Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Customize Prompt for Drill Down Reports

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Customize Prompt for Drill Down Reports
 Login/Join

posted
I'm fairly new to WebFOCUS. I've developed reports in Dev Studio for Managed Reporting that use the default auto prompt for user entered parameters. I've now successfully replaced the default by creating an HTML report launch page for the main report.
What I cannot figure out how to do, is to replace the default auto prompt on a drill down report from the main report. The drill down report also requires an additional user input and I would like to customize the text box used for the prompt, but cannot find how to do this on a drill down report. Does anyone know how to do this?

7.6.4, WINXP
HTML, EXCEL, PDF.

Expert
posted Hide Post
This documentation might help:

WebFOCUS Managed Reporting Developer's Manual > Creating Launch Pages and Publishing Reports > Working With Amper Auto-Prompting

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You are using autoprompting so it is creating a default prompt page for any parameter that is missing. Default means what you see is what you get. There is very little you can do to customize this except for the actual prompt that appears (as described in the reference given by Francis.)

Your approach to this drill-down is not really the methodology intended for use by WF. Usually when you do a drill-down, all the information / parameters necessary have already been supplied and are passed. You may want to gather this information at the initial launch page and just pass it as an additional parameter value that is not displayed on the initial report.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Make the drilldown re-entrant and have your form as part of it.

In this case the fex would be called report1

-DEFAULTH &REPSTEP='GETPARM'
-DEFAULTH &COUNTRY='$*'
-GOTO &REPSTEP.EVAL
-GETPARM
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<html>

<head>
</head>
<body>
<form name="repParms" method="POST" action=/ibi_apps/WFServlet? target="_self">
  <INPUT type=hidden value="Report1" name=IBIF_ex>
  <INPUT type=hidden value="RUNREP" name=REPSTEP>
    <p align="center"><font size="5"><b>Select a Country</b></font><br>
  <br>
  <table border="0" width="100%">
    <tr>
      <td width="50%">
        <p align="right">Year </td>
      <td width="50%">
    <select size="1" name="COUNTRY">
    <option>ENGLAND</option>
    <option>W GERMANY</option>
    <option>FRANCE</option>
    <option>ITALY</option>
    <option>JAPAN</option>
    </select></td>
    </tr><br>
  </table>
  <p align="center"><input type="submit" value="Submit" name="B1"></p>
</form>
</body>
</html>
-HTMLFORM END
-EXIT
-RUNREP
TABLE FILE CAR 
PRINT MODEL
WHERE COUNTRY EQ '&COUNTRY'
END

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
JG, I copied your code as is to see hwo it works. It processes the first pass fine, but clicking submit for the second pass, it cannot find the procedure report1.

7.6.4, WINXP
HTML, EXCEL, PDF.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Did you copy the code into a fex called report1 and did you then run that report1 code?
Because that is what JG is suggesting you to do ... create and run a re-entrant fex.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. When I ran report1, I successfully got the prompt screen, but upon clicking to submit from the prompt screen, I got the error message the focexec report1 could not be found.

7.6.4, WINXP
HTML, EXCEL, PDF.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That probably means that you put the report1 fex in a place that is nota standard part of the server's search path. Either modify the search path, change the place where you put the fex, or add the path info to the report1 fex as an extra hidden field:
<INPUT type=hidden value="IBIAPP_app" name="your_dir_with_report1_in_it">

GamP

in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I was able to get the sample working, and also to substitute my code and get the additional user prompt I wanted for the drill down report. I have one other question if you might know ane easy way to do this. The drill down report also has parameters that are being passed from the main focexec in the normal way. How can I get those parameters read into the first pass and passed forward to the second pass? Right now they are not getting to the second pass so I get an error that the value for the & variable is missing.

7.6.4, WINXP
HTML, EXCEL, PDF.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
First of all, it is quite advisable to have -DEFAULTs in place for incoming parameters. That way you'll never get the error message for unknown variables, and it allows you to run the drill down focexec without having to run the parent process first.

Passing parameter to the drill down procedure is a quite straight forward thing. In the focus style sheet you can specify which parameters to pass and what value they receive. It can be field content or literal values. These latter ones have to be wrapped in single quotes and can be &VARs. Example:
TYPE=DATA,
     COLUMN=&COLNR,
     FOCEXEC=my_app/my_drill_down(KEYFIELD=KEYFIELD PAR1='&PAR1' PAR2='&PAR2'),
     TARGET=report_window,
     WHEN=&COLNR NE 0,
$

Hope this helps ...

GamP

in Focus since 1988

posted Hide Post
This I understand how to do, and it was working ok until I changed the code to this 2 pass recursive version with the htmlform in between, in order to get an additional prompt. My variables that I am passing to the drill down are not making it through to the second pass when I hit the submit button in the form.

In JG's example, if the TABLE FILE executed in the second pass required an additioanl &variable besides &COUNTRY, that was not input by the htmlform in the first pass, but passed from the focexec that originally called report1, how could you pass it through, so that when you click submit, it not only passes &COUNTRY from the form, but the other variable that came from the calling focexec?

7.6.4, WINXP
HTML, EXCEL, PDF.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I've been able to get this recursive method working with my code now, thanks to everyone. The only inconvenience I have is that the code is initially called from a standard report, so I have a copy of the code in my standard report folder in my MR domain. But the second pass through the recursive code, it is looking for the focexec in the apps folder so I need to have a second copy of the code in the apps folder under data servers. Does anyone know what code I could add into the html form to direct it to look in the MR domain and folder for the code during the second pass instead of the apps folder so I can keep only one copy of the code?

7.6.4, WINXP
HTML, EXCEL, PDF.

Expert
posted Hide Post
One method to determine which parameters are required for an MRE call is to "Publish" the fex and then view the generated HMTL form - it will contain all the required parameters.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That worked.

7.6.4, WINXP
HTML, EXCEL, PDF.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Good to know!

Francis