Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] cumulative across

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] cumulative across
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi all,

I'm currently working on a report that showed how many students we had graduate by academic period. I was able to create this report without any issue but I then got the question from a user if I could also produce this report that would show the cumulative values, not just the single values for that academic period.

In other words, they want to go from this:

Fall 2010 | Fall 2011 | Fall 2012
15 | 20 | 10

To this:

Fall 2010 | Fall 2011 | Fall 2012
15 | 35 | 45

Is there any way to do this using WebFocus? Any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated.

-Egon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFocus App Studio 8.1.0.5, Windows 7 64bit.

Posts: 65 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: March 06, 2014Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You can do this with the LAST command.

e.g.
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM CNT.BODYTYPE
COMPUTE ACC_CNT/I9 = IF COUNTRY NE LAST COUNTRY THEN CNT.BODYTYPE ELSE CNT.BODYTYPE + LAST ACC_CNT ;
BY COUNTRY
ACROSS SEATS
END

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Brilliant! Thank you!

Posts: 65 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: March 06, 2014Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I have a follow up question. I've expended on the model above which works perfectly for the individual rows but I have now expended the report to have two BY columns. I am doing a subtotal on the first BY column and when I do that the recompute seems to continue on adding instead of starting over for that particular row. Any suggestions?

SUM 
     CNT.COMPLETIONS.COMPLETI.PERSON_UID AS 'Term Completers'
     COMPUTE COMP_CNT/I9 = IF ( J6.TESTODS_PERSON_SENSITIVE_RACE_SLOT.REPORTED_RACE NE LAST J6.TESTODS_PERSON_SENSITIVE_RACE_SLOT.REPORTED_RACE ) 
     AND ( COMPLETIONS.COMPLETI.Sport NE LAST COMPLETIONS.COMPLETI.Sport ) THEN CNT.COMPLETIONS.COMPLETI.PERSON_UID 
     ELSE CNT.COMPLETIONS.COMPLETI.PERSON_UID + LAST COMP_CNT; AS 'Cumulative Completers'
BY  COMPLETIONS.COMPLETI.Sport
BY  J6.TESTODS_PERSON_SENSITIVE_RACE_SLOT.REPORTED_RACE AS 'Race/Ethnicity'
ACROSS LOWEST COMPLETIONS.COMPLETI.ACADEMIC_PERIOD_GRAD AS 'Graduation Term'

ON COMPLETIONS.COMPLETI.Sport RECOMPUTE
     'COMPLETIONS.COMPLETI.PERSON_UID'
     COMP_CNT AS '*TOTAL'  

Expert
posted Hide Post
Are you able to replicate this in one of the sample files like the CAR file ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Waz,
Your solution works well when you sort by COUNTRY only. If you sort by CAR also you will have MISSING problems.
I came up with this:

SET ASNAMES = ON
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM CNT.BODYTYPE
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY SEATS AS SEATS ROWS 2 OVER 4 OVER 5
ON TABLE HOLD AS WW MISSING OFF
END

TABLE FILE WW
SUM
COMPUTE ACC_CNT/I9 = IF COUNTRY NE LAST COUNTRY THEN BODYTYPE ELSE IF CAR NE LAST CAR THEN BODYTYPE ELSE BODYTYPE + LAST ACC_CNT ;
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
ACROSS SEATS
ON COUNTRY SUBTOTAL
END

What do you say?

Egon,
It seems to me that SUBTOTAL is what you want, not RECOMPUTE.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the help. Danny I tried your solution and played around with it but it seems that you have to specify the columns.

Due to the parameter driven nature of this particular report the number of columns in the across is dynamic.

Is there a way to use your solution with a dynamic number of across columns?

