Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Observations on PDF Layout Painter

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Observations on PDF Layout Painter
 Login/Join

Master
posted
1. When displayed in AA get number out of range
increase size of box for report

2. Use left top margin of 0 and nolead to top left align report elements.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
1. Does not co-ordinate paper size for sub reports have to define explicitly.

2. Code as make changes test and then save so you always have a working version to return to.

3. You get error message "There is an error on page it has to be fixed before continue" when there is an error in code and you try to switch to design tab. Try running to see if that produces more explicit line number and message.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
1. pdf painter defaults to ariel even though it is not a default pdf font!

PDType1Font.TIMES_ROMAN
PDType1Font.TIMES_BOLD
PDType1Font.TIMES_ITALIC
PDType1Font.TIMES_BOLD_ITALIC
PDType1Font.HELVETICA
PDType1Font.HELVETICA_BOLD
PDType1Font.HELVETICA_OBLIQUE
PDType1Font.HELVETICA_BOLD_OBLIQUE
PDType1Font.COURIER
PDType1Font.COURIER_BOLD
PDType1Font.COURIER_OBLIQUE
PDType1Font.COURIER_BOLD_OBLIQUE
PDType1Font.SYMBOL
PDType1Font.ZAPF_DINGBATS

http://www.pdfbox.org/userguide/fonts.html

Not sure what happens here...

Master
posted Hide Post
Also helvetica not listed and I assume times is times new roman etc.

Can anyone clarify?

Master
posted Hide Post
(FOC3209) UNKNOWN KEYWORD IN STYLESHEET FILE AT LINE 23: 2
(FOC3209) UNKNOWN KEYWORD IN STYLESHEET FILE AT LINE 23: 2
(FOC3296) Error found in Coordinated Compound Report: At Component report1
Compound Report is TERMINATING.....

NB does not refer to stylesheet in report1 problem but within the COMPOUND LAYOUT ... END
instructions.

No line numbers mean you have to count but you can use a comment to eliminate that line only.

Returning to design eliminates comments without warning.

The layout language is not documented and sometimes it is just best to start over.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammo1j,

Master
posted Hide Post
Some problems occur because painter does not uniquify the item name. If 2 have same name one will not display.

Master
posted Hide Post
More stuff:

1. Can't select text with cursor must use mouse.
2. The language seems to include both PDF and HTML/CSS elements. Your text gets duplicated why?
3. If you want to position a piece of text exactly always give it its own box.
4. Can't insert new item unless the cursor is on the base paper.
5. Does not always scroll when moving object down past viewable screen - needs 2 moves.
4. Does not paste anywhere near cursor.
5. When item in painter does not appear in text view, it is time to use text view to create it.
This seems to happen with reports.
6. Sometimes painter will not move object but you can do it by manually adjusting properties.
7. When cursor starts to tremble you will have to exit ds and go back to a saved copy that works - there is no way around this.

Master
posted Hide Post
Conclusion

PDF Painter is a great idea about 60% implemented which requires a great deal of patience and ingenuity to produce results. If you lack these qualities then I would steer clear of it for the time being and hope that the next release (8.1?) contains a quantum leap in usability.

We dont really require MS 100 Programmer working on it GUI standard but the standard currently leaves a lot to be desired. That said I did produce a working report at the end of the day.

Expert
posted Hide Post
I couldn't tell if you were doing this or not, but I recommend that you write your report focexecs separately, test them, and then 'reference' them in the PDF painter fex.

Also the 762 version had some bugs with positioning, especially graphs, which were corrected in 765.

But mostly I agree with you.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Another problem - you cannot edit output from the pdf layout painter within the normal webfocus editor.

The webfocus editor will take any line in an input file that is over 2048 characters long and insert a cr lf sequence so that it is displayable over 2 lines. Unfortunately the verbose output of PLP is often over this limit and when you save the changed file it will no longer work even though you thought you made the simplest of changes!

Workaround: use another editor apart from ds to edit PLP output manually.

In addition ds strips trailing blanks so it should not be used to EDIT files other than .fex es though it can be used to VIEW many files.

Master
posted Hide Post
Another problem:

When using the saved parameter option on MRE sections of the page corresponding to a report do not appear to be created.

This is due to the mre .FEX being

-INCLUDE domain/fexname

rather than running directly.

I cannot determine the cause which I thought was the 2048 character limit being applied by -INCLUDE, but I managed to successfully break a line of the syntax by splitting at the METADATA tag and reduced the maximum line length to 1400 rather than 2400 characters.

Anyone got any ideas?

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammo1j:
Conclusion

PDF Painter is a great idea about 60% implemented which requires a great deal of patience and ingenuity to produce results. If you lack these qualities then I would steer clear of it for the time being and hope that the next release (8.1?) contains a quantum leap in usability.

We dont really require MS 100 Programmer working on it GUI standard but the standard currently leaves a lot to be desired. That said I did produce a working report at the end of the day.

i consider myself quite patient and competant but actually gave up on using it- i simply couldn't get it to stop crashing or do anything i wanted it to so i would probably do what Ginny suggested - im surprised it was released in its current state to be honest...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am working with the PDF Layout Painter in v7.6.4 for the very first time. I was reading this thread earlier looking for info on the error:
(FOC3296) Error found in Coordinated Compound Report: At Component report2
(FOC3303) Compound report COMPONENT out of order

Just wanted to pass along that my error was due to my having two reports in the compound report that had the same label (from a "-GOTO" statement). Once I made the labels unique in the two reports, my error went away.

Posts: 4 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: August 07, 2007Report This Post