Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     DDLIST with 1 value causes browser(ie) to explode

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
DDLIST with 1 value causes browser(ie) to explode
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
works fine in firefox
ANY ddlist, whether simple or compound or complex, with only 1 value (nope i can't use the 'all') causes the entire browser (ie) to die if the user clicks on it.
highly dangerous when there's just month 1 of a fiscal year, say.
TABLE FILE CAR
BY COUNTRY
IF COUNTRY IS 'ENGLAND'

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END
..then any launch page ref'ing it.
..anybody willing to try for me?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm trying.

I created the fex and then attempted to create the HTML launch page. I just don't know how people use the GUI to create a form - it's bl00dy annoying - all that pointing and clicking to fill out info. Pretty soon the young ones will not know hoe to use a keyboard.

In any case, with even the most basic html page - ONE list box to be populated dynamically by a procedure, I get a JS error on line 5973 and nothing happens.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
we're thinking now that major XP SP3+ will fix this issue...so we're mid update now...
stay tuned

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
S, is that JS error one of the errors you're getting?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Susannah,

In your fex, do you have to provide 2 columns? I don't have any problem with single value dd. Try gui Wink Francis.

Hua

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Posts: 305 | Location: Winnipeg,MB | Registered: May 12, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hua,

I get the JS error with a html launch page created using the GUI.

One of the many things I don't understand about the GUI: I added a select-list to the page. The Control Name is COUNTRY. The Parameter is "Unassigned" - how do I assign a Parameter, there's only one option "Unassigned" in the drop-down list.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
You need to drive the controls from a submit button. Put a button on the form, right-click and choose hyperlink properties. Pick your fex, choose to create or not create a form (I choose no) then all of your controls are put on the page and are assigned to variables.

I think in 7.6.9 or .10, you can put unaccompanied controls on the page.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
no francesco, its not a js error.
its a browser crash.
ie just explodes and dies.
we just tried it on a clean windows xp sp3 with all 3 levels of upgrades and it works fine.
so i'm upgrading my desktop now...
stay tuned...

Expert
posted Hide Post
Sheesh, Ginny!

Thanks very much for the explanation to this gui-newbie!

I keep forgetting the steps, will try again.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Added a form
Selected a fex to run
Selected list box as control for the one parameter
Selected dynamic procedure

ran the html page
got the the same JS error

back to the drawing board

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis,

I still believe that Susannah's xml file has only one column, where the dd box requires a pair of display/return values. IE appeared hung, but when I add a line PRINT COUNTRY and was OK like any other dd.

BTW, I am not an expert on gui, it is the only way I know how to create html file. One day I will learn the jarva, maybe during the slow season for developers or perhaps in the era of empty nest?
Hua

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Expert
posted Hide Post
francesco, i'll email you the fex, the ddlist, and the launch page.
make an app called xsusantest and throw it all in there.

Expert
posted Hide Post
S,

Hua is correct, your fex should always provide two values for the build of a form control.

The JavasScript function(s) look for the values within C0 and C1 from the resultant XML file, therefore your code should look like -
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM FST.COUNTRY
BY COUNTRY
IF COUNTRY IS 'ENGLAND'
END
to be absolutely sure that what you are experiencing is an IBI problem.

That doesn't explain why it works OK in Firefox but not IE although it would be a suggestion to eradicate it as a possible cause before hitting the giant head with it.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
where the dd box requires a pair of display/return values

Are we sure about this? Why does the Dev Studio GUI HTML Layout Painter Control Parameter Pane have a "Send display value" checkbox option? Does this mean two values must always be returned, but the checkbox setting passes only the value or both the value and the display value?

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hurrah!

Having two values returned by the fex eradicates the JavaScript error. Which means I must have been running into the same problem as Susannah, expect her server was hanging and mine was returning a JS error. I am testing on Win XP v2002 SP2.

THANK YOU!

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
grazie Francesco...
now, can you report that to CSS so they'll pay attn to my case?
molto grazie

(my server wasn't hanging...my browser was exploding. actually.)

Expert
posted Hide Post
it does have 2
TABLE FILE CAR
BY COUNTRY
IF COUNTRY IS 'ENGLAND'

END
both the C0 and the C1 show up fine.
the xml is fine
its the reveal of only one value that blows up ie

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:
where the dd box requires a pair of display/return values

The credit goes to dhagen. By default the display value is the same as the return value, but they can be different. Darryl showed me that I can display October 29, 2009 to the users and return 1091029 to my fex. The internal date format is immediately availabe to the fex bypassing all the (awkward) date conversion commands.
When the "return display value" box is checked, it would be wysiwyg.

Thanks.

Hua

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Expert
posted Hide Post
That part I know. It's the dynamic procedure I'm questioning,. It appears you have to return two values regardless of the checkbox.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
This is the doc:
quote:
Customizing Dynamic Parameters
You have the option to allow customized retrieval of dynamic parameter values. By using a
custom procedure, you can use the FOCUS language to utilize temporary HOLD files, filtering,
etc. This allows the HTML Layout Painter to better integrate with a multitude of large and/or
proprietary data sources that may require unique retrieval methods. The procedure must
meet the following criteria:
The procedure must return a name and value pair for each parameter value that will
populate the list. The first value is the submission value which is passed to the form
control when you click the Submit button. The second value is the display value which is
what you will see in the control. These two values can be the same or different.
The procedure must return the two data values on a single data line in XML format
(PCHOLD FORMAT XML).

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
but we know all that...we have a paired string
c0 and c1
you can change the ddlist fex anyway you wish
the point is that when the dimension only has 1 value (ie 'England'), the browswer bombs when you click on that dd box.
i've just had a 2nd remote assist session with ibi onthis. they turned on Fiddler, to no avail, b/c the browser dies, so there is not much to 'Fiddle' with...
They will try to repro in house.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah, strange - it works for me on SP2...

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
it works for some people here, blows up for others. we're trying to find another person with a blow up so we can get another case opened so we can get ibi to help.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Good Luck!

Francis