Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Hide Empty columns with PAGE-BREAK

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Hide Empty columns with PAGE-BREAK
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi,

Run the below code,

DEFINE FILE CAR
TEST/I1 MISSING ON = IF COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND' THEN 1 ELSE MISSING;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
TEST
BY COUNTRY PAGE-BREAK
END

Can the Empty column(TEST) be hidden when the column(TEST) has no data?
In the output, i want the column "TEST" to appear only for ENGLAND and not appear in other pages. The output format is PDF.

Thankyou

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7.7.02 on Windows 7
Teradata
HTML,PDF,EXCEL,AHTML

Posts: 165 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You either print or NOPRINT a whole column, but not choose which one depending on a particular record.

You may need to break your request in 2, HOLDing 2 sets of results: with those with a value and those without it. Then you can run 2 reports out of each HOLD (one would include the column, the other wouldn't) and use the compound layout to put them together.

Unless there is some magic in 7.7 that would allow something to happen but it doesn't make sense to me.

Suppose you were not doing a PAGE-BREAK, what would the information flow in your page if you hid a columns for some records and not for others? alignment would be nuts as everything would shift to the left for each record where a column disappears!

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Here's an old trick that might work, depending on your requirements:

DEFINE FILE CAR
 TEST/I1 MISSING ON = IF COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND' OR 'ITALY' THEN 1 ELSE MISSING;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
 SUM
  SALES
  TEST
 BY COUNTRY PAGE-BREAK
 ON TABLE SET STYLE *
  TYPE=REPORT, COLUMN=TEST, COLOR=WHITE, WHEN=TEST EQ 0, $
 ENDSTYLE
 ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
END

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You could also control the column titles your self.

DEFINE FILE CAR
TEST/I1 MISSING ON = IF COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND' THEN 1 ELSE MISSING;
HEADTEST/A4 = IF COUNTRY EQ 'ENGLAND' THEN 'TEST' ELSE ' ';
END
TABLE FILE CAR
HEADING
"COUNTRY<+0>SALES<+0><HEADTEST"
SUM
SALES    AS ''
TEST     AS ''
BY COUNTRY PAGE-BREAK   AS ''
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=HEADING, HEADALIGN=BODY, $
ENDSTYLE
END

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Two more thoughts:

1) Add SET NODATA = ''
2) Keep in mind that the text can still be seen when the ol' "color=white" trick is used.

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
What about the new set command:
SET HIDENULLACRS=ON
it is supposed to suppress the column on the sort groups where it is all null. I haven't had a change to try it yet. Is it just for 7.7.03?

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

The "COLOR=WHITE" cannot be used in the report, as the numbers of columns displayed is dynamic based on the user's selection. The last 3 columns in my report are static showing the Row totals.

Selph,
SET HIDENULLACRS=ON works well for the ACROSS report. However, i need to display some columns with really long titles after the ACROSS columns. Since the across values and the normal column titles do NOT appear horziontally on a single line, i converted ACROSS into columns and displayind them.

The HIDENULLACRS=ON will do the job if the report does not have any other columns to be displayed after the Across columns.

I think i will have to wait for HIDENULL=ON

WF 7.7.02 on Windows 7
Teradata
HTML,PDF,EXCEL,AHTML

Posts: 165 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
SET HIDENULLACRS=ON

works great - but only with ACROSS not with BY fields.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post