new), and then autosize all columns (control-A, ALT+O C A). Then Save As..., selecting "Formatted Text (space delimited)" as the format. That creates a local .TXT file. Determine the column-widths and overall record-length of the .TXT file, and upload it to a dataset with corresponding LRECL. Build your MFD and you should be all set.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Web,

SORRY!! My BAD!! "Mainframe" - it's been since last century!!

j.gross example is the play; we use to SAVE AS prn and FTP to the mainframe, IEBGENER to a GDG file, for history, write a MASTER for the file and away we go.

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
To all who have replied, thank you!

Tom, not a problem; prior to this job, it had been 11 years since I played with mainframe FOCUS, which is why I now ask a lot of questions on this forum - I'm RUSTY!!! In any case, I appreciate your willingness to offer help.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Master
posted Hide Post
A word of warning, EXCEL files uploaded to the mainframe are a pain to work with. Your master may need to get "tweaked" every time you run this. If it is a file created or modified by a user, you will need to watch out for additional columns, resized columns and rearranged columns. If the data can be saved in any other readable format I would recommend it.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
In FOCUS for z/OS 7.1.1 I would consider this process:

1. Create the file in .csv format with Excel on the PC:

Gern ,Blanston,50.2
Steve,Martin,25.4

2. Upload .csv file to z/OS.

3. Read uploaded file with the comma delimiter defined in the Master File:

FILENAME=TESTIT, SUFFIX=DFIX,$
 SEGNAME=ONLYONE,  SEGTYPE=S0,$
  FIELDNAME=FIRSTNAME   , ALIAS=FN          , FORMAT=A20  , ACTUAL=A20
  FIELDNAME=LASTNAME    , ALIAS=LN          , FORMAT=A20  , ACTUAL=A20
  FIELDNAME=SALARY      , ALIAS=SAL         , FORMAT=A10  , ACTUAL=A10
  FIELDNAME=DELIMITER   , ALIAS=','         , FORMAT=A01  , ACTUAL=A01 

Your report, from a TABLE using this MFD, against the uploaded file would look something like this:
DYNAM ALLOC DD TESTIT DS TLA.TESTIT.CSV SHR REUSE
-RUN
TABLE FILE TESTIT
PRINT *
END

FIRSTNAME             LASTNAME              SALARY      DELIMITER
---------             --------              ------      ---------
Gern                  Blanston              50.2        ,
Steve                 Martin                25.4        ,

Pilot: WebFOCUS 8.2.06 Test: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Prod: WebFOCUS 8.1.05M Server: Windows Server 2016/Tomcat Standalone Workstation: Windows 10/IE11+Edge Database: Oracle 12c, Netezza, & MS SQL Server 2019 Output: AHTML/XLSX/HTML/PDF/JSCHART Tools: WFDS, Repository Content, BI Portal Designer & ReportCaster

posted Hide Post
Hey... I had the exact same thing.
The problem is that when you go to read the csv file on the mainframe, it does not honor the csv format as the server does. The way that I got around this was to make sure that you define the column length long enough to include the column titles in the csv file. Once you pull through to the mainframe, you have to use a WHERE clause to exclude the column titles from the data. You then also have to use DEFINE's to get the length/format of the data you want. It is very round about and not very pretty, but it works. I had a case on it out there if you do a search.

Karen Williams
NCFB

1. IWAY Servers accessing DB2, MS SQL Server, Flat files, release 5.3.3 running on MVS/USS and Windows
2. ETL Data Migrator 5.3.3

Posts: 2 | Location: Raleigh NC | Registered: January 03, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you use the DFIX suffix, if it is supported on the mainframe, it uses an access file where you can specify HEADER=NO and delete the header line from the file. It you want to automate that, you could use Dialogue Manager.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hello and one more thank you to all who responded. ctually, I saved my file as a space-delimited text file, checked the length of all data fields, then built a master, and was able to coninue my efforts with this project. My master had a file type of FIX, and using WS-FTP, I uploaded te file to my mainframe.

In other words, a straight-forward text file that is space delimited worked nicely. The only thing I did to my data file was to remove the first column from the data.

Just wanted let you know.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO