Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solved]Installing WF8 Client with the Repository on a MS SQL Server instead of Derby

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved]Installing WF8 Client with the Repository on a MS SQL Server instead of Derby
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

I have a WF8 Server and try to install the Client part on it but want the Repository to be placed on an existing MS SQL Server instead of the Derby Database provided by IBI.
Shouldn't be that hard, but I always get a pretty generic connection error after configuring the Database and I can't figure out what's wrong. Hopefully, someone here has done this and can point me in the right direction.

I created an empty Database on a separate Instance of SQL Server 2012 Enterprise, running on a fixed port. I created a windows user for this, gave it db_owner rights (and even made it sysadmin on that instance by now). I can telnet the port from the WF Server, the user can fully access the database via SQL Server Management Studio. So it shouldn't be the Database or the user rights.

I have installed the MS SQL JDBC Driver pack 4.1 on the WF8 Server. During setup I selected SQL Server 2012 as the database and plugged in the data on the database configuration page. I left the field JDBC Driver as it was (com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver) and used sqljdbc41.jar in the JDBC path, but tried sqljdbc4 and sqljdbc as well. When I continue, I get the error "Database connectivity failed, Please ensure that your database is running and the correct values were entered for the database".

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong here?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kai Peters,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
There is probably a log file in your home-directory that details what went wrong when the install tried to connect to the DB.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue during my install, but I also had other issues too with my install of 8.1.3. Right now I have everything running with a SQL 2008 repository, but I am running with sqljdbc4.jar.

I will change up and see if I can run against a SQL 2012 and let you know what I come up with.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to connect to a native MS SQL data base, or a named instance. If it is native (jdbc:sqlserver://serverNameRazzerort) then you shouldn't have any problem. If you are connecting to a named instance (jdbc:sqlserver://serverName\instanceName), then you may have to do it in multiple steps. For named instances, I install with derby then configure MS SQL after, then finally uninstall derby. If this is the case, then open a problem ticket to get the instructions.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
dhagen - I never thought about that approach for named instances. I have always had a problem with doing an install with named instances, so I always went back to my DBA's asking not to do that.

I am now connected to a 2012 SQL database. I updated it in my admin console and bounced my client. I am using the 4.0 jar and not the 4.1.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Kai,

do you have your REPOSITORY_DATABASE_NAME=webfocus as such not 'WebFOCUS80' for Derby.?

Believe, you have sqljdbc4.jar in the WF client machine itself.

Also, it's advisable to check ibi\WebFOCUS80\config\webconfig.xml file, the changes applied or not

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x

Posts: 406 | Location: India | Registered: June 13, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch, I got it to work by now. I switched to a separate SQL Server installation (standard instance) and ditched the named instance approach.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs