Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Ajax + WebFOCUS Example

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Ajax + WebFOCUS Example
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all
I developed this example using the language of WebFOCUS and AJAX using Table CAR. In my opinion Ajax and WebFOCUS it is great marriage and he goes to provide great easiness in the development of applications complex. This is only one example, does not use way of exhibition of the graph in production environment not to
compromise the performance of the same.
Download wfajax.zip
I am available for any doubts.
Finishing, my English is bad forgives me.
Ricardo Rosário
msn: rosarioricardo@yahoo.com.br

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Web Focus Developer

WF 5.xLinux/,winxp,win2003
WF 7.x Linux,winxp,win2008
WF 8.x , win

Posts: 12 | Location: Brazil | Registered: December 09, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Ricardo,
Thanks for your Ajax files.
i want to know where i will use this Ajax and what's the use of using this Ajax in WebFOCUS files.
is there any Performance issues.
give me a clear idea about this Ajax,where i will get the Documents forthis Ajax..
i want to learn this give me a Good Sugesstion.

Thanks,
Kalyan.S.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kalyanswarna,

Thanks,
Kalyan.S
------------------------------------
WebFOCUS 7.1.4, Win XP SP2,
Oracle8i.

Posts: 155 | Location: Bangalore. | Registered: January 24, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Ricardo, translate the words on the launch page for us, would you please? and tell us what is supposed to happen? I get nada.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<Tim Howard_ABCBS>
posted
I've used ajax before to create more responsive html launch pages. For instance, I've got one screen where users can enter a group number as a parm and I'm able to populate the screen with the group name and description for confirmation purposes without reloading the page or calling another focexec to create another html page.

The main purpose of ajax is to allow you to retrieve server side information (normally xml) in javascript code and make dynamic changes to your html. Given that the java servlet is a server side call that can be setup to return xml, it is idea for using in ajax.

I created a javascript function where you pass it the app folder, the focexec to call, any parameters needed to run the focexec and the javascript function name you want to handle the return. So once I pass it the parms I need, all the javascript I need is the javascript used to update the screen with the returned xml.

I'd be glad to share it if anyones interested.

Report This Post
<RickW>
posted
Tim - that sounds way cool - I'd totally be interested. THANKS!

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tim,

i would like to know about this Ajax,what's the use this in WebFOCUS and where did i get the information about this .

Thanks,
Kalyan.S

Thanks,
Kalyan.S
WebFOCUS 7.1.4, Win XP SP2,
Oracle8i.

Posts: 155 | Location: Bangalore. | Registered: January 24, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
AJAX is Asynchronous Javascript and XML.
To simplify you use javascript(/Jscript) to make a server call which returns a XMLHttpRequest object. This happens in the background.

In general one problem with AJAX is that user makes a request, but he will not know what is happening or how long it will take to return your data(Because of background processing). As developer you have to use other mechanisms to make this understandable to user.
Another big danger though is with the term "Asynchronous". You need to be careful when you make AJAX requests which you expect to behave in certain sequence but may not happen that way.

But the good thing is as Tim stated you could use it in webfocus which increases your options for some critical cases.

To give an additional idea one of cases we have a heavy selection screen with lots of hierarchies. When one of the options in a hierarchy changes our requirement is to change the further options in that hierarchy(But the remaining hirerachies no data changes). It is too time consuming to reload the entire screen again running a procedure (Due to the hierarchies and data associated). So we use the AJAX to just update the current hierarchy.

Posts: 38 | Location: India | Registered: May 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
kalyanswarna

First paradigm to be broken is see that the Webfocus can be used
as a Framework of development( like ASP,PHP,etc). I use for everything and am very satisfied here.
You can use the Ajax to assist in the development of filters
(ex you to need to locate a customer between 3000, is impracticable the use of
dropdown or List a its saida research on the part of the name as in the example
webfocus+ajax). Ajax exists many possibilities of the use(report,filters,selfservices applications),
one looked at in the URLs below.

My Bookmark

Info
http://dhtmlnirvana.com/ajax/ajax_tutorial/
http://www.ajaxmatters.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX

Framework Ajax

http://www.backbase.com/start/
http://www.bindows.com.br
This framework was used for the IBI to develop the Power to painter (Hollywood Project)

Examples
http://www.clearnova.com/ajax/
http://searchvb.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid8_gci1146961,00.html

Books
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1932394613/digitalsanctcomb
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596102259/digitalsanctcomb

============================================================
susannah

english version
http://www.rthree.com.br/baseapp.rar
execute teste.fex or teste1.fex u receive no data ?

Tim
i am very interested.

venu
good explanation

Web Focus Developer

WF 5.xLinux/,winxp,win2003
WF 7.x Linux,winxp,win2008
WF 8.x , win

Posts: 12 | Location: Brazil | Registered: December 09, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
For those that care, ajax has been part of WebFOCUS since 5.3 (and maybe sooner then that). If you have built a html page through layout painter with multiple drop down boxes that are chainged together ... then you have used ajax.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
<Tim Howard_ABCBS>
posted
You'll also notice that as of version 7, if you use the html layout painter to create your html it no longer uses forms to send your request. I would imagine they are using the XMLHttpRequest (AJAX) to run the reports and populate the IFRAME (or where ever you specify to return it to).

RickW, if you'll send me an email address I'll forward you my javascript code. I've also got some sample code I built using the CAR db.

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone,
I want to thank everyone on this, I was able to download the sample and implement it on a 200k row table and it populates my search so fast..
this is so awesome

-P

Sandbox: 8206.10
Dev: 8201M
Prod:8009

Posts: 289 | Location: Houston,TX | Registered: June 11, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Tim,
Please send me any more examples using AJAX and those JS files that might be useful.
pvuppala@bstek.net

Thank you
-P

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I was trying this example to work, but it's getting problem with graph format PNG. Throws following exception
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN GRAPH= 3036 PLOT POINTS= 44
(FOC36276) FORMAT NOT SUPPORTED.
What setting should I turned on my WebFocus to get work PNG format since PNG format never work for me. I have to always use JPEG or GIF format only.

Appericate your help if somebody knows this.
Thanks.

WF 7.6.2/ OS WIN2003.
DM 7.6.2

Posts: 103 | Registered: September 08, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
The link doesnt work anymore.. Anyone else has it saved?

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hello,
i am also very interested!! Can someone send me the file, as vaayu posted the link does not work anymore!!

Christian

WF Production Version: 7.7.02M
WF Test Version: 7.7.02M
Developer Studio: 7.7.02
HTML, EXL2K, FLEX, PDF,PPT

Posts: 156 | Location: Essen Germany | Registered: December 02, 2010Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I am interested in trying this as well. But all the links are broken Frowner Anyone have the files or new links??

Thanks,
Prince

Webfocus 8, All Outputs

Posts: 47 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 09, 2011Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
The files not available in your link please send me files or give correct link

Webfocus AppStudio 8201
Windows