Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Several Q's About Reporting Objects

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Several Q's About Reporting Objects
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Hi all,

I have a number of issues that I can't seem to get to the bottom of by merely using the "search" function, so hopefully some good samaritan here can be of assistance.

- is there documentation on the syntax of a reporting object? i can find lots about Managed Reporting CONCEPTS and using the GUI, but i need some documentation geared towards coding the reporting object fex file.

- is there a way to require a user, in Report Assist/Graph Assist, to include a certain field in their WHERE clause, but allow them to change the value of that field? Even if this where clause just appeared as an editable "default" where clause, that would do.

- is there a way to restrict a user from being able to display a column (in the field selection tab), but still allow them to filter by it (in the Selection Criteria tab)? we have some tables with columns that are required inputs (need to be in the WHERE clause) but are not selectable (the data source will return an error if they are included in the SELECT statement).

- is it possible to do SQL Passthrough with a reporting object?

more details if necessary:
my situation: I need about a hundred reporting objects for use in Report Assist and Graph Assist. i need to generate them based on about a hundred different tables at a data source. However, the data source has a lot of rules and restrictions on the tables. For example, some tables require one and only one input parameter, some require one of say three inputs to specified, some require multiple inputs. some tables have fields that are non-selectable, but are required to be in the WHERE clause.

If I just give the users unfettered reporting objects based on these tables, the users have no hope of satisfying the requirements for a given table except by blind luck. they're going to get error messages from the data source on 90% of their attempts at generating a report from Report Assist/Graph Assist, and conclude that it's broken.

All of the rules for these tables are in an XML file which i can process. using the XML file to create these reporting objects is not a problem ... knowing what these reporting objects need to look like is. these reporting objects need to be generated programmatically -- the data source tables and their associated rules change often.

---------------------
WebFOCUS 7.6

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
oh, one more thing: this is on WebFOCUS 5.3.5, although we will be moving to 7.x eventually.

---------------------
WebFOCUS 7.6

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Dan,

in order;
1. Use Dev Studio, or MRE Applet to devlop your Objects...It creates the syntax it needs. Download all of the MR manuals form IBI Documentation. Familiarize yourself with these.

2. Yes, Embed the &var in the Where sectio of the object...make sure Parameter Prompting is ON, users will be prompted for a value, but will not be able to remove the WHERE clause.

3. Simply, No...although some of the dba/mastere file things may assist with this. Bring your inouts in as &vars and imbed them in the WHERE section of the tool. This section is not editable by the users (depending on user type).

4. Yes, but not dynamically. You can do SQL passthrough inthe OTHER section, but it has to be "canned" or &var based SQL. (Not user selectable)

Other - Report Assistant is entirely based (to the user) on MFD's. You are somewhat limited by what a Master File Description can and cannot do. You may find that creating views in your SQL system, tham creating the synonyms based on those views in the most effective way of handling a complicated structure.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

WF 7.6.10 / WIN-AIX

Posts: 141 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 09, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Dan,

BTW, if you contiue down the Report Assistant Path, make sure you make use of field DESCRIPTIONS in your masters...Well documented masters, set to properly display in RA/GA, will help your users navigate the "maze".

Kevin

WF 7.6.10 / WIN-AIX

Posts: 141 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 09, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
thanks, that's very helpful.

---------------------
WebFOCUS 7.6