Thank you!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Egon,
Try this:

-* File egon01.fex
SET ASNAMES = ON, HOLDLIST=PRINTONLY
TABLE FILE CAR
BY SEATS
ON TABLE HOLD AS SNUM
END
-RUN 
-SET &S=&LINES;
-SET &O=' ';
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM CNT.BODYTYPE
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY SEATS AS SEATS ROWS 
-REPEAT #GETSEATS FOR &I FROM 1 TO &S;
-READFILE SNUM
&O &SEATS
-SET &O='OVER';
-#GETSEATS
END
-RUN
TABLE FILE WW
SUM
COMPUTE ACC_CNT/I9 = IF COUNTRY NE LAST COUNTRY THEN BODYTYPE ELSE IF CAR NE LAST CAR THEN BODYTYPE ELSE BODYTYPE + LAST ACC_CNT ;
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
ACROSS SEATS
ON COUNTRY SUBTOTAL
END

Daniel
In Focus since 1982

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Danny,

This seems to go a little bit over my head, although I'm understanding the basic concepts. I've only been using webfocus for a month now.

When I take this code and run it it's asking for an input for "seats", why is it doing that?

I'm going to work all day Monday on getting this converted into my own data and see if it works.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Egon,
I don't know why you get a prompt fo SEATS. I don't. Could you post the output you get?
As for explaining the concepts behind my code, i'm afraid it is a bit long to write out, but if you want we can have a conversation via Skype.
Good luck for Monday!

Daniel
In Focus since 1982

Master
posted Hide Post
If Egon has been using WF for only a month I'm impressed with his progress so far. So I understand his difficulty with Danny's solution, which involves writing to a file and then reading that file back one line at a time via a loop (can you see that Egon?).

I'm not going to suggest any solution, but rather the approach to the problem that I would take: Since the problem is that the columns are dynamic, why not do an initial process that selects the column data, and does an initial sort on the two BY fields.

If a subtotal is required on the first BY field, do a DEFINE that creates a copy field of the number of graduates and use that in a multi-verb request so that it holds the cumulative value required.

eg:
DEFINE FILE CAR
SEATS_2/I4=SEATS;
END

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SEATS_2
BY CAR
SUM SEATS 
BY CAR 
BY MODEL
END

HOLD that info and then use WAZ's solution for the cumulative values.

We use Waz's technique extensively - but admittedly on static columns.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Egon,
Here is an annotated version:

-* File egon01.fex
-* set parameters ASNAMES to change field names; HOLDLIST to hold only explicit fields
SET ASNAMES = ON, HOLDLIST=PRINTONLY
-* Get all values of SEATS and save them in file SNUM
TABLE FILE CAR
BY SEATS
ON TABLE HOLD AS SNUM
END
-RUN
-* save the number of SEATS 
-SET &S=&LINES;
-* initialize variable &O to blank
-SET &O=' ';
-* extract the data. sort by seats. use the ROW option to ensure all values of SEATS are in the WW file. 
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM CNT.BODYTYPE
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
-* the ROWS option deletes the BY fieldname in the HOLD file - ancient bug. the AS renames the fieldname - ancient workaround.
BY SEATS AS SEATS ROWS 
-* use a REPEAT loop to insert all values of SEATS in the ROWS option
-REPEAT #GETSEATS FOR &I FROM 1 TO &S;
-* the READFILE command reads the SNUM HOLD file and populates the &SEATS variable
-READFILE SNUM
-* between each value of SEATS insert an OVER. the variable &O has an initial value ' ' then it wiil be OVER
&O &SEATS
-SET &O='OVER';
-#GETSEATS
-* use MISSING OFF to replace . with 0 in the HOLD file
END
-RUN
-* the final report
TABLE FILE WW
SUM
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
ACROSS SEATS
ON COUNTRY SUBTOTAL
END

Daniel
In Focus since 1982

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you Danny for the annotated version. Very helpful.

George, I will have to take a look at your suggestion later this week.

Danny, I've attached the image below of what I receive when I run the report. Please note that regardless of what I enter for SEATS I get the correct output.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Egon,

I would hazard a guess that the reason you get prompted and Danny does not is that you have amper auto prompting set (either for the BIP procedure or on the server).

The simple solution is to prevent the auto prompt from occurring, so use a defaulted value that will not cause an auto prompt via -
-DEFAULTH &SEATS = 0

The H at the end of DEFAULT is important as otherwise it will still cause a prompt.

Good luck

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tony, that solved the prompt issue! Thank you!

Now that I have the sample fully working I will incorporate it into my own report and see if I can get it working, I'll report back soon!

Thank you all!

Egon