Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Reporting Objects Question

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Reporting Objects Question
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Is there a way when creating reporting objects to join a file to a defined field in another file.

The reason I ask is because one of the files we use has a field which contains 234 characters and each set of strings represents something. Like characters 1-30 is a last name, 31-35 is an ID of sorts, ect.

Eric

dev: WF 7.6.5 w/IIS + Tomcat

prod: WF 7.6.5 w/IIS + Tomcat

Posts: 153 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: February 24, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
.eric, didja just try? you'ld set it up exactly the same way you would in any fex.
you set up the USE statements for both files in the OTHER section, and set up the JOINs in the JOIN section making sure to use a JOIN definedfieldname WITH realfieldname, and the DEFINES in the DEFINE section...

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The way I initally set it up was I added defines to the files in the OTHER section and then joined the defined fields to the real fields in the JOIN tool.

Then when I go into report assistant it errors out saying something of the likes of it cannot find the linked field name.

It seems like I have to write the defines in the OTHER section because the DEFINE section is all the joined files, and the file I need to add the define to is not listed because it's not joined yet.

Do I still have to set up USE statements if I'm using as400 files and not FOCUS files? I've only used the USE statements when I'm appending data to a FOCUS file.

Eric

Posts: 153 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: February 24, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
JOINs clear DEFINEs.
Put the defines in the define section
For joins using defined fields, use the WITH syntax in the join.
No you dont' have to use USE for db2 on iseries, but you didn't say that. we assumeyou're using focus files unless you say otherwise.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I think the problem I was having is the defined field is not on the main JOIN file.

The main join file were using is a sales history table which contains basically a customer code, I have to link that real field to another file which I need to create the define field to obtain that customers description (name, ect).

In the DEFINE section it will only let me DEFINE fields on the sales history table.

eric

Expert
posted Hide Post
when you've created a reporting object, LOOK at it. actually LOOK at the fex that gets written by all the OTHER and JOIN and DEFINE sections.
go to the server and the basedir and actually open it and read it. you don't have to use the GUI to write it, you can edit each section and put in whatever you need.
if you're reading db2 files, you can JOIN FIELDA AND FIELDB IN HOST TO FIELDA AND FIELDB IN GUEST AS WHATEVER
You may not need defines at all, as long as the fields in each file are keyed.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The fields I am joining to are not keyed, which would make sense considering the error I'm getting now is "LINKED FILE DOES NOT HAVE A MATCHING KEY FIELD OR SEGMENT".

Ughh...I may just have to figure out another way to do this. Thanks for the help though.