Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] ReportCaster/WebFocus Log files

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] ReportCaster/WebFocus Log files
 Login/Join

posted
My ReportCaster job will be running for several hours to create thousands of reports within a text, xml and excel files. I would like to see the progress of run by looking some log files.
Is there any log files created by reportcaster or webfocus procedures? Where to find those log files?(location and file names please) and how to write our custom text in those log files from webfocus reports?
As always, appreciate very much your help.

Thanks,
vaidya

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 7.6.10
UNIX, WINDOWS
PDF, HTML, Text

Posts: 15 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: May 05, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
In short, not unless you've turned on Tracing/Logging. I was just speaking about this to my rep today.

In ReportCaster, run manually (right-click job, choose Run). There will be a dialog that pops up asking about Trace options. Select 'Schedule' to only see the job outputs, select 'Schedule and Report' to see the actual report outputs as well.

On my Windows 7.6.11 instance, the output is held in c:\ibi\ReportCaster768\trc. Note that if this is how you ran the job in the first place, you can go straight here and review the .trc file. If not, you'll have to rerun it as described above and open the output when done. The trace file will be named according to the STAT_BT_NAME as defined in BOTLOG (or right-click and review the log entry for your id). If all else fails, looks for a file created at the time you submitted the job. The text inside is very clear about what was run.

The files may be very large, I'd suggest using TextPad to view them.

Also, note that the FEX file that was submitted for execution is held in this directory.

- ABT

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks ABT. I will check it out.
I would like to see the logs while "automated job is keep running". I heard from everyone that it is not possible to see logs while a job is running.

Vaidya

Posts: 15 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: May 05, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Indeed. See my recent thread (https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/2157077895). Even though my issue was regarding a deferred job submitted via MRE, I think it is more similar than different to your ReportCaster question.

- ABT

WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Another suggestion to monitor a job as it is running, it to use the WebFOCUS server console, if you can determine which job is yours.

An extention to that would be, if you have access to the WebFOCUS server temporary directories, is to look at the jobs hold files.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